The Student Room Group

Tom daley only worthy of Bronze because

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by BRONZEMEDAL1
He has spent too much time on social media posing his narcissm instead of training for the very thing that got him famous in the first place.

Hahahaha I was so looking forward to seeing the reason - you did not disappoint!

I don't think this would stand up to much scrutiny though, sorry
Original post by Bornblue
Ee
The scale makes all the difference though.
If you got an A in maths A Level and were really proud of it and someone else got a C, would you not think it ridiculous for them to belittle your achievement or say it's not worth celebrating because you didn't get an a*? I would.

No it doesn't, you're arguing that unless you've achieved better than someone else you can knock what they've done.

Well you did say it was 'probably a significant factor' as opposed to merely a 'possible factor'. It may well be a factor but in my opinion it is more to do with the greater emphasis and money they put into sports, especially at college level. In addition with a bigger population their odds of having talented natural sportsmen are greater.

Yes I believe it probably is, even if its one of three different factors then it's quite significant. Add that to what I said about how worshiped winners are the US and how ignored 'losers' are and it seems even more likely to be a motivator.

Its very personal really. For example if Andy Murray was to win bronze he would understandably be disappointed as when Djokovic went out, he was the red hot favorite and as the highest ranked player left, he would expect gold. However I would not say he has no right to celebrate bronze, given that any Olympic medal is a great achievement.

But regardless of his expectation it would still be a phenomenal achievement so even if he was disappointed surely that's ridiculous?

On the other hand if the tournament gave a wildcard to some 17 year old Brazilian kid ranked 500 on the world and he managed to surprise everyone and win bronze, he'd be understandably delighted as he would never have been expected to achieve that. To call him a loser and say he shouldn't celebrate or that celebrating sets a bad example, would be really unfair.

In a situation like that I would agree, a person like that should be proud of bronze. The difference is I doubt a 17 year old ranked 500th in the world would be seen as a national hero and lauded as though he's an incredible tennis player.

Tom and Dan were never going to win gold because they Chinese pair were ridiculously good and have trained together for many years which is a big advantage in synchronised diving where you need to have an almost telepathic understanding of each other. Tom and Dan had only been a team for a few months so to win any medal in a really tough competition was a really good achievement and again it's really unfair to say that celebrating sets a bad example.

You're missing my point, if he hadn't been so celebrated in this country then I wouldn't have a problem with it. I have a problem with the fact that people make out as though he's this superstar yet he hasn't ever won an Olympic gold. The GB men's pursuit team broke the world record tonight and will probably win gold before the night is over yet most people in this country would only recognise the name of one of them.

I think it would set a really good example; it teaches children not to be happy with being third, be happy with winning.

That's a bit like someone saying no one can know that they wouldn't beat Michael Phelps because they haven't gone swimming before. Absence of evidence is evidence of absence.
I've never tried diving, but I think its safe to assume that I wouldn't be as good as an Olympic medalist.

No it's like saying someone might have been able to beat Michael Phelps if they'd religiously trained to be a swimmer. He's a bad example to use because he has the perfect body and is pretty much genetically made to swim. You wouldn't win a medal if you tried right now but if you'd been doing since you were a kid then who knows.

He's won a host of other championships and medals and has shown he's one of the best in the world. He's also only 22.
Murray has never been ranked 1 in the world and may never be, that doesn't mean he shouldn't be a national sporting hero. We should recognize great sporting achievements and winning an Olympic medal is one of them. Daley is a multiple World, European and Commonwealth Champion and an Olympic medalist. You'd be some tough parent if you don't think that's a phenomenal achievement!

Murray has won Majors and also has an Olympic gold (and will probably have another soon). In sports like diving the Olympics is what really matters and Daley has never won gold.

Well what are your greatest achievements? What wouldn't you trade?

I wouldn't trade my 1st in Law from a world 1% university and training contract for a bronze medal in diving.

It comes down go to the fact you're being incredibly harsh in criticising two people for winning an Olympic Bronze medal in a very tough competition. You're not always going to win good but that didn't mean you can't be bloody proud of your achievements.

I didn't criticise two people, I criticised the guy who's made out to be amazing despite never winning when it really matters.

You can choose to view then as the third best in the world or as the second losers, I know which one demonstrates a miserable armchair expert and which one demonstrates appreciation for a phenomenal sporting achievement . Describing someone as celebrating a bronze medal as celebrating losing really does make you seem bitter about them.

1. I'm not being an armchair expert as I'm not actually critiquing his diving skill.
2. How can I be bitter? That would imply that I feel hard done by.
Jesus christ was the **** is with the constant *****ing about Daley at the Olympics. Every single ****ing olympics he's competed in, someone has to ***** and moan he isn't doing well enough. These comments all being made by people that are probably fused to their chairs by now for being so ****ing lazy themselves.
Original post by Underscore__

Yes I believe it probably is, even if its one of three different factors then it's quite significant. Add that to what I said about how worshiped winners are the US and how ignored 'losers' are and it seems even more likely to be a motivator.

