Turn on thread page Beta

Are you doing A2 Eng Lang A2 Sociology and AS Law next year or just AS Law?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstinx)
    Are you doing A2 Eng Lang A2 Sociology and AS Law next year or just AS Law?
    Next year (starting now and finishing summer 2008) I'll be doing A2 Eng Lang, A2 Sociology and AS Law. Possibility of A2 General Studies too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clefeen206)
    This topic has alarmed me.

I'm applying to uni for Sept 2008 entry.
    I'm only doing full 2 A levels in English Language and Sociology. I got C,D for AS last year and they have been certified. I have just resat all the modules. I'm wanting to get in to do Sociology or Social Work at Manchester Met, Liverpool John Moores or Uclan. I also have AS's in ICT (D) and General Studies (E) however my new centre isn't offering these as options, although I spoke to my head of year and she said I could maybe sit A2 General Studies. I'm also going to pick up Law AS.

The reason I couldn't do 3 A levels was because I moved centres due to family problems, not my lack of motivation. I was going to try and do an A level in a full year but I was told not to as I could end up with a U with all the pressure and it would pull my efforts on my current subjects down.

Any advice would be good advice. Thanks!
    Don't be too alarmed. If you're not aiming for the top universities, the situation is different. I checked all three universities that you listed and they all want a number of points from all your qualifications including 2 A2s, so you should be fine. I would personally try and do A2 General Studies but just make sure your teacher mentions your circumstances when you apply and I think you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    It depends what your a levels are. If you had two As, i think you could get into Hull.
    My friend's brother phoned up and got in with BDE for ENGLISH (competetive, yah?) and got in. And the B wasn't in English.

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who got into Hertfordshire with DDU.That being said, she now has a non-graduate job that doesn't pay very well.

I'm not sure someone with such low grades should go straight to university. Get some work experience first, then find a course that you can top up your skills with. If it turns out to be a bachelors, great; if not, you can still get further education in something more appropriate for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clefeen206)
    This topic has alarmed me.

I'm applying to uni for Sept 2008 entry.
    I'm only doing full 2 A levels in English Language and Sociology. I got C,D for AS last year and they have been certified. I have just resat all the modules. I'm wanting to get in to do Sociology or Social Work at Manchester Met, Liverpool John Moores or Uclan. I also have AS's in ICT (D) and General Studies (E) however my new centre isn't offering these as options, although I spoke to my head of year and she said I could maybe sit A2 General Studies. I'm also going to pick up Law AS.

The reason I couldn't do 3 A levels was because I moved centres due to family problems, not my lack of motivation. I was going to try and do an A level in a full year but I was told not to as I could end up with a U with all the pressure and it would pull my efforts on my current subjects down.

Any advice would be good advice. Thanks!
    Do A2 General Studies if you can so you'll have 3 A-levels and 2 AS levels, but if that's not possible, 2 A-levels and 3 AS levels should be fine for those unis as long as you can get enough points.

ReputationRep:
    I applied this year with only 2 A levels.
    2 A2's and 2 A's's

I got offers from
    - Swansea
    - UWE
    - Plymouth
    - Southampton Solent

But Portsmouth offered me a HND instead & i'm pretty pissed cos it's my first choice!

ReputationRep:
    I have only done two A Levels, but have built up a lot of work experience.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to good unis on good courses on 2 full a-levels.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand the defeatist attitude of some members here. There are plenty of Universities that accept two A-Levels. Admittedly they're mostly outside of the top 30 or so Unis, but does that render a degree from them useless? You will be accepted to numerous Universities with two A-Levels, as long as your predicted grades are reasonable, I assure you. They might not necessarily be the best Universities, but don't let people kid you into thinking that the Universities rated between 40th and 60th are useless either.

Because, contrary to popular belief, they're not. And this attitude that you might as well get a job is pretty far out too. You won't get a decent job, especially not around where I'm living, and you certainly won't get a decent wage either. If you work hard and get a degree (2:1 or First) you should be able to do well for yourself irrespective of the University it came from. I know a few people who have graduated from a less prestigious University with a decent degree, and they are currently doing well for themselves.

