Turn on thread page Beta

Things that freak you out on the road! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Only heavy rain unnerves me, especially on motorways.

I tend to be overtaken by lorries on motorways, they are alright then and rely on you to let them know when to pull back in.

If anyone on here has ever tried driving a lorry I'd imagine it is rather trickier than they would think to judge the length of the lorry accurately

Oh, and anyone doing more than 80 on motorways has to be stupid to complain about the driving skills of other people. Overtaking lorries by 20+ mph when you know there is a possible risk of them pulling out is daft.

Dead Babies :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wesetters)
    Anyone driving slow enough to be overtaken by a lorry shouldn't be on the motorway.
    I take the choice to drive at 55/60 MPH rather than 65 as it (either of my cars) is happier at those speeds. Driving at 55MPH on motorways isn't dangerous, and I am far more aware of the things around me than most drivers are.

And you try driving a 36 year old van with 50bhp and 4 gears any much faster

Excessive speed is much more dangerous than people who do not break the speed limit every waking minute.

And, in theory, your post implies most lorries shouldn't be on the road either... (possibly a fair point!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tofufi)
    I take the choice to drive at 55/60 MPH rather than 65 as it (either of my cars) is happier at those speeds. Driving at 55MPH on motorways isn't dangerous, and I am far more aware of the things around me than most drivers are.

Excessive speed is much more dangerous than people who do not break the speed limit every waking minute.

And, in theory, your post implies most lorries shouldn't be on the road either... (possibly a fair point!)
    Have you noticed there are hardly any accidents on toll roads even though most people drive in excess of 100mph and the Police turn a blind eye. Coincidentaly theres 0 lorry's on toll roads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tofufi)

What have you got? 36 year old van... hmm...
    Allegro? Herald Courier? Marina? dont tease! supply pics!

ReputationRep:
    Chav drivers! Especially when they think I want to race them at the traffic lights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Camper van I think.

ReputationRep:
    Where I live in leicestershire, nr Bardon, the huge stocking Bardon lorries should give way, but no they just roll right out onto the main road. Few times that ive had to put the brakes on, else I would have been road kill. I think the wheels are the same height as my car!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    I've posted pics up on here before...
    both of this and of my 42 year old beetle

Looks a wreck but I've got it MOTd now. I did get it up to about 80 (mph)once, but that was on an empty A-Road before a huge hill (it's not quick up hills!). I lost 30mph by the top of the hill, despite my foot being flat on the floor all the way :rolleyes:

I'd love an Allegro though, one of my dream cars (Sad heh). With an A series Turbo motor, banded steels and a blanket on the rear shelf, a proper street sleeper. Someday I'll get round to building one :cool:
    Oh, and the newest Allegros are only 33 now

ReputationRep:
    Nothing really freak's me out although Flowers placed by the side of the road after a fatality get to me.

ReputationRep:
    I'll tell you what freaks me out. When I'm walking my dog and some **** and his mates in a Pergeot 106 comes screaming round the corner, lock the front tyres and almost skids into me (cue me swearing at him and trying to kick his car). Then on a different road a couple of minutes later, the same guy zooms past at at least 60mph (it's a 30 zone). All within 5 minutes. Still, I know where the guy lives, so I may pay him a friendly visit in the morning....

ReputationRep:
    I intensly dislike the wildlife that decides to commit hari cari infront of my car. It used to scare the crap out of me when things bound out into the road.... that was until i hit a pigeon and the thing exploded in a cloud of feathers.
    I thought it was funny 'till i got home and found it wedged arse first in my front grille as though it was some sort of pre-war mascot. I wouldnt have minded if the thing hadn't been partially cooked through from the heat of the radiator. Smelled alright though

ReputationRep:
    All the weird stuff seems to happen when my dads driving lol.

bad experience driving with window down at 60-70mpg and bee flew in the window and stung him lol I would have crashed but he kept his kool

ReputationRep:
    Sneezing, especially when going round a roundabout :rolleyes:

Car transporters - once saw one hit a bridge :doh:

Lots of spray from lorries on motorway :argh:

black *******ing ice that made me write-off my very first car! :vmad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan)
    Dozy drivers - usually women

The main problem lately though is lorries overtaking other lorries at 0.5mph quicker. It causes so many holdups.

Today I was cruising down the motorway at 100ish, I was in the inside lane, saw 3 lorries ahead, moved into the middle lane to overtake, 5 seconds later the lorry infront of me just started to pull out (didnt even indicate) I was metres away from hitting him...

He had plenty of time to see me, obviously didnt even check any of his mirrors, its always the foreign lorry drivers aswell

well -5 points (or even +12 ...) points for driving at 100 ...

another -5 for failing to anticipate ( first part of IPSGA = Information)

another -5 for not having your lights on if you must insist on driving at excessive speeds ( just your dipped headlights can have a real effect - why do you think EVs have alternating headlights as well as the rest )

you only need signal if your manuouvere will directly affect another road user - which it probably wouldn't have done if you'de been travelling at 70 or even 70+10%+2 ...

ReputationRep:
    I hate big vehicles, like buses and lorries coming towards you at speed on narrow roads :s And I detest narrow windy roads that are on a hillside! My instructor made me go to this town up in the hills twice this past week and it terrified me driving there, the roads are ridiculously windy and on your way back you're on the side where the hill is, so you go a little too far to the left and you're dead And I was having to go at speed as well, I was like, this is not a road for 50mph!

Big roundabouts scare me Even a mini-roundabout posed problems for me last week, as this ****head in a truck van type thing decided to drive straight over the mini-roundabout, overtaking me - I was going straight on and was just about to come off the roundabout, thank goodness I wasn't going a smidgeon faster or he would have come straight into the side of me, fool!

ReputationRep:
    Oo and big vehicles terrify me even as a passenger - especially when you're going past a high-sided lorry on a dual carriageway and you think they're gonna just fall on top of you And driving behind vehicles carrying things like steel poles or those ones carrying cars...I'm always so scared they're gonna come off into the windscreen! < Final Destination has a part to play in that fear!

ReputationRep:
    Busses scare the s*** outa me on corners, seeing as i had a scrape with 1 once

Kerbs also really scare me, you'd thing i was driving a truck the way i swing around corners! but then when your sat on momos you gotta watch out for them ey

ReputationRep:
    People like ZippyRN and Yoda scare me...

ReputationRep:
    Grahame scares me and he's 4000 miles away!!!

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.