Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it better to be single or to be in a relationship? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Normally I would say single because of the freedom from responsibility in that respect etc. But with the person I care for now, relationship. I'm completely whipped 🙈

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    im in a relationship. I still have the freedom to go out, stay in, hang with friends, do whatever. Being in a relationship doesnt mean all that has to to stop!

And i also get to spend time with someone who i care very much about. win win
    How yeh find a gal in rural ireland

ReputationRep:
    SINGLE
    • TSR Support Team

TSR Support Team
    THe only thing I will say there is no point being in a relationship for the sake of being in one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natalie427)
    I feel your pain!
    Something like eight months for me. Lied when they said it would be easy at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halzy1234)
    relationship= commitment
    single= freedom

which one would you all prefer?

posted from tsr mobile
    freedom

ReputationRep:
    Being in a happy relationship is way better than being single, but being single is way better than being in an unhappy relationship.

That's been my experience since breaking up with my ex of 4+ years. I miss the happy times but by the end I was so unhappy it wasn't worth it anymore and I've felt much happier since. I'd love to meet someone new, but my previous relationship was a bit all-consuming at times and I'm enjoying being able to focus on myself without having to think about how it affects my partner for now.

(Original post by Reachin4TheStars)
    It's kinda like the people in a relationship wanaa be single and the people who are single wanaa be in a relationship. 🙈
    No

ReputationRep:
    Single any day of the week son
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    These days (as long as 'third-wave' feminism influences the legal system), it's best to remain single if you're a man - with the odd short-term relationship here and there. Don't even bother with marriage either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Changing Skies)
    I can also go clubbing, have fun, and I'm very much so enjoying my life my relationship is no effort at all, and certainly not a waste of my life not all relationships are extremely hard work!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree....Luckily you have found the correct person. Some girls will not even let you speak to another girl if you are in a relationship with them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trustmeimlying1)
    How yeh find a gal in rural ireland
    well there are still women about here

But she is one of my best friends and I've known her for four years
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    It's down to personal preference I guess, i m at my happiest I ve ever been with my fiance and we haven't stopped each other doing anything we want to.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    These days (as long as 'third-wave' feminism influences the legal system), it's best to remain single if you're a man - with the odd short-term relationship here and there. Don't even bother with marriage either.
    Quite the pessimist I see

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    well there are still women about here

But she is one of my best friends and I've known her for four years
    Delighted for yeh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritSharD)
    Something like eight months for me. Lied when they said it would be easy at uni.
    Eight is nothing!

ReputationRep:
    Freedom and commitment are not mutually exclusive to being single or not.

Freedom to do as you wish happens in whichever relationship state and sometimes we can hold ourselves back from doing something we want to do. In that instance, having a partner creates more freedom by encouraging you out of your comfort zone and boosting confidence.

Commitment.. In what sense? If you mean monogamy, well not all relationships are closed down to one person dating one other person. If you mean commitment in the sense of being responsible for another and accountable to another, you should have those qualities in your life anyway. Even if they only apply to looking after yourself to the best of your ability.

I really don't see any preference of one over the other. But if you're in a place of being purposefully single out of fear or staying in a relationship because you don't want to be alone..you have some self work to do

ReputationRep:
    Relationship.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Went to a family get together at the weekend and out of 50 odd people there I was the only adult who wasn't there as part of a couple. It's so lonely and depressing knowing you'll never meet anyone

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's only better to be in a relationship if you're absolutely ~crazy~ about the person imo.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 18, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.