Turn on thread page Beta

Networking with MD in IB? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spencer11111)
    I guess you are lucky really! May be because M&A is by nature hard so no one has time or energy to bully each other.

M+A has to be teamwork oriented - that's why you have so many rugby players/athletes in M+A. They have stamina and are teamwork oriented. The only bull**** that happens is with chip on their shoulder associates who like to own analysts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spencer11111)
    re those Warwick students MORSE/Maths students or Economics grads?
    A good fill from both...Lots from econ in less quant, and several MORSE students in trading/structuring etc., although lots of overlap does exist and this is quite a huge generalisation. Many maths students here are very academic (want to go for masters/PhD) and are not considering banking at least at this stage, however some do. Lots of WBS ppl want to get in as well..

ReputationRep:
    just talk to everyone to meet.. be friendly and network with any1 who seems extra approachable and nice ..MD or Analyst..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barzini)
    A good fill from both...Lots from econ in less quant, and several MORSE students in trading/structuring etc., although lots of overlap does exist and this is quite a huge generalisation. Many maths students here are very academic (want to go for masters/PhD) and are not considering banking at least at this stage, however some do. Lots of WBS ppl want to get in as well..
    Wow! Do you know how to best get into Trading & Structuring? Is it a big area in an IB? Do they employ as many people to say, sales?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rboogie)
    1. First of all, you try working for a year on 6 hours of sleep and no weekends - then we'll talk. Since you've been working for about 20 days as an intern, you can't say much. Furthermore, I'm sure you're not nearly doing the hours of a full-time analyst. What M&A desk are you on? Please let me know if I know any of your co-workers.

And I might, if you're working M&A for 12 hours a day, you either
    a) have no deal flow and thus at a ****ty investment bank.
    b) are an intern and they don't trust you to turn on the computer.
    It may well be a combo of both.

2. Furthermore, are you sure your co-workers didn't play rugby? Did you ask them all? Call up Lehmans and find out for yourself.

3. I'm at the number one growing boutique in Europe. You realize that KKR, Silverlake, Rothschild, Greenhill, and up until a few months ago Blackstone were all boutiques? You must be the dumbest human being alive - all your noob analysts are DYING to make it into boutiques after their two years. I'm not asking for your input - people can decide who they'd like to believe. Poke holes in my arguments instead of trying to be a giant loser intern who will likely not get a full-time offer (not saying you don't have skills, but there is a low conversion in M&A)
    You working in a boutique and me being a finance noob, can you briefly describe what the difference between working at a boutique and at a BB is?

Besides, are there traders at boutiques?

Are there any banks that recruit traders with quantitative background exclusively or do you stand a good chance with economics?

Cheers,
    Chris

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by creeper)
    You working in a boutique and me being a finance noob, can you briefly describe what the difference between working at a boutique and at a BB is?

Besides, are there traders at boutiques?

Are there any banks that recruit traders with quantitative background exclusively or do you stand a good chance with economics?

Cheers,
    Chris
    A boutique is just a private investment bank or a bank that focuses on a specific area - so Greenhill, for example focuses on advisory services within M&A and is quite good at what it does. KKR is a private equity firm, and they are also a boutique.

Boutique's are no different - my boutique is full of stars from JPM and Goldmans - the advantage I have is that I'll be the only graduate with stock options - which no one gets at a listed bank. Stock options are the reason there is so goldman money around - the company floated in 1999 after essentially starting as a boutique back in the day. Morgan Stanley used to be Morgan Trust, the boutique. It's a dare to dream scenario which is why so many people leave the big banks after two years.

ReputationRep:
    A boutique is just a private investment bank or a bank that focuses on a specific area - so Greenhill, for example focuses on advisory services within M&A and is quite good at what it does. KKR is a private equity firm, and they are also a boutique.

Boutique's are no different - my boutique is full of stars from JPM and Goldmans - the advantage I have is that I'll be the only graduate with stock options - which no one gets at a listed bank. Stock options are the reason there is so goldman money around - the company floated in 1999 after essentially starting as a boutique back in the day. Morgan Stanley used to be Morgan Trust, the boutique. It's a dare to dream scenario which is why so many people leave the big banks after two years.
    Cool, I am mainly interested in foreign exchange though. Do the boutiques trade almost all instruments like the BBs or do they focus on a few? Saying that many people leave the BBs for boutiques after a few years, I assume it's next to impossible to start at a boutique, right? Do boutiques offer internships in trading by the way? I know blackstone offers internships, but I doubt they are in trading.

Cheers,
    Chris

ReputationRep:
    PortfolioManager and rboogie: If you want to discuss each other, take it to PMs. Keep this thread at least roughly on topic.

ReputationRep:
    ok i have met the lady who recruits for capital markets, i am thinking that i should email her to try to make a good impression, i am thinking to ask:
    a) what sort of extra curriculars do you like to see in applicants?
    b) XYZ (one of the interns i met came from Tokyo) is it possible to apply for a placement abroad?
    c) (she said that they did a rotational program i.e. half sales and half trading desks') how long will each be at one desk and do they generally have the same skillset?

are there any other questions that will help me when i apply? (i apply in 2 years time so i know its a long time, but hey it will be her doignit so may as well take advantage of my time in the bank right?)

ReputationRep:
    Look, most bankers are *******s - myself included - We work long hours and do work that is really easy for money - the stress is high and we get annoyed - of the 10 or so bankers in M+A I know directly or indirectly, maybe 2 are happy - the rest are losing their hair, smoke a lot more than they should, have lost all semblance of humour, and have zero personal life.

Now you tell me why any MD (you realize how long an MD has been in the game) is going to chat with a back office intern. I guarantee you the MD's at my work have no idea what the FO intern names are, let alone anyone else. They have no time for their wives, or kids, or friends or family, yet you think they'll be 'friendly' and make time for a back office intern. It's not a stereotype, it's just the nature of the game. You may get lucky with an MD who's content, but in M+A, that's highly unlikely.

Also, you're not going to be qualified enough to work in M+A anyway and considering there are seats empty at most M+A desks, they'd rather leave it empty than hire someone who is not up to snuff.

Anyway, if logic befools you, go for it.
    hi just re reading, why would you say that?

ReputationRep:
    Because hiring people who are not suitable for a job makes more work for everybody else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Shrestha)
    hi just re reading, why would you say that?
    He means its better to make the workload heavier for the people that are actually capable of doing the work than having someone there who takes up the time of other people becasue they are not up to standard

ReputationRep:
    o i though that it was a personal dig at me

ReputationRep:
    Well, to be honest, it's a bit of both.

Banks won't put people in seats if they're not qualified b/c it costs too much to hire these people so they keep it empty. You can call Goldmans and I guarantee you they have empty seats on their equities and FICC desks.

Second, based on what you're writing and the questions you're asking, it's very clear you have no idea what banking is all about and are asking questions that would be better served by telling HR. (And no, I'm not going to tell you what to ask b/c you should research the business yourself). Again, do some research on the business - otherwise you'll end up like 90% of the plebs who want banking jobs but either never convert or don't get interviews in the first place.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.