So basically, don't listen to the advice of the many ignorant members of The Student Room. However, make sure your reach does not exceed your grasp. You're not going to get into Oxford or Cambridge with two A-Levels. The likes of Swansea, Nottingham Trent, Keele - which are all decent Unis - will accept two A-Levels for definite. As some have mentioned already, there are even some prestigious Universities who will accept two A-Levels, assuming the circumstances are extenuating. Good luck anyway, whatever you go with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by readjono)
    I have only done two A Levels, but have built up a lot of work experience.
    This is what iv done. It all depends on what you are applying for. Please don't let some of the members here with there "if its not top 30 its not worth it" because it IS worth it. I've done a tonne of work experience and as a result im getting unconditional offers. Also a lot of unis work on the basis of ucas points and so how many a-levels you have often doesn't really come into it, just whether you have the points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie_auk)
    This is what iv done. It all depends on what you are applying for. Please don't let some of the members here with there "if its not top 30 its not worth it" because it IS worth it. I've done a tonne of work experience and as a result im getting unconditional offers. Also a lot of unis work on the basis of ucas points and so how many a-levels you have often doesn't really come into it, just whether you have the points.
    The unconditionals are probably more to do with the fact you've got the full A levels than anything.

Even the universities who work on UCAS points put conditions on it. It's not as simple as "Get X amount of points." It's almost always "Get X amount of points from Y/excluding Z," even at the universities outside the top 30. Otherwise you could get in to do Mathematics on the grounds you know how to ride a horse and having never done an A2.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I worked full time when I was 18, sat 2 full A levels in the space of a couple of months, got two D's and applied to uni.

I got into Kent, my first choice

I also got accepted by Glasgow, UCE, Wolverhampton, Newman College, and Exeter through clearing.

It's perfectly possible to get into uni with 2 A levels, as long as you have a reason for only having 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MGT_90)
    The unconditionals are probably more to do with the fact you've got the full A levels than anything.

Even the universities who work on UCAS points put conditions on it. It's not as simple as "Get X amount of points." It's almost always "Get X amount of points from Y/excluding Z," even at the universities outside the top 30. Otherwise you could get in to do Mathematics on the grounds you know how to ride a horse and having never done an A2.
    Either way the "no its pointless" crap was worthless to the person asking advice.

ReputationRep:
    I'm into SOAS with but two A Levels to my name. I think I had extenuating circumstances though. You could argue that I'm a mature student too...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toothpastecrazy)
    Soz if this has been answered, but I couldn't see it.

Will anywhere have you? If so, is it only the really, really crappy ones?

I'm STRESSSSSSSSSING about this ...
    Ignore the naysayers, of course it is.
    Probably wont get into any of the very 'top' uni's though lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeatForest)
    I don't understand the defeatist attitude of some members here. There are plenty of Universities that accept two A-Levels. Admittedly they're mostly outside of the top 30 or so Unis, but does that render a degree from them useless? You will be accepted to numerous Universities with two A-Levels, as long as your predicted grades are reasonable, I assure you. They might not necessarily be the best Universities, but don't let people kid you into thinking that the Universities rated between 40th and 60th are useless either.

Because, contrary to popular belief, they're not. And this attitude that you might as well get a job is pretty far out too. You won't get a decent job, especially not around where I'm living, and you certainly won't get a decent wage either. If you work hard and get a degree (2:1 or First) you should be able to do well for yourself irrespective of the University it came from. I know a few people who have graduated from a less prestigious University with a decent degree, and they are currently doing well for themselves.

So basically, don't listen to the advice of the many ignorant members of The Student Room. However, make sure your reach does not exceed your grasp. You're not going to get into Oxford or Cambridge with two A-Levels. The likes of Swansea, Nottingham Trent, Keele - which are all decent Unis - will accept two A-Levels for definite. As some have mentioned already, there are even some prestigious Universities who will accept two A-Levels, assuming the circumstances are extenuating. Good luck anyway, whatever you go with.
    This forum is full of elitists

ReputationRep:
    Imperial will consider students with two A-levels and two AS's. Other than them, I don't know of any other top 30 Universities that will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie_auk)
    Totally. Sometimes what you've done in work experience can be more crucial than a third a-level. It can be what stands out more.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    When I applied to uni I got an offer from Carmarthan for EE at A Level.

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.