Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This is pretty absurd...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Crisis 05 – Terror Attack at Canary Wharf
    London, Canary Wharf:
    08 : 03 : 21
    People travel to work during rush hour. Suddenly, a lorry pulls up outside 8 Canada Square in Canary Wharf, and an unknown number of masked men armed with machine guns and bulletproof vests storm into the building, shooting anyone in site while yelling: "Allahu Akbar!"

08 : 10 : 11
    CT forces surround 8 Canada Square, slightly delayed by heavy traffic, only to discover that terrorists have seized control of the building, threatening to kill the hundreds of hostages if anyone enters the building. The terrorists demand that all police and armed personnel must not be within the boundaries of the Borough of Tower Hamlets by 08:30, or they will start killing hostages every half hour that their request is not fulfilled. They will make further demands later.

08 : 14 : 55
    Reporters wait outside 10 Downing Street, expecting a statement from the Prime Minister about the hostage crisis in Canary Wharf.

08 : 20 : 34The Prime Minister still has not come out to make a statement, and reporters are now speculating about why. Suddenly, a lorry begins driving down the Victoria Embankment at a very high speed, running over pedestrians. The lorry swerves to hit as many people as it can. It then makes a sharp turn at Richmond Terrace, heading straight for Downing Street, screeches to a halt right outside Number 10 and explodes. 10 Downing Street is destroyed, and many are killed. Some, including the Prime Minister, suffer severe injuries.

08 : 30 : 00
    The terrorists at Canary Wharf make another announcement. They congratulate their fellow mujahid, the Downing Street lorry driver for his 'great work' and announce that because they could still see police in Canary Wharf, they will kill ten hostages.Ten gunshots ring out from the building. Another announcement is made that there will be another attack.

08 : 39 : 48
    By now, 10 hostages have been shot at Canary Wharf. Acting Prime Minister PetrosAC is expected to make a statement soon.

08 : 47 : 32
    BBC News reports that the Downing Street lorry driver was a refugee from Syria who was a known ISIS member. Why he was let into the UK remains to be told.

08 : 53 : 01Acting PM PetrosAC is expected to make a statement very soon. Suddenly, at least three lorries parked outside The Shard explode, severely damaging its foundations, with many people killed instantly as a result of the explosion. On the live broadcast of this explosion of BBC News, an expert says that The Shard is bound to collapse in soon, but cannot give an exact amount of time. He advises the thousands of people in the building and London Bridge Station below to evacuate immediately.

08 : 59 : 53 PetrosAC begins to make a statement about the attacks in the past hour from an undisclosed location. He says...

09 : 05 : 43
    The government acts to contain the situation by...
    And a prime minister isn't going to be prepared to make a speech a few minutes after he was injured by terrorists
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    It's not my job to interfere with Crises. In any case, it was written by your leader and I did say that this crises would be met very poorly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As a member of the Crisis Committee you have the same amount of influence over what the Crisis Committee does as Unown Uzer.

ReputationRep:
    'Crisis is implausible'...

What you mean is improbable. And by their very nature, crises are improbable. The CC shouldn't have to specify how terrorists get round a security set-up, but there is no infallible security set-up.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    As a member of the Crisis Committee you have the same amount of influence over what the Crisis Committee does as Unown Uzer.
    And I expressed views against this. I can't stop it on my own though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    In the meantime, I have taken the initiative to instruct the SAS despite it being outside of my jurisdiction.

PetrosAC may I have your permission to bring the army out onto the streets?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Why is this crisis not plausible? Terror attacks are very topical at the moment.
    You seriously need telling (again) why? Even the stupidest, moss piss take, *****y action films don't in effect work on a feather causing the world to implode!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    'Crisis is implausible'...

What you mean is improbable. And by their very nature, crises are improbable. The CC shouldn't have to specify how terrorists get round a security set-up, but there is no infallible security set-up.
    In fairness, I said 'seems frankly implausible' not 'is implausible' and thus no I did not mean 'improbable'.

However, I do understand the point you are making but I just think that this particular crisis took it one step too far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    I don't see how the work could have been done without people knowing, downing street is basically watched 24/7, people would have seen activity or heard the building works going on. And I think a lorry going at 80 odd mph could get in, it's purely, imo, a question of maybe as truth is nobody could say for certain.

As for imaginary you being hurt, I did say I thought this part was the weakest part and shouldn't be in it, but I think it makes for an interesting crisis, a bit like in secret state where the PM's plane goes missing actually
    Nobody could say for certain? :eek: Except for, you know, people who construct, test and certify those gates? If you push me, I shall find the actual requirements for a certification of some common security gates tomorrow (one would assume that the one that guards the PM of the UK is even stronger) but I hope this video will suffice (the most relevant action is at 1:44):

https://youtu.be/KT9WlALh_A4?t=1m44s

I'd also love to see a lorry that could reach 80 mph on flipping Richmond Terrace which is about 0.1 miles long. Is it pulled by pink unicorns by any chance?

