Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Ano9901whichone)
    It wasn't supposed to be a particularly hard question I don't think.
    For some reason my browser won't let me quote your earlier post, but I can confirm that the answer you posted is correct for one of the inflection points.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Uni12345678)
    I did AQA GCSE further maths last year. In my opinion this could very well come up since 2nd derivatives are on the syllabus, and i think it wouldnt be the hardest on the paper but it would be harder than most i think
    This question could not come up in AQA FM. In FM you only need to be able to find and clasify stationary points including stationary points of inflection.

This question is asking you to find points of inflection that are not stationary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uni12345678)
    I did AQA GCSE further maths last year. In my opinion this could very well come up since 2nd derivatives are on the syllabus, and i think it wouldnt be the hardest on the paper but it would be harder than most i think
    Can you please tell me where I said second derivatives aren't on the spec? Let me answer that one for you- I didn't. If you could read the other posts you'd know that it was the equation that was the problem, and that I suggested using the second differential to help the OP. You would NOT ever get such a hard equation to solve at this level of maths. Please don't tell me what is and is not on the spec, I have done this course and much more advanced mathematics courses than you've sat yet so don't patronise me please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L33t)
    Can you please tell me where I said second derivatives aren't on the spec? Let me answer that one for you- I didn't. If you could read the other posts you'd know that it was the equation that was the problem, and that I suggested using the second differential to help the OP. You would NOT ever get such a hard equation to solve at this level of maths. Please don't tell me what is and is not on the spec, I have done this course and much more advanced mathematics courses than you've sat yet so don't patronise me please.
    I now realise that all you need to solve this question is to solve a quadratic equation.
    What level of mathematics are you at then?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by notnek)
    This question could not come up in AQA FM. In FM you only need to be able to find and clasify stationary points including stationary points of inflection.
    Ironically, finding the points of inflection for this function is a lot easier than finding the stationary points (solving a cubic)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.