Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    They said a "diversity champion" should be appointed to hold forces to account.
    What sort of world do we live in, they're running out of useless ways to spend public money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Electrospective)
    Here's a crazy thought.

Maybe just maybe, not many BME peeps are applying.

And a crazy question to follow up on that crazy statement.

Why does skin colour matter in policing?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Shouldn't they be hiring the best applicants. Frankly, discrimination is discrimination. You should be chosen on merit not race.
    What is BME?

anyway for jobs related to community service its good to have a bit of diversity. Helps to increase understanding of police for different communities and reduce conflict.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)
    What is BME?

anyway for jobs related to community service its good to have a bit of diversity. Helps to increase understanding of police for different communities and reduce conflict.
    Black and minority ethnic

Diversity isn't bad in itself, but when you have to discriminate in order to achieve it then I don't agree.

Black and minority ethnic
    Black and other minority ethnics. Why are blacks given special consideration?

Diversity isn't bad in itself, but when you have to discriminate in order to achieve it then I don't agree.
    Diversity is our strength. Diversity is good. Homogeneity is a sin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redleader1)
    Evidence ?
    The Macpherson report.

Timeline: Race and the Met

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Black and other minority ethnics. Why are blacks given special consideration?
    Why you asking me for? There's more asians than blacks in the UK, or no?

Diversity is our strength. Diversity is good. Homogeneity is a sin.
    Okay m8.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Why do I sense sarcasm?

ReputationRep:
    How many apply though? Do we have any stats on that?

Why you asking me for? There's more asians than blacks in the UK, or no?

Okay m8.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Why do I sense sarcasm?
    Its a rhetorical question. Me? Sarcastic? What a preposterous - nay, slanderous! - accusation thou level at me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Its a rhetorical question. Me? Sarcastic? What a preposterous - nay, slanderous! - accusation thou level at me!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm so sorry for that - I can only hope that you haven't been triggered to the point of no return.

ReputationRep:
    With morons like Black Lives Matter calling black officers "traitors" and whatever other garbage they spew, I can't blame BMEs for being reluctant to sign up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad)
    The Macpherson report.

Timeline: Race and the Met
    The problem with these reports is that no one ever reads them.

What he concluded is that there was no evidence of racism, but that since it was "obviously" present despite and regardless of any evidence or lack of evidence, it must be diffuse and hidden, which he called "institutional racism".

"Institutional racism" is racism for which there is no evidence.

"Institutional racism" is a conspiracy theory.

ReputationRep:
    Who ****ing cares lol?

I'm White and when I was a kid I told my mama I wanted to join the police and she went ballistic, it's not a job for respectable people, it's a job for goons and wannabe fascists with no GCSE's.

ReputationRep:
    I have read the Macpherson report. Before reading it I believed there was a reasonable case against the police. Reading the Macpherson report, which is intended to crucify the police, showed that the case against the police was ******** on stilts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    "Institutional racism" is a conspiracy theory.
    Regardless, this is why fewer poc seek to join the police, which was the original question I responded to.

ReputationRep:
    Regardless, this is why fewer poc seek to join the police, which was the original question I responded to.
    I think you are wrong and outlined my own reasons.

People who believe the police are biased against them tend to do things like support Mark Duggan.

But Mark Duggan was a violent, gun-toting criminal, regardless of whether he was shot by police lawfully or justifiably or not. People who side with an armed criminal over the police because he threw his gun away slightly before he was shot are opposed to the law in principle, not specific mechanisms and organisations for enforcing it.

ReputationRep:
    I think you are wrong and outlined my own reasons.
    People see the police as racist and won't join because of that. I am not wrong in this. Your opinion has no bearing on facts.

ReputationRep:
    People see the police as racist and won't join because of that. I am not wrong in this. Your opinion has no bearing on facts.
    Yes, either that or they simply aren't up to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caravaggio2)
    Yes, either that or they simply aren't up to it.
    Undoubtedly a factor.

Although, to clarify, 'they' being **** candidates, not poc, bem or whateverthe****.

ReputationRep:
    I see plenty of Asian or Middle Eastern-looking people working in airport security. I don't believe that people see the police as more racist than airport security.

I think this is a rationalisation for many black communities simply seeing themselves as being on the other side of the law and order issue. Blacks are 2.7% of our population but 14% of our prison population. At some point crime becomes so prevalent that people view it as an ordinary part of life and strong repression of it as oppression of the whole community.

Hence people protest in honour of the memory of Mark Duggan, rather than being ashamed to be associated with him.

ReputationRep:
    x
    Non sequitur followed by conjecture.

Airport security has nothing to do with my point.
    Mark Duggan has nothing to do with my point.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Commander Cressida ****, then head of Scotland Yard's diversity directorate, stated that the force is unlikely ever to be free of institutional racism.

The Morris inquiry showed that black and Asian officers are twice as likely to be investigated or receive formal written warnings as white officers.

The Commission for Racial Equality finds police forces "frozen solid at the core" in attempts to handle internal race issues.

(6th October 2008) The London mayor, Boris Johnson, proposes an inquiry into racial discrimination in the Metropolitan police. On the same day, members of the Metropolitan BPA begin a recruitment boycott of their force, urging ethnic minority applicants not to join it because it is racist.

...so potential applicants see these things as problems and don't bother applying. I'm not sure how else I can explain it to you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.