You people have very little attention to detail. I could have been in a car, on a foreign visit, etc., yet you chose to put me in one of the most heavily protected buildings in the centre of London and sent a lorry with some dumb Islamic terrorist to get me, lol…
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    That would involve Liberal Party members doing something which is not going to happen.
    Well from what we have heard mobbsy could have single handedly blocked it but didn't so...
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Why is this crisis not plausible? Terror attacks are very topical at the moment.
    An attack on Downing Street, especially by a Lorry is virtually impossible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattElves)
    In fairness, I said 'seems frankly implausible' not 'is implausible' and thus no I did not mean 'improbable'.

However, I do understand the point you are making but I just think that this particular crisis took it one step too far.
    This is entirely wrong. If the probability of something occurring is >0, it is a legitimate crisis. Limiting crises to things more likely than this makes the govt's job too easy, and it is certainly not the govt's place to judge what is implausible (also fwiw my post wasn't aimed at you specifically, but the silly attitude of government members generally to this crisis).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    You seriously need telling (again) why? Even the stupidest, moss piss take, *****y action films don't in effect work on a feather causing the world to implode!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know it's unlikely but it's not completely impossible like you seem to be implying.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Well from what we have heard mobbsy could have single handedly blocked it but didn't so...

An attack on Downing Street, especially by a Lorry is virtually impossible.
    You assume TBM maintained his position that there must be unanimous support, clearly this changed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Nobody could say for certain? :eek: Except for, you know, people who construct, test and certify those gates? If you push me, I shall find the actual requirements for a certification of some common security gates tomorrow (one would assume that the one that guards the PM of the UK is even stronger) but I hope this video will suffice (the most relevant action is at 1:44):

I'd also love to see a lorry that could reach 80 mph on flipping Richmond Terrace which is about 0.1 miles long. Is it pulled by pink unicorns by any chance?

You people have very little attention to detail. I could have been in a car, on a foreign visit, etc., yet you chose to put me in one of the most heavily protected buildings in the centre of London and sent a lorry with some dumb Islamic terrorist to get me, lol…
    Fair, I hadn't seen that video, but had certainly seen speculation that the gate wasn't that great, if that is the type of gate I concede, I'm not unreasonable you know. As for reaching 80mph, the road downing street is off is long, I should know having walked up and down it a fair few times, but this is pretty pointless to continue given I agree with you on the gate.

I presume your second comment is to the cc, not me so I'll leave it unanswered

edit: also I misread the part about the shard, that is also pretty much next to impossible if not impossible, there is literally no room around that building, it's quite a squeezed area building/road wise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    To be fair you do have 3 (technically 4) members in the CC who should be making sure the Crisis's are plausible... So it's not like you don't have the power to prevent this 'antipathy'
    Do you think they care when the CC is one step from being closed down?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Fair, I hadn't seen that video, but had certainly seen speculation that the gate wasn't that great, if that is the type of gate I concede, I'm not unreasonable you know. As for reaching 80mph, the road downing street is off is long, I should know having walked up and down it a fair few times, but this is pretty pointless to continue given I agree with you on the gate.

I presume your second comment is to the cc, not me so I'll leave it unanswered
    If you think that a lorry can perform a tight turn at 80 I'm concerned, as for getting up to speed on downing street, whichever end it comes from it would need truly incredible acceleration.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The Prime Minister still hasn't come out
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    If I write a crisis that involves me wearing a balaclava and full combat gear with a replica G36 slung over my back walking up to the gates of Downing Street, taking a massive **** and firing it from a toy catapult at LPs head without being stopped, can I submit it?

DMcGovern

I feel it would be more realistic.

Edit: Sorry Life_peer - I just wanted to jump on the bandwagon of the CC's obsession with you and the nether-regions.

ReputationRep:
    If you think that a lorry can perform a tight turn at 80 I'm concerned, as for getting up to speed on downing street, whichever end it comes from it would need truly incredible acceleration.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm no driver so maybe what I am thinking wouldn't work, but coming down on the opposite side of the street and then turning slightly to move diagonally as the lorry goes down the street wouldn't affect speed I would imagine, but this could be my warped view of driving from movies and video games, and not actually be possible
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    You assume TBM maintained his position that there must be unanimous support, clearly this changed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
    DMcgoven and I belive he would have.
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Do you think they care when the CC is one step from being closed down?
    Well they have a job until they don't. If they aren't performing they should be sacked even if they are about to be made redundant.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.