Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's the most funny/ignorant thing someone has said about your ethnicity? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    :lolwut:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm going to look like an ass if it turns out they don't speak Arabic in Egypt after all.

I've been interested in learning Coptic for a while.
    Haha, the whole point is that others looked stupid when they said "you don't speak Egyptian, you speak Arabic"

Egyptian is just another one of the many dialects of Arabic... But for some reason a lot of people seem to think they still speak in hieroglyphics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zziwa)
    "You don't really sound/act black at all..."

You get this from friends and family members, most times just as a passing comment but occasionally it's said to me as though it's a bad thing to speak formally.

Also had one person tell me that my university course (yes, my course) is a "white" course. Whatever the hell that's supposed to mean.
    Oh dear. Yeah I get quite a lot of stick for my accent too. I'm from a city in Yorkshire but I have quite a neutral accent - others have called me "coconut" and "posh". I once got into trouble for not knowing what a TEP is, which doesn't even make sense considering I'm not even Pakistani! Apparently not being white means I have to be fluent in all things asian

ReputationRep:
    "Check your white privilege"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    PhD student taking my undergrad seminar: So should I presume you're Indian, then?
    Me: I don't think you should presume anything about me! :mad:

There was also the time I got stopped at Barbican tube station. For carrying a violin case. Coz clearly they've never seen anyone carry a violin case through that station before :rolleyes:

The most infuriating thing about that time was that the guy just made the accusation but didn't bother to carry out proper stop-and-search checks. If they genuinely thought it was a bomb, surely they should have checked it? :dontknow:

:bhangra:
    That's so sad! Don't think I've ever heard of a violin-shaped bomb before :lol:
    If it makes you feel any better, I got stopped entering a Pride event and had my backpack checked. Although I'm not sure if that was standard protocol or just a random search
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Bezoar)
    That's so sad! Don't think I've ever heard of a violin-shaped bomb before :lol:
    If it makes you feel any better, I got stopped entering a Pride event and had my backpack checked. Although I'm not sure if that was standard protocol or just a random search
    After 7/7 I was getting lots of furtive, scared glances on the Tube when carrying my violin case. But this was a good year after 7/7 that this happened at Barbican tube station :mad:

I'm always getting "randomly" stopped and searched at airports and shiz too! :console: :sadnod: :five:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewSCO)
    Not ethnicity but nationality. Had English friends genuinely ask me if we have busses in Scotland and that someone else thought Scotland was a city in England, yes an actual English uni student...
    Once had a group of college students from England ask 'if Scottish people had to go to England if we wanted a night out' and if I lived in a castle, in complete seriousness.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Copperknickers)
    Once had a group of college students from England ask 'if Scottish people had to go to England if we wanted a night out' and if I lived in a castle, in complete seriousness.
    **** sake :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezoar)
    lol a close friend of mine who is of the same ethnicity as me has paler skin and people don't believe us when we say we're from teh same place. I've had people say "YOU look like you're from there but she definitely doesnt cos her skin is too pale" and I'm like "m8 are you telling me that you know more about the people of my own country than me?"
    That happens to me all the time! It's so frustrating. Only me and another guy in my school are Arabs and because he's darker than me nobody ever believes that we are both Arabs. Where are you from btw?

ReputationRep:
    "Ginger isn't a race."

(Original post by PHD2027)
    "your a terrorist"
    How did you know they were illiterate?

ReputationRep:
    'So do you have kids?'
    No.
    'Oh.....don't you like....have to be married by...a certain age?'
    Um no
    'Really? Though I suppose times are changing now though aren't they. How old are you?'
    'Really?! You do NOT look it'
    Do I really look that old?
    'No, no, you look WAYYY younger!'

I'm a pakistani girl to put things into perspective. I've also lost count over the number of time i've been asked whether i'll have an 'arranged marriage' implying i'll be forced to marry someone. Or people acting like i'm forced to do everything, from the way i dress and follow my religion to how I act. Funnily enough my parents act the opposite to how I do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sara_t)
    'So do you have kids?'
    No.
    'Oh.....don't you like....have to be married by...a certain age?'
    Um no
    'Really? Though I suppose times are changing now though aren't they. How old are you?'
    'Really?! You do NOT look it'
    Do I really look that old?
    'No, no, you look WAYYY younger!'

I'm a pakistani girl to put things into perspective. I've also lost count over the number of time i've been asked whether i'll have an 'arranged marriage' implying i'll be forced to marry someone. Or people acting like i'm forced to do everything, from the way i dress and follow my religion to how I act. Funnily enough my parents act the opposite to how I do.

My sister got married a while ago and I also got faced with the dreaded questions "So your sister.... And her husband.... How did they meet?" "In uni" "Oh I see... Did they know each other before they married?" "No, they didn't have an arranged marriage, if that's what you're trying to ask"

ReputationRep:
    I've been told that because I'm white I'm automatically a racist. I don't mind though, some people are just born stupid. I've also seen Swedes start talking to my mum in Swedish because she's really pale and has bright blonde hair.

ReputationRep:
    "Is your dad a banker?" "Do you rule the world?" "Are you circumcised?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saba XD)
    I'm South Asian and people think I'm too "white" to be south Asian.
    Kashmiri?

ReputationRep:
    Apart from people who assume every Black person is a ghetto thug, most of this is fun banter.

ReputationRep:
    I'm blonde with blue eyes. Whenever someone finds out I'm Bulgarian, they hardly believe me

"I thought bulgarians are dark"
    "Don't bulgarians look like turkish people"
    "No way, all bulgarians are gypsies" (Fu*k you)

Also

"Your english is too posh to be bulgarian"

I've lived here nearly 15 years....Maybe thats why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    I'll keep my answers nonspecific and make it appear that the questions are actually legible and can be understood, usually the questions go like this:

So where are you from? I was born and raised in Wales.

Yeah but I mean where are you from? Umm... *repeat initial response*.

So where're your parents from then? They were also born and raised in Wales.

Well what about your grandparents? *getting annoyed* My great grandmother and grandparents are/were also from Wales (ugh, would you like to see my birth certificate and a ****ing family tree?! I'm probably more British than you are you illiterate narrow-minded dumb **** whinging about immigrants but living off benefits whilst my family and I pay our taxes, work hard and have never claimed off the state).

Sometimes after all that they just get straight to the point and ask what my ethnicity is and which countries it originates from.
    Maybe you could yano, get to the point instead of enjoying making them feel ignorant and judged for simply taking an interest in you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    Maybe you could yano, get to the point instead of enjoying making them feel ignorant and judged for simply taking an interest in you
    People are so up themselves on this thread. Calling Brown people terrorists and Black people thugs is straight up insulting and the Jewish stereotypes are tiresome af, but most of this is someone taking an interest rather than insults.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewSCO)
    **** sake :laugh:
    In fairness, they weren't too far wrong, since I was with some mates from the Borders, so they actually do go across to Carlisle for nights out.

ReputationRep:
    "You're adopted, aren't you?"

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.