Is it possible for me to stop paying into the NHS? watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by inhuman)
    Lol'd. I live in Switzerland.
    Lol. Switzerland is not a bad country to be living in. :ninja:

Yes, you have a point, but universal healthcare is for unexpected things that you have little influence over. Like getting cancer. Like maybe one day waking up and finding out you have disease x. Being fat, smoking a ton, drinking a ton - you can not do all of those things.
    I completely understand your point. It is part of the deal. I think that there should be more regulation to root out abuse to the system, but at the moment, it is what it is. It does not mean, however, that the system should collapse because people want to pay for the care that they receive.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Pra99)
    I think the NHS should be replaced. At the time of its creation, it was a great idea. But now with the ageing population, free healthcare will never work and it has, and it will, continue to drain the governments budgets.
    I disagree. I think that this is the best time to have the NHS and a universal free healthcare. With an ageing population, the public must be guaranteed an excellent health provision.

It will be sad that Mr. X could not get a hip replacement because he could not afford it on his insurance, but Mrs. Z could get another liposuction because her wealthy family has enough in their insurance pot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sationti)
    I have no wish to be treated in an NHS hospital, but am forced to pay for it. I now hold BUPA insurance, and wouldn't dream of asking the British people to pay for my care.

If I were to be diagnosed with cancer, I would far rather do so in New York than Britain; our cancer survival rates are appalling!

I know that British people will be like 'but my dad couldn't afford his operation without the NHS' - quite frankly I couldn't ****ing care less!

Is there a way that I can stop the British public stealing my money to pay for their healthcare?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But my dad couldnt afford his transgender surgery last month without you paying for it

Love you Dadmom x

ReputationRep:
    I have no wish to be treated in an NHS hospital, but am forced to pay for it. I now hold BUPA insurance, and wouldn't dream of asking the British people to pay for my care.

If I were to be diagnosed with cancer, I would far rather do so in New York than Britain; our cancer survival rates are appalling!

I know that British people will be like 'but my dad couldn't afford his operation without the NHS' - quite frankly I couldn't ****ing care less!

Is there a way that I can stop the British public stealing my money to pay for their healthcare?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We have bad cancer survival rates because british people don't go to their doctors, not because the quality of NHS care is poor. Educate yourself.

You could not afford cancer treatment in New York, and the reason your BUPA insurance is vaguely affordable is they have to keep their prices competative with a nationwide service that is free at point of use. Oh and all those vaccines and stuff you had as a kid were made using NHS funding.

ReputationRep:
    Can the taxpayers who funded your education get their money back for you posting such a stupid question?

ReputationRep:
    I've used the nhs due to health problems. The doctors and nurses are top notch but they are getting screwed due to wastage and lack of money. The nhs could be funded a bit better. For example, fines if a patient misses 2 appointments in a row.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    Lol. Switzerland is not a bad country to be living in. :ninja:

I completely understand your point. It is part of the deal. I think that there should be more regulation to root out abuse to the system, but at the moment, it is what it is. It does not mean, however, that the system should collapse because people want to pay for the care that they receive.
    No I completely agree. I think things like healthcare and education (including higher) should be something a rich country wants to and can provide. However, yes as you say, one must be careful with abusing the system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    I disagree. I think that this is the best time to have the NHS and a universal free healthcare. With an ageing population, the public must be guaranteed an excellent health provision.

It will be sad that Mr. X could not get a hip replacement because he could not afford it on his insurance, but Mrs. Z could get another liposuction because her wealthy family has enough in their insurance pot.
    It is not feasible for the government to give out free healthcare at a time when healthcare is at such a high demand(ageing population). Obviously it is ideal to have free healthcare at the time we most need it, but it is impossible to maintain this without going over budget. More demand for healthcare=more resources=more money gone. There needs to be a new system as the NHS is disintegrating by the month.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I do see OP's point.

Tax for NHS is rather high (so they are for other countries with universal health care).

I do think healthcare should be a universal right, and paid out of the taxpayers pocket in a rich country. But one can't deny there is a lot of waste. There are a lot of people abusing the system (I don't see why others should have to pay for certain things that people bring upon themselves such as liver disease when drinking, etc.) and the income tax is already high in the UK and then the NHS tax is a LOT on top of that.

It's just too much.
    The UK spends close to the lowest amount on healthcare (as proportion of GDP) anywhere in Europe. Substantially less than our close neighbours e.g. France, Germany. It is also less than the US taxpayer spends on healthcare, even if you put all their private fees aside.

Our healthcare needs to cost more, not less.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Pra99)
    It is not feasible for the government to give out free healthcare at a time when healthcare is at such a high demand(ageing population). Obviously it is ideal to have free healthcare at the time we most need it, but it is impossible to maintain this without going over budget. More demand for healthcare=more resources=more money gone. There needs to be a new system as the NHS is disintegrating by the month.
    What do you suggest? The far more expensive privatisation option?

