Turn on thread page Beta

UK Politics - BNP & BBC1s "Secret Agent" Programme watch

ReputationRep:
    And the effect of this documentary is that its given a hell of a lot of publicity to the BNP. Lots of people will read between the lines of the documentary, I'm not a fan of the BNP and I found some of what was said offensive especially John Tyndalls comments BUT the programme did not seem particularly well done to me, in six months worth of filming they only came up with a handful of party members and activists who had done anything racially offensive. The journalist somehow didnt manage to have his tape recorder running or his secret camera on when certain events took place, and the documentary appeared to be sensationalist, I bet if you filmed secretly within any organisation for six months you would find at least a handful of dodgy characters.
    But what disturbed me most about the documentary was that whenever someone from the BNP was caught on camera saying something that didnt fit with the documentaries opinion of the BNP it was immediately discredited by the journalist.
    For example he said that the guy who said that he had no problem with asylum seekers who have been long time residents of the UK and full taxpayers etc. was only saying that because he was suspicious that he was a journalist. Personally I would rather had the chance to make up my mind about it rather than being subjected to the journalists running commentary.

The tapes full tapes have now been given to the police I believe but whats the betting that very few if any charges will be brought.
    I'm not saying that there arent problems within the BNP but I wasnt too impressed with the quality of the journalism to be honest.
    I bet the result of this would be that a lot of people would log on to the BNP website today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)
    The leadership of the BNP is very different to the types of people that actually support. Their leadership is very clever (isn't their leader a Cambridge grad ), and their election tactics more often than not actually work pretty well. They're really good and latching onto certain issues to gain a political momentum.

I'm all for any party having a say, we live in a democracy after all. But some of the comments of those that were shown on the film were either insiteful or went against the democratic process - didn't a prospective BNP councillor call democracy something ... ?
    I believe that Free Speech is one of the most important things any modern society can have.
    I found the extremist thugs appalling.
    I found Nick Griffin to be a true master of politics
    I found the views of the thugs disgusting
    I disagree with the views of Nick Griffin, and the official party policies

A good example of where Free Speech is necessary was Talk Sport radio, when they hosted an Israel/Palestine phone in debate. According to the radio authority, both sides of the argument filed complaints claiming the presenter was racially biased against them and towards the other side. Without Free Speech, then this radio presenter would risk being in jail both for being Zionist, and Anti-Semitic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benm)
    Errrr
    Dream on. These media fascists pathetic attempts to propagandise British people into abandoning their only hope won't work..
    Oh dear... are you serious? I mean lets forget about the racism for a second ( because a party who believes ' We are against mixed-raced relationships because we believe that all species and races of life on this planet are beautiful and must be preserved. When whites take partners from other ethnic groups, a white family line that stretches back into deep pre-history is destroyed. And, of course, the same is true of the non-white side. We want generations that spring from us to be the same as us, look like us, and be moved by the same things as us. We feel that to preserve the rich tapestry of mankind, we must preserve ethnic differences, not ‘mish-mash’ them together' clearly couldn't be racist). The fact remains that their economic policies still seem like they've been thrown together by an unitelligent 6 year old.

ReputationRep:
    One point which has come up on a regular basis is the comment that 'it's a effort to distract people from the BNP's policies'. What I want to know is why on earth anyone other than the BNP themselves would want people to be distracted from their policies, everytime I read them they seem even more ridiculous than I remembered.

ReputationRep:
    But I don't think Nick Griffin believes all of that stuff he said - he has to keep popular with party membrs and that involves idiotic and uneducated insults.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benm)

The fact that these sort of people exist within the membership of the [BNP} does not make the party racist any more than the existence of paedophiles in the Liberal Democrats make their party advocates of paedophilia.
    If a party was founded by ex-members of the Paedophile Liberation Front and most of its members had convictions for paedophilia then you would be justified in suspecting their motives for forming a new party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    Racist, no... Islam is a respected worldwide religion rather than a race of people so, no - it is not racist, but it's wrong and bigotted all the same...
    Unfortunately, islam does not teach respect for other religions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    Unfortunately, islam does not teach respect for other religions.
    Depends on the interpretations you make of it's teachings, most religions tend to be very intolerant when taken to the extreme. Just take a look at what the Bush presidency is doing in the US. Christianity is dangerous too. We should try and stop all forms of religious extremism, they are all threats.

In reply to benm: The BNP is not secretly racist, it's openly racist. One of it's Economic policies is to force racial discrimination in the job market. The BNP wants whites to be given preference regardless of competance. This is just one of the many policies the BNP has that would help cripple our economy making the UK a third world nation. The BNP is bad for Britain, racist or not.

ReputationRep:
    I thought the BBC were supposed to be politically neutral. (then again, all that red in the BBC newsroom kinda gives it away)

Why did they have to be so sneaky and underhand? They should have been more professional.

It's just as much of a rasist generalisation to say "sikhs are great people" as it is to say "muslims are bad people".

