Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can I apply for an ABB course if I'm predicted BBB? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    You could always apply for the one uni that requires ABB. Theres no harm i suppose. I would only apply for the one though, as you dont want to apply too high and not get your offers.
    It may be worth contacting the uni you are interested in though to see what they say (not at the minute though, they may be swamped with calls/emails, but at a later date).
    And good luck with the remarks.
    My aspirational uni atm (Nottingham) wants ABB for English and French. My backup uni (Glasgow) wants AAB-BBB (hopefully they'll give me BBB since I come from a bad school). I'm looking at Swansea and Bournemouth too..

(Original post by _bob_)
    from queen mary, royal holloway, kings college,ucl and Hertfordshire
    That's great!

(Original post by Unknown598)
    You can apply, as I got offers that were ABB-BBB even though my predicted grades were CCC. I've now got into UEA and start this September.
    What course was it?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    My aspirational uni atm (Nottingham) wants ABB for English and French. My backup uni (Glasgow) wants AAB-BBB (hopefully they'll give me BBB since I come from a bad school). I'm looking at Swansea and Bournemouth too..

That's great!

What course was it?
    Id apply for those then, and see how it goes. Then whatever other unis you choose, maybe some that require BBB as back up, just in case.

ReputationRep:
    What course was it?

Economics and Politics

ReputationRep:
    My course is English (which is fairly competitive) and the unis I'm looking at are Nottingham/Glasgow. Well done for getting into Cardiff too!
    My course is English language thank you!

ReputationRep:
    there is always clearing if worst comes to worse so you should always apply to the aspirational unis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neal95)
    Who dares wins. My mate who did btec business and had a c at maths was told not to apply to ucl for accounting and management or something to that effect, and that he should instead not take another year and apply for ucl. He got in, I was encouraged to go to Birmingham city uni, took a year out, got into Sheffield. Your personal tutors definitely mean well (and mine later helped me out for my Ucas reference in November before last) but it's in their interests to encourage you to go to uni. To them it Dosent matter what you do after you leave college/sixth form, your just a stat that is published. Use your own judgement and stand your ground if you really want to apply to a certain uni, but do be respectful and consider their advice to
    How much did you improve by in your gap year though? I did shocking and got CCC and am not sure if I should do a year out or not as many people are saying employers only accept first sittings anyway so there would be no point in going to a better uni. Also how did you go about the exams? Were you a private candidate?
    Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrojanH)
    At AS I got AAC and was predicted ABB.
    Jeez, you got predicted down a subject?! That's harsh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexp98)
    How much did you improve by in your gap year though? I did shocking and got CCC and am not sure if I should do a year out or not as many people are saying employers only accept first sittings anyway so there would be no point in going to a better uni. Also how did you go about the exams? Were you a private candidate?
    Many thanks
    I only improved by 2 grades, but it was enough to get me into a much better uni. In fact, a lot of grad schemes have removed Ucas point requirements, including some law firms and accountancy firms, and Those that do request first sittings only can often be pretty flexible. It's definitely worth it for me, because having been to many law events and programmes etc that help you get a career in law, I have been told that I wouldn't have been there if they didn't believe I had the Potential to get a training contract. There is a lot of routes in and you can easily show your worth through other ways than academics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    Jeez, you got predicted down a subject?! That's harsh.
    Yeah some schools do it.

(Original post by Emma:-))
    Id apply for those then, and see how it goes. Then whatever other unis you choose, maybe some that require BBB as back up, just in case.
    I was thinking applying for 2 ABB unis, 2 BBBs and one lower than BBC..

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.