Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spencer11111)
    Good restaurant would never give you that much wasabi; normally they would only give you a little.
    Well I've been to a crapload of good Japenese places in Soho. And they do.

Maybe it's my delicate tongue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Warrior King)
    Try Asian sub-continent.

But seeing as I was born and raised here, I'd call myself British first before my ethnicity.

Apparently it's considered bad manners to request more wasabi in Japan as it's considered an insult to the chef who gives you enough wasabi as is required (in his/her opinion). But I just can't get enough of the stuff. The way it blows your head off.
    I thought there are only two main types of Asians -- South Asians and East Asians? Or are you going into the specifics or South-East Asians and North East Asians?

Yup, absolutely. Hence "real" good Japanese restaurant would never give you that much wasabi. They would only provide a little for you, basically to cleanse the parasite...

ReputationRep:
    I really hope you mean palate. Cos "cleanse the parasite" sounds like something out of alien.

ReputationRep:
    I love the stuff from Marks and Spencer's, especially the tuna California rolls, yum yum yum But the real stuff, no way It's raw fish, dude!

ReputationRep:
    I've only had sushi twice and it doesn't seem to agree with my stomach. I do like it though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc101)
    I love the stuff from Marks and Spencer's, especially the tuna California rolls, yum yum yum But the real stuff, no way It's raw fish, dude!

Hmm, I'm the opposite, the California rolls are somewhat boring but the raw fishy stuff is fabulous :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I love sushi. I was introduced to it at uni and I've never looked back.

ReputationRep:
    Methinks i should try some :

ReputationRep:
    sushi is my all time favourite food EVER. it's the same in nz as segat was saying it is in aus - there are as many sushi places as there are fast-food places, and it's just as cheap (and way healthier, tastier and fresher!) to pick up a box of sushi as it is to buy a burger.

god i love the stuff. I've had cheap sushi and the superexpensive, amazing quality stuff and i love it all.

i quite like sashimi as well, but i find it to be really rich and i can't eat a lot of it. Whereas i could happily eat a family-sized box of sushi :p:

ReputationRep:
    I lovvee sushi, but it's too expensive near where I live but when I'm i hols in Asia...I go crazy..it's just soo cheap - I could eat it everyday....
    It's healthy, nutritous and tastes great and it get soo many varitieies to choose....hmm....craving calfornia rolls right now..

vegetable sushi ftw

ReputationRep:
    has anyone tried wasabi peas? not on the topic of sushi reallly but theres a pub in leeds that sells them in glasses, theyre soooo spicy and yummy! theyre just dried peas coated in a wasabi powder thingy. love them!

love sushi too, but havent had anything other than m and s stuff. theres a restaurant in leeds ive wanted to go to for ages called little tokyo that does it so might go soon.

ReputationRep:
    I like vegetable sushi.
    But I don't eat it very often.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hanhan88)
    has anyone tried wasabi peas? not on the topic of sushi reallly but theres a pub in leeds that sells them in glasses, theyre soooo spicy and yummy! theyre just dried peas coated in a wasabi powder thingy. love them!

love sushi too, but havent had anything other than m and s stuff. theres a restaurant in leeds ive wanted to go to for ages called little tokyo that does it so might go soon.
    I *love* wasabi peas!! In fact, I'm craving them right now since you've said that! They're so yummy though, but I don't know where you can buy them in England (when I was in Holland you could buy them from the local cheese shop)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimoso)
    I *love* wasabi peas!! In fact, I'm craving them right now since you've said that! They're so yummy though, but I don't know where you can buy them in England (when I was in Holland you could buy them from the local cheese shop)

I have no idea where you can get them other than at this pub! All my friends hate them and think im crazy eating them but theyre so great. Have to have plenty to drink witht hem though!

ReputationRep:
    This thread really makes me want to try sushi.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bunthulhu)
    This thread really makes me want to try sushi.
    You should!! The first time I had it I thought it was nice... but not much. Then the next day I was just craving it, and I've had at least 3 sushis a week ever since! (about 2 years lol). It's just heavenly.

Btw, imo Tesco is the best supermarket who does it, but ofc it's better at restuarants etc.

ReputationRep:
    every1 where i work goes on about how its crap but i love regular and veggie sushi - it really doesnt smell that bad! hmmm yummy....

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone I'm back from my travels in Japan and I msut say, you haven't tried sushi until you've eaten some in Japan.

The fish was super fresh and the taste was jsut so much different to what we get here in the UK, I have no idea why but it just was. I went to about 6 or 7 different sushi places the best ones being 'Fukozushi' in Roppongi Hills in Tokyo and 'Daiwa Sushi' in the Tsukiji Fish Market where I took a sushi breakfast right after viewing the tuna auction. A sushi breakfast inside Tsukiji, it doesn't get any fresher than that.

But Tokyo wasn't just about the sushi, it was also about the Fugu, the Tempura, the Kaiseki, the Udon, the Yakitori, even the Nepalese, Indian food, heck even Pizza Express tasted good out there. Didn't like the Teppanyaki so much though.

All in all Tokyo was as much about the food as it was about the women, the bars, the clubs, the neon lights, tall sky scrapers and the old shrines and I had a fantastic time and I really can't wait to go back again next summer.

Ok anyone want to go to Yo Sushi? hehehe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimoso)
    Btw, imo Tesco is the best supermarket who does it, but ofc it's better at restuarants etc.
    I'm surprised at that, I got a small pack of sushi from Tesco once, it was so bad I could not even swallow it. Oh, and I love sushi. M&S little snack packs are much tastier.

Also, could anyone recommend any good sushi places in London that would not completely blow a student's budget away? (other than YoSushi...)

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.