Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Petition: Should assisted suicide be legalised in the UK? Watch

(Original post by Reachin4TheStars)
    That's true 👍🏼
    No it isn't.
    you can't say for definite 'that's true' because you don't know that for a fact you are just basing it on your own religious beliefs.

If i wanted to kill myself rn no 'God' would stop me and i think those that aren't physically able to should also be entitled to that right.

ReputationRep:
    No. What is it with TSR that homosexuality isn't acceptable, transgender-ism isn't acceptable but over half the people in this thread think assisted suicide is? Does it just exist to directly oppose my views? (In the past week alone I've seen at least 1 thread where there has been homophobia or transaphobia(? Is that even a word?).
    But, on assisted suicide. It is so open to abuse, and however many controls you put on it, someone will find a way through or a loop hole, e.g. bullying their gran into doing it to get the inheritance etc. It's stupidity. Except for the fact that the person has willingly put themselves in the position it is blatant murder. Not even 100 years ago you'd be hanged for murder yet now here we are considering that consensual murder should be legalised? How far has society fallen?.
    But in my opinion murder is murder, now matter how you sugar coat it, it is still murder and should be treated as such.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    Killing someone else is murder though? I thought everyone knew that...?
    Show me where I said killing yourself = murderer

Posted from TSR Mobile
    you can't compare killing someone who wants to die to killing someone who doesn't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by defenestrated)
    you can't compare killing someone who wants to die to killing someone who doesn't
    I'm talking about ASSISTED suicide here.
    Killing is still killing at the end of the day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I didn't even use the word murderer in that sentence lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So? It was clearly implied. :facepalm: If you think someone who kills themselves isn't a murderer then say so.

ReputationRep:
    Nope.
    Never

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    So? It was clearly implied. :facepalm: If you think someone who kills themselves isn't a murderer then say so.
    No it wasn't. You are 'implying' stuff wrong.
    I didn't state that in the first place, you did.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    http://lisybabe.blogspot.co.uk/2014/...screaming.html

The clearest arguments against AS I've come across.

The descriptions of her interactions with Doctors is similar to Mik Scarlet's story of being operated on without his consent: http://www.fittleworth.net/news-even...uccess-failure

|Add in that 82% of the doctors who have the most expertise in end of life care would not want to work in a system that allowed AS (https://www.ehospice.com/uk/Default/...ticleId/13677/ ) and it's clear to me that a change to the law in our current society would not lead to improved deaths.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm talking about assisted suicide too?
    it's obviously still killing but with completely different intentions and with consent
    so you can't say someone who does that is on the same level as a murderer
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    No it wasn't. You are 'implying' stuff wrong.
    I didn't state that in the first place, you did.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You didn't need to state it, you implied it. That's what implied means. :rolleyes: Anyway, as you won't now categorically say that someone who kills themselves isn't a murderer then I think it's safe to assume you do think that.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't even use the word murderer in that sentence lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's what's inferred

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salamandastron)
    No it isn't.
    you can't say for definite 'that's true' because you don't know that for a fact you are just basing it on your own religious beliefs.

If i wanted to kill myself rn no 'God' would stop me and i think those that aren't physically able to should also be entitled to that right.
    I meant that's true from my own beliefs. I guess I have to clear that up everytisme I say something.
    Ik a God couldn't stop you but what I want saying is that no child can be born with any random person walking down that street saying 'oh you're gonaa have a baby' and it happens there has to be another bigger and more powerful force that makes these things happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScienceFantatic)
    It's what's inferred
    Inferred wrong.
    Anyways I've clarified myself now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No its not.
    If a human kills another who is in such a position that it is highly favorable to die and they are unable to end their life themselves (in their wishes and with their consent), then that is arguably morally good. If however, you go and simply kill someone at random, then obviously... morally not so good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    No its not.
    If a human kills another who is in such a position that it is highly favorable to die and they are unable to end their life themselves (in their wishes and with their consent), then that is arguably morally good. If however, you go and simply kill someone at random, then obviously... morally not so good.
    Your opinion but I disagree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Inferred wrong.
    Anyways I've clarified myself now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No you haven't - I've asked you twice now to do so but you haven't replied.

ReputationRep:
    Your opinion but I disagree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why do you disagree?
    I hope your argument isn't based on something as fickle as religion.

ReputationRep:
    Yes as long as the person is of sound mind and at least 18 years old. I would support it quite umm, can't think of a term.. broadly? as it's always an individuals choice whether they wish to die or not.

ReputationRep:
    yes i think so because after all it is the other person's choice. escpecially if they are in so much paain and suffering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    No you haven't - I've asked you twice now to do so but you haven't replied.
    I don't understand if you have difficulty reading or something?
    You are literally asking me to spell it out for you. I have already told you twice that my post didn't mean those that kill themselves are murderers, so I don't understand your problem?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.