ReputationRep:
    You don't pay for NHS, unless you send a bank transfer to NHS trust every month, in which case feel free to stop whenever you want. You pay the government for living in UK, and government decides how it wants to use its money - could always try getting government which doesn't want to use its money to fund NHS but I don't think there are any parties advocating that yet, so might have to set one up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    The UK spends close to the lowest amount on healthcare (as proportion of GDP) anywhere in Europe. Substantially less than our close neighbours e.g. France, Germany. It is also less than the US taxpayer spends on healthcare, even if you put all their private fees aside.

Our healthcare needs to cost more, not less.
    The only reason that is, is because elsewhere doctors get money for doing stuff. Whatever stuff. So they make procedures and the insurance has to pay. That is not the case with NHS doctors.

However, that does not mean that the system is perfect. E.g. there is far too much admin in the NHS.

ReputationRep:
    Oh **** off. Go back to your council estate and rely on mugs like me for your healthcare.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you don't think the healthcare system is good and think that the US can accommodate you better, maybe it's worth considering going there.*

Oh and I work and pay my way and I'm quite glad some of my taxes are going towards the NHS.*
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The only reason that is, is because elsewhere doctors get money for doing stuff. Whatever stuff. So they make procedures and the insurance has to pay. That is not the case with NHS doctors.
    Agreed. A major advantage of the NHS.

However, that does not mean that the system is perfect. E.g. there is far too much admin in the NHS.
    Also agreed. Although thankfully its not as bad as an insurance-based system, where every single treatment, appointment and medication has to be scrutinised by hordes of admin staff based at the insurance company. The US spends way more on admin, for instance. http://www.commonwealthfund.org/publ...strative-costs
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Pra99)
    The major problem with the NHS is not the ageing population, but the lack of adequate funding and control.

The NHS is currently viewed as a cash cow, where certain private enterprises are trying to take a piece of the action. At the same time, there is lack of proper controls across the service, where medical activities are being conducted way above board.

For example, I only just recently found out that a pack of paracetamol provided on the NHS costs almost 4 times the same product in a pharmacy or a retail store. Why is that so? This is the same with many medication and drugs that would be cheaper when purchased outside the NHS, but there seems to be a shady business, where someone or some people are making money off the system.

My opinion is that there is to be an honest and critical review of the NHS. Sufficient funding should be provided and more controls should be enacted, where it becomes a crime to make money off the NHS and all hospitals become not for profit.

I also think that there should be a new Health Service Act that guarantees a particular percentage of the UK budget to be reserved for the NHS (probably 5%), just like defence and international aid. This figure contracts or increases based on the health of the economy because it is a percentage.

There should also be a proper ring fence of the NHS, where it does not become a political tool used by politicians. Any change to the NHS should require a referendum from the people.

Finally, if the UK Government can properly tax all those tax dodgers, who are keeping their money overseas, then there will be enough money for the NHS and other public services.

ReputationRep:
    You never know what might happen to your finances in the future. What if you couldn't afford private health insurance anymore?

ReputationRep:
    I do see OP's point.

Tax for NHS is rather high (so they are for other countries with universal health care).

I do think healthcare should be a universal right, and paid out of the taxpayers pocket in a rich country. But one can't deny there is a lot of waste. There are a lot of people abusing the system (I don't see why others should have to pay for certain things that people bring upon themselves such as liver disease when drinking, etc.) and the income tax is already high in the UK and then the NHS tax is a LOT on top of that.

It's just too much.
    Thats silly, most accidents and things that happen are a result of our own choices - I don't drive so why should I pay for people involved in car accidents? They chose to get in that car. People go rock climbing and have accidents, should I pay for that? People go swimming and end up nearly drowning, should we pay that? They chose to go swimming. Horse riders? People who attempt suicide? Where do you draw the line? People ***** about smokers getting NHS treatment but they pay the most tax so they have more of a right than anybody to use the NHS. People pay tax on alcohol. You could probably argue against people who have accidents related to drugs because heroin/coke is not taxed but they may have a job which means paying into the system. The NHS is great because it treats everybody EQUALLY.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Just go to San Francisco. America doesn't need trump to do that. Tbo honest a bit of fascism would probably see the poor materially better off lol (well the ones that don't get kicked out/exterminated for being the wrong colour).
    :lolwut: hmm...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tw1x)
    Thats silly, most accidents and things that happen are a result of our own choices - I don't drive so why should I pay for people involved in car accidents? They chose to get in that car. People go rock climbing and have accidents, should I pay for that? People go swimming and end up nearly drowning, should we pay that? They chose to go swimming. Horse riders? People who attempt suicide? Where do you draw the line? People ***** about smokers getting NHS treatment but they pay the most tax so they have more of a right than anybody to use the NHS. People pay tax on alcohol. You could probably argue against people who have accidents related to drugs because heroin/coke is not taxed but they may have a job which means paying into the system. The NHS is great because it treats everybody EQUALLY.
    No, that is why it's awful.

I see your point, but I don't fully disagree with it. And yes you are right, over here, if you have a dangerous job, or a dangerous hobby, your premium goes up...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    No you get a grip. I simply don't want to pay for your healthcare. There's nothing wrong with that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't want to pay for any public services that you use (and I can guarantee that you do, even if you don't know it) but you don't see me griping about it. Taxation is a societal and moral obligation and you get a chance to have a say on how it's spent when you vote.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 14, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.