I agree the mentality is different but in my opinion there are bigger factors. As well as a winning mentality, having world class sporting facilities and a country which invests huge amount into developing sporting talents really does help. Its one of the reasons we are so good at rowing. Its one of the few sports our universities invest so much in.

But regardless of his expectation it would still be a phenomenal achievement so even if he was disappointed surely that's ridiculous?

I would agree that any medal is a great achievement and it would be ridiculous for any of us to call him a loser. But he himself may be disappointed but that's because he would expect to win because he's the highest ranked in the competition. Daley and Dan were not expected to win, they did well to get a medal in a very tough field considering the other teams had been together for years. A bronze was a great achievement in the circumstances and I don't think it's wrong that they celebrated.

In a situation like that I would agree, a person like that should be proud of bronze. The difference is I doubt a 17 year old ranked 500th in the world would be seen as a national hero and lauded as though he's an incredible tennis player.

Well Daley is a great diver. He won the world championship at the age of just 15 and has a host of other golds even though he is still only 22.
I'd also argue that his status as an icon is also to do with how he's matured well in the public spotlight, dealt with difficult conditions and is generally a very likeable guy and a role model, as well as a phenomenal sportsman.

You're missing my point, if he hadn't been so celebrated in this country then I wouldn't have a problem with it. I have a problem with the fact that people make out as though he's this superstar yet he hasn't ever won an Olympic gold. The GB men's pursuit team broke the world record tonight and will probably win gold before the night is over yet most people in this country would only recognise the name of one of them.

He has won a lot though as mentioned and is one of the very best in the world at his sport. As for olympics, in Beijing he was only 14, so it's unfair to judge him harshly. In London he was coming off the back of his father's death which hit him very hard but he still won a very good bronze and was close to gold. In Rio he won bronze with a partner who was far weaker than him and he still has the individual event to come. He's still only 22 and has two, possibly three more Olympics left.

I think it would set a really good example; it teaches children not to be happy with being third, be happy with winning.

You can't always win though and sometimes you should be happy with giving it your absolute all and coming third in the world. It would almost have looked arrogant if they didn't celebrate given that they realistically had little chance of winning.

I wouldn't trade my 1st in Law from a world 1% university and training contract for a bronze medal in diving.

That's very impressive, congratulations. Which firm do you have a TC with? I'm in the process of applying, have a couple of interviews coming up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would agree that any medal is a great achievement and it would be ridiculous for any of us to call him a loser. But he himself may be disappointed but that's because he would expect to win because he's the highest ranked in the competition. Daley and Dan were not expected to win, they did well to get a medal in a very tough field considering the other teams had been together for years. A bronze was a great achievement in the circumstances and I don't think it's wrong that they celebrated.

Realistically if Murray only wins bronze people will think he's let himself down and it won't be celebrated like Daley's bronze. That's because Murray has shown he can win the biggest competitions and deserves the acclaim he gets.

Well Daley is a great diver. He won the world championship at the age of just 15 and has a host of other golds even though he is still only 22.
I'd also argue that his status as an icon is also to do with how he's matured well in the public spotlight, dealt with difficult conditions and is generally a very likeable guy and a role model, as well as a phenomenal sportsman.

Of course he's good at it, I would never say he isn't. I just have a problem with how hyped up he is despite never winning in the olympics but that seems to be the way with sports here, you see it in football all the time. Is diving not quite like gymnastics where the winners are usually young? The Chinese divers were 20 and 25 and the US divers were 20 and 26. Aside from competing in the olympics he's gone through things a lot of teenagers have. Yes he's had to do it in the public eye somewhat but he's all but forgotten about unless he's teaching celebrities how to dive or the olympics is on. There's also difference between saying someone grown up well and praising them for being this amazing athlete despite never winning when it really counts.

He has won a lot though as mentioned and is one of the very best in the world at his sport. As for olympics, in Beijing he was only 14, so it's unfair to judge him harshly. In London he was coming off the back of his father's death which hit him very hard but he still won a very good bronze and was close to gold. In Rio he won bronze with a partner who was far weaker than him and he still has the individual event to come. He's still only 22 and has two, possibly three more Olympics left.

Diving is a young persons sport, if you look back at medalists you'll see they're generally teenagers when they win their first medal.

You can't always win though and sometimes you should be happy with giving it your absolute all and coming third in the world. It would almost have looked arrogant if they didn't celebrate given that they realistically had little chance of winning.

Well I suppose we just disagree on that.

That's very impressive, congratulations. Which firm do you have a TC with? I'm in the process of applying, have a couple of interviews coming up.

It's with Clifford Chance. Good luck in your interviews, which firms are they with?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No. He lost because he didn't do STEM at Oxbridge.
Tom Daly is SOOOO overrated. He's won a bronze (which okay is a wonderful achievement) but so many other GB athletes have won Gold and Silver and they've not been given half the recognition and media time he has. He hasn't even improved since the last olympics, he got a bronze again. Where's your journey Tom?
Original post by BRONZEMEDAL1
He's compromising his energies on being narccist.

Shame you can't "compromise your energies" on spell-checking your posts.
Can we now accept Tom Daley is the most overrated British athlete?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending