Biology A
    Chemistry A
    Physics A
    English Language B
    English Literature B
    History B
    Spanish B
    ICT C
    So 2A*s 3As 4Bs and C, I went to a very very poor school where over 30 kids didn't get ANY GCSEs so hopefully this gives me a boost. I will be doing Maths, Bio and Chem next year do I realistically have a chance?

ReputationRep:
    please do not say gcses are not important for medicine because they are. I got 6A*s and 3As. How does this compare with the average applicant?

ReputationRep:
    did i do well enough to get into the following kings and leeds
    6A*s 3As

ReputationRep:
    Just got my GCSEs back and got:
    Geography A*
    ICT B
    Core Science A
    Additional Science A
    Further Additional Science A*
    Engineering B
    English Lang A
    English Lit A*
    History B
    Maths A
    French D
    Overall it works out at 3A* 4As and 3Bs and also that D in French. I know that most look at around top 8 which is why I was hoping for 8A*-A but I only got 7 with less A* than I wanted. Are the Bs going to block me from being competitive and is the D in French going to be a black mark against my name?
    What I really want to know is that with A levels in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and English Lit which would obviously have to be AAA(plus at least a b in an AS) as well as a good personal statement and UKCAT could I get an interview at any medical schools and which ones would be the best to apply for in the future?

ReputationRep:
    1A* - English Literature
    6A - Mathematics, Philosophy, Art, French, Business and ICT.
    7B - English Language, Triple Science, Geography, PE and Spanish.

ReputationRep:
    Maths: A*
    Bio: A*
    Chem: A*
    Physics: A
    English Lang: A*
    Eng Lit: B
    RS: A
    Art: C
    Spanish: B
    History: A

I'm gonna get history and physics remarked cuz they r both painfully close to A*s
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAnon0301)
    Maths: A*
    Bio: A*
    Chem: A*
    Physics: A
    English Lang: A*
    Eng Lit: B
    RS: A
    Art: C
    Spanish: B
    History: A

I'm gonna get history and physics remarked cuz they r both painfully close to A*s
    Yes, well done, these grades would be fine.*

Focus on A Levels, work experience, volunteering and anything that shows passion for the course from this point onwards as these are far more important to your application.*

ReputationRep:
    For some of the GCSE heavy unis you might be at a small disadvantage, but for 80% of them they are absolutely great Well done on your results!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarrisonGCSE)
    For some of the GCSE heavy unis you might be at a small disadvantage, but for 80% of them they are absolutely great Well done on your results!
    Thanks for the honesty, I guess it's all about applying to my strengths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte49)

Focus on A Levels, work experience, volunteering and anything that shows passion for the course from this point onwards as these are far more important to your application.*
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte49)

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamierogers21)
    My GCSE results were;
    Maths A*
    RS A*
    Biology A
    Chemistry A
    Physics A
    English Language B
    English Literature B
    History B
    Spanish B
    ICT C
    So 2A*s 3As 4Bs and C, I went to a very very poor school where over 30 kids didn't get ANY GCSEs so hopefully this gives me a boost. I will be doing Maths, Bio and Chem next year do I realistically have a chance?
    Well done fantastic results! Really do focus on your A-Levels they are a lot more challenging and as they will be linear you will also need to prove to your teachers why you should have a decent set of predicted grades by the end of the year. Also, get some work experience done (Hospital, GP anything healthcare related may also be helpful), aim to have some extra-curricular activities ideally that show good team leadership and working together (perhaps a school sport?) and start to volunteer at a care home. Most candidates have this sort of stuff so try to go the extra mile, if you can/want to, to help boost your application maybe being part of a youth council, reading a book or two related about medicine or staying up to date with latest medical news (i.e. from The Lancet or BMJ etc.). Apologies if I am bombarding you with this information but if someone had told me all of this at the beginning of Sixth Form it would have been a lot easier for me to understand the essentials of what I needed to do, oh and don't leave this all last minute. Once again congrats on a great set of results and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maz A)
    Well done fantastic results! Really do focus on your A-Levels they are a lot more challenging and as they will be linear you will also need to prove to your teachers why you should have a decent set of predicted grades by the end of the year. Also, get some work experience done (Hospital, GP anything healthcare related may also be helpful), aim to have some extra-curricular activities ideally that show good team leadership and working together (perhaps a school sport?) and start to volunteer at a care home. Most candidates have this sort of stuff so try to go the extra mile, if you can/want to, to help boost your application maybe being part of a youth council, reading a book or two related about medicine or staying up to date with latest medical news (i.e. from The Lancet or BMJ etc.). Apologies if I am bombarding you with this information but if someone had told me all of this at the beginning of Sixth Form it would have been a lot easier for me to understand the essentials of what I needed to do, oh and don't leave this all last minute. Once again congrats on a great set of results and good luck!
    Thankyou so much for taking the time to write this. I shall try and do as much of this as possible.I have done 200+ hours of volunteering for sports with young children. Should I try and continue with this now I have left school or should I try and find places such as hospitals, care homes etc.?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Post here for your GCSE grades advice.
    Hi I got 5a 6b I know it's low for med school but if I make up for it in other aspects do u think I will have a chance

ReputationRep:
    I got 5a 6b if I do well in other aspects will I have a chance in med school
    My b were in 3 sciences history French and statistic
    A were in maths English lit and Lang computing re
    Which unis should I apply to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamierogers21)
    Thankyou so much for taking the time to write this. I shall try and do as much of this as possible.I have done 200+ hours of volunteering for sports with young children. Should I try and continue with this now I have left school or should I try and find places such as hospitals, care homes etc.?
    No worries. Essentially the volunteering part you will put in your Personal Statement (i.e. you won't write I have volunteered for over 200 hours+ but something similar to I have been volunteering at x for over a year... and this has taught me...). The children volunteering part to this is great shows good leadership and communication skills (you need to say what you learnt from this not just you do it), in terms of extra volunteering definitely try to find a place at a care home. You should also look for work experience placements at Hospitals most Hospitals start accepting applications from around September so try applying within this year (one that I tried to apply to had their application deadline in December) places fill fast. Also, GP work experience placement can be difficult to find, if you do have friend/family friends who work at Hospitals/GPs this will help, if you ask them how to get work experience at their organisations.

ReputationRep:
    Are 4 A*'s , 3 A's and 3 B's good enough to get into medcine or dentistry? Somebody please answer

ReputationRep:
    My GCSE results were:
    English literature A*
    English Language A*
    Mathematics A*
    Additional science A*
    Core science A*
    Geography A
    RE A
    Business study distinction
    French A
    ICT Merit
    Over all 5A* 4A 1B I already know that I have no chance to get into a top uni but where would be the best uni to go with these grades. Also I don't go to a private or grammar school just a normal school lol. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    The average academic profile for a medical applicant is 5-6A* with an AAA prediction at A2.

If you have 5-6A* but with perhaps a C/B in 1/2 irrelevant subjects, don't worry, as medical schools select your best 7/8/9 GCSEs.

If you meet/exceed this profile, stop being anxious.

ReputationRep:
    Jamie - if you didn't have parents that went to uni or come from a poor school there are schemes that allow you to bypass some of the grades. For example Sheffield run a scheme where if you were eligible you are guaranteed an interview. Would be worth looking at your nearest unis to see.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.