Why are those who support free speech so intollerant of the views held by the BNP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    I thought the BBC were supposed to be politically neutral. (then again, all that red in the BBC newsroom kinda gives it away)
    It's also a gr8 public service broadcaster who's investigative journalism has done some gr8 work in the past, that otherwise would never have happened.

Why did they have to be so sneaky and underhand? They should have been more professional.
    How? Go up to one of the thugs and ask em ?

Why are those who support free speech so intollerant of the views held by the BNP?
    I respect people who have views contrary to mine on things like asylum, immigration, reptriation etc, but what the programme was trying to tell us was behind the fascade lies a lurkier kinda party that do not necessary believe in democracy (one councillor said) and use violence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)

I have no problem with free speech, however with free speech comes the possibilty of self-incrimination, you cannot have one without the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    I have no problem with free speech, however with free speech comes the possibilty of self-incrimination, you cannot have one without the other.
    He is only being incriminated because, to some, the criminal laws are wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I didnt even see what the fuss over the programme was.
    Racist? lol whats the first thing you think of when an asian pisses you off, packi simple.
    And anyone who gets offended by words is pretty weak in their character if u ask me. The reason why such anti British nationalism, anti American, establishments such as the BBC show such programmes is because they are jealous. They are so annoyed that for years they have preached about the greatness of multi culturalism and the riots we saw years ago made them hush.
    800,000 votes in the european elections? that cant be a ignorable minority, we need to face facts, no the politions need to face facts that whites in this country are sick of being made 2nd class citizens to a pro foregin government and poltical status quo.
    Within 20 years we shall see some serious changes within our society, lets make the right choice, the right choice for the british and the British alone.

Lets say for arguments sake that this is true - just as an example as to why the law is wrong. (wether it is true i leave to u this is merely a hypothosis)

Nick Griffin said Islam is the new threat to the world, sweeping nation after nation and how we need to stand united to defeat it. (along these lines atleast)
    Now like i said IF this WAS true, that Islam was taking over and say a global religious 'battle' was in progress, then the law would stop him from telling the truth even, because it incites racial hatred. Well wot BS.

All this aside i'm glad the BNP will get some more publicity and so the nationalist cause can be brought before the country once again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blood & Honour)
    Racist? lol whats the first thing you think of when an asian pisses you off, packi simple.
    On the programme they were calling everyone that, whether any1 pissed anyone off or not.

And anyone who gets offended by words is pretty weak in their character if u ask me. The reason why such anti British nationalism, anti American, establishments such as the BBC show such programmes is because they are jealous. They are so annoyed that for years they have preached about the greatness of multi culturalism and the riots we saw years ago made them hush.
    I think a lot of people support the BNP maybe cos of a slight "jealousy"; for example "why does that Asian get a nice house whilst I'm on an estate..., must be cos of PC blah blah..."

Nick Griffin said Islam is the new threat to the world, sweeping nation after nation and how we need to stand united to defeat it. (along these lines atleast)
    What evidence is there of this. How many muslim countires have declared wars to spread Islam recently?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)

What evidence is there of this. How many muslim countires have declared wars to spread Islam recently?
    Jesus Christ did i not stress IF this were true, fecking liberals

ReputationRep:
    Jesus Christ did i not stress IF this were true, fecking liberals
    But in the documentary he was saying that.

ReputationRep:
    jesus, no not if it was true he sed it, he did say it, IF it were ****ing true that islam was taking over nations.
    You are really thick u no that?

ReputationRep:
    jesus, no not if it was true he sed it, he did say it, IF it were ****ing true that islam was taking over nations.
    You are really thick u no that?
    For ****s sake will you just listen to yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    For ****s sake will you just listen to yourself.
    .......yeh?

ReputationRep:
    800,000 votes in the european elections? that cant be a ignorable minority, we need to face facts, no the politions need to face facts that whites in this country are sick of being made 2nd class citizens to a pro foregin government and poltical status quo.
    Within 20 years we shall see some serious changes within our society, lets make the right choice, the right choice for the british and the British alone.

Lets say for arguments sake that this is true - just as an example as to why the law is wrong. (wether it is true i leave to u this is merely a hypothosis)

Now like i said IF this WAS true, that Islam was taking over and say a global religious 'battle' was in progress, then the law would stop him from telling the truth even, because it incites racial hatred. Well wot BS.

All this aside i'm glad the BNP will get some more publicity and so the nationalist cause can be brought before the country once again.
    Ladies and gentlemen, the next exhibit, named Blood & Honour, is something we call a jingoist.

The problem with specimens such as him is the deluded world they live in. Absolute self rightousness, the repudiation of multiculturalism and complete ignorance of the complexity of the world we live in are all telltale signs of a jingoist such as this.

And now I present a map (shown below) roughly showing the Asian continent. Here we can see that any time a person of Asian descent annoys Blood & Honour he thinks "Paki." I could only laugh (otherwise I would cry) when our friend Blood & Honour here calls those from eastern Russia or Japan Pakis.
    Attached Images

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.