Turn on thread page Beta

Americans going to Britain? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spencer11111)
    How's the academic quality of UCL compared to UPenn?

Are you doing full course at UCL or some specially arranged course for exchange purposes?
    As someone mentioned, I'm not there yet, so I can't speak on it. Although I have heard that the workload isn't as heavy at UCL, but that doesn't say much about academic quality.

And I'll be registering like everyone else. They asked us to give them an idea of what we'd like to take while there. And there are some courses geared to Study Abroad students (ie. the courses taught at museums). We can take the same classes that normal UCL students can take (unless it requires UCL prereqs). For full-year courses, we can arrange to turn in a paper at the end of the semester and just leave the course midway through.

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Those of you who got loans: what was the whole process of getting them like? I haven't really researched that much yet, just enough to know that you can use federal Stafford/etc loans and that it's possible to get private US loans for studying overseas, though I'm sure it's just a bit more complicated than getting loans to study in the US.

ReputationRep:
    I went through Sallie Mae and, while I now have all the funding I need for my schooling, it was a complete nightmare to get. They failed to tell me that there was a cap on how much money I could be loaned on one particular loan because I was going overseas. So I ended up having to get two other loands to make up the difference. In the end, I have a Stafford Loan, a Tuition Answer loan (the one with the cap), and a Student Signature (or Signature Student, I always get the two switched!). I did have a significant figure in scholarships though, so that really helped me to offset the loans. If you do go through Sallie Mae, keep in mind that they suck at communicating. On two occassions, they failed to tell us important information about the loan that really slowed down the entire process. There were many stressful phone conversations, one time in particular where I ended up on hold for about an hour and a half.

It was incredibly ridiculous at times, but in the end, I got the loans that I needed and that's the important thing. Good luck with your loan!

ReputationRep:
    Jeny Mc is this for a year, or for longer?

ReputationRep:
    This is for a year, yes, but I can re-apply each year. As long as your credit checks out and they approve it, you can continue to apply each year as far as I know. You'll have to check with your uni though to see which loan places they'll accept. For me, Leeds' Finance office recommended this company. I think it's pretty widely used overseas, but you'll have to check with your specific university to see if who they accept. Also, ask them who they recommend. The people in the Finances office have to deal with our crazy financial situations pretty often so they'll be able to tell you who's worked well for previous US students or who they generally recommend.

I forgot to add that the loans I got don't have to be repaid until like 6 months after I graduate. You can choose to start paying now or wait until you graduate with this particular company, but each will be different.

Please don't hesitate to ask me any other questions!

~Jen

ReputationRep:
    I've had a less dramatic experience with loans. I have a Stafford Loan and a private loan from Bank of America. I filled out the applications and was approved and I'm just waiting for Durham to do whatever they do. It takes a while, I'm supposing, because of the delay in mailing stuff (at least 10 days standard). My only issue with the loan application was that some pages didn't go through when I faxed it initially, but that was fixed in a couple of days.

As far as I can tell, the process for getting a domestic and international loan are the same. It's all just the same money. As long as the school is an approved one, there shouldn't be any big issues.

Jenny: what sort of scholarships did you qualify for?

ReputationRep:
    Jenny: I meant are you going to Leeds for a year, or for longer? I'm worried about the exchange rate for all of us...for example, since the end of 2006, the $30,000 total I need to save/win/earn for a year at UCL has turned into approximately $31,200...it's still a good price, but it's the policy of the US Federal Reserve at the moment to allow a decline in the dollar. I don't see a change in that policy as yet. Being optimistic, the Ecomomist forecast the dollar at being around $1.95 per 1 GBP at the end of 2007.

ReputationRep:
    Boo exchange rate. As long as it doesn't dip past 2:1 I'll be all right with it, as that's the math I do in my head to convert anyway.

Why does the Federal Reserve want the dollar to decline?

ReputationRep:
    Has to do with trade and China I think, although I'm not an economist.

ReputationRep:
    Does have to do with China since the US want to export as much as they can and let their products reach the world instead of east asian rising economies. The US are working on lowering the dollar not rising it by any means which means foriegn countries can buy US products for a rate comparable to that of China Thailand etc when you consider the quality shift. Personally, that sucks for me as my currency (BHD) is tied to the dollar so the more your dollar sinks the more I have to pay to study in the UK. Oh and talk about the international fees its like triple that of the nationals but I guess thats only fair for the residents of the country getting preference. Anyways best of luck on your finances and studies ofcourse.

ReputationRep:
    Hi pps, I'm from northern NJ and go to KCL. Have a Stafford Loan...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hashem)
    Does have to do with China since the US want to export as much as they can and let their products reach the world instead of east asian rising economies. The US are working on lowering the dollar not rising it by any means which means foriegn countries can buy US products for a rate comparable to that of China Thailand etc when you consider the quality shift. Personally, that sucks for me as my currency (BHD) is tied to the dollar so the more your dollar sinks the more I have to pay to study in the UK. Oh and talk about the international fees its like triple that of the nationals but I guess thats only fair for the residents of the country getting preference. Anyways best of luck on your finances and studies ofcourse.
    Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. So how do they lower the worth of a dollar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hashem)
    Personally, that sucks for me as my currency (BHD) is tied to the dollar so the more your dollar sinks the more I have to pay to study in the UK.
    If the Americans continue to reduce the account deficit between them and other nations by continuing to allow the dollar to drop against foreign currencies, would currencies that are tied to the dollar be be taken off it? I hear that Cuban pesos are so worthless outside of Cuba, they are forced to continue to track the dollar, even if it decreases in value, is this the case elsewhere, like in Bahrain?

ReputationRep:
    Why can't they track the Euro?

ReputationRep:
    Sarbruis, I actually didn't qualify for any scholarships from Leeds because I'm a US citizen. I got all of my scholarships from local service clubs or local scholarship foundations. Some of them I can reapply for next year but the big ones were for graduating seniors only. Anyway, I was very fortunate to be awarded what I was so no complaints here!

dismal_laundry, well that makes sense now, haha! Sorry about the misunderstanding. I think I answered your question already but incase not, yes, I am studying for more than a year. Three actually; I'm getting my BA from Leeds in Broadcast Journalism. I know what you mean though, the rising declining value of our dollar is quite sad and really sucks for us! Just keep the prize in mind: we get excellent educations and experiences that our peers will never have by staying back in the US. We have a chance to immerse ourselves in the culture and history we were taught about in high school. That's surreal to me! I'm still struggling to wrap my mind around the fact that in two months, I'll have started classes at the school I've dreamed about attending for over a year.

Haha, I'll stop now before a passionate recreation of my UCAS personal statement ensues!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trotsky)
    If the Americans continue to reduce the account deficit between them and other nations by continuing to allow the dollar to drop against foreign currencies, would currencies that are tied to the dollar be be taken off it? I hear that Cuban pesos are so worthless outside of Cuba, they are forced to continue to track the dollar, even if it decreases in value, is this the case elsewhere, like in Bahrain?

Actually the tie is more of a political issue than an economic its the US's way of making alliances abroad and making sure that when sinking the dollar they dont lose out on foriegn importers. In the case of the BHD it is actually frowned upon to even mention why we are tied to the dollar (sourced from a government official) anyways the tied currencies to the dollar are not there to stabalize their currencies, but to support the US dollar and make it a world wide currency, something which has goals beyond that of economics. Tbh it is a clever trick when you have full support no matter how much your currency sinks. The cubans for example have a weak currency especially abroad because the US are troubeling their trade and making trade with Cuba a frowned upon act so countries dont buy from Cuba (political motives).

ReputationRep:
    Very good points...

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.