Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So, I passed two of my AS Level subjects and got E's in my other two subjects. Can't really comment on it, because I worked my butt off for these exams. That one day where I had a clash with my subjects honestly just ruined it for ME. Unfortunately, at my college, you're required to get 3 grades above a D to continue to Yr 13 which I haven't achieved. I talked to my head about it and he said I'm definitely staying in the college but I still have to make an appeal via email. Now, the question is, can anyone tell me how on earth I should start this email because I am overthinking too much and I've written the email and scrapped the email a number of times now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    My statistics teacher used to say it all year, I left preparation till the last minute and all becuase of stats I ended up with a B today, I was quite confident I'd get an A but knew stats was hold me back if anything and I didn't prepare. So I got a punch in the arm from him today lol

Hope you figure it out, tbh I'm actually in a boat where I wish I could do AS again even though I've done okay… just do what you think you'll enjoy and be prepared!!
    My law teacher had warned my class that there would be a few retaking the AS modules during A2 and the doubled pressure that comes with it. I vowed that I wouldn't be one of them, yet my nightmare has become reality which is just fab.

A 'B' is still something to be proud of, especially for those of us who failed miserably You've done better than okay, congrats and thank you for your advice. I've yet to face the hard bit so better put my brave face and thinking hat on ASAP lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyesy)
    I wouldn't recommend it personally. That would mean what? 6 summer exams?
    In my ideal world and situation, it'd mean a hell of a lot of exams.

6 Psychology, 4 English Lit? as well as Coursework on top of that and 4 Law exams ...and that's me guess-timating :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RZA17)
    May have to consider retaking year 12 then
    dw about it, its what I'm planning to do

ReputationRep:
    Do not panic!! I was predicted B's for both Psychology and Sociology- I got a U in both!😱 I thought it was the end of the world and my hopes of going to university to study Criminology was gone. However, when I changed Sociology to Health and Social Care at A-level, I got my head down, worked hard, worried less about my friends and more on my work! Today, that paid off massively!🎉 I needed 280 UCAS points and left today with 543, getting into my top choice university AND sorting my accommodation. The best advice that I can give, is to not panic, work hard now that you know what the first year was like, and focus on yourself first!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by RZA17)
    In my ideal world and situation, it'd mean a hell of a lot of exams.

6 Psychology, 4 English Lit? as well as Coursework on top of that and 4 Law exams ...and that's me guess-timating :/
    So 14 exams plus coursework?

In my humble opinion it would be better to not spread to yourself so thinly. More exams means being able to spend less time on each one which in turn could potentially have a negative effect on their results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyesy)
    So 14 exams plus coursework?

In my humble opinion it would be better to not spread to yourself so thinly. More exams means being able to spend less time on each one which in turn could potentially have a negative effect on their results.
    That's if I got the maths right, which looking at todays results is most likely wrong. You're right, I can't afford to screw up more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masonmolly07)
    Do not panic!! I was predicted B's for both Psychology and Sociology- I got a U in both!😱 I thought it was the end of the world and my hopes of going to university to study Criminology was gone. However, when I changed Sociology to Health and Social Care at A-level, I got my head down, worked hard, worried less about my friends and more on my work! Today, that paid off massively!🎉 I needed 280 UCAS points and left today with 543, getting into my top choice university AND sorting my accommodation. The best advice that I can give, is to not panic, work hard now that you know what the first year was like, and focus on yourself first!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    WOW! Well done, that's amazing! This has honestly inspired me and filled me with hope. May I ask a few questions? Did you retake Psychology? And did you have to stay on a year?

I could also do with some advice on how to progress from here? Obviously I need to get my head down & fully commit myself to my studies but how do I go about that? As you may be able to tell my current, or should I say previous study technique has failed me so, how did you set yourself straight?? x
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by RZA17)
    I have, but it's honestly the last thing I want.
    You are inevitably going to feel like that today. It is sucky, but I would suggest you go do something active that you enjoy, with people you like, that really takes your mind off things this weekend and let yourself settle down into a more calm mindset.

In the grand scheme of life you are unlikely to regret having another go and doing them well this time, and it really won't be so bad, you can make it a good year of friendships and study.

Control the controllables - there is no use worrying about what is done. Try and get yourself into a calmer headspace, and then just make a practical unemotional decision next week.

You will be fine. Stay happy, and TSR is here for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisN)
    You are inevitably going to feel like that today. It is sucky, but I would suggest you go do something active that you enjoy, with people you like, that really takes your mind off things this weekend and let yourself settle down into a more calm mindset.

In the grand scheme of life you are unlikely to regret having another go and doing them well this time, and it really won't be so bad, you can make it a good year of friendships and study.

Control the controllables - there is no use worrying about what is done. Try and get yourself into a calmer headspace, and then just make a practical unemotional decision next week.

You will be fine. Stay happy, and TSR is here for you
    Definitely, my head is all over the place at the moment so instead of making a haste decision I might just take a few days off before I tackle getting my life together, thank you v much though, I appreciate the advice.

ReputationRep:
    Ive always wanted to do medicine but i fell into depression after gcses werent all A's due to an incident that required surgury near exams and resulting in no coursework handed in btw got mainly b's c's.retook from last year (AS) which my grades were d e u in bio, chem and physics. I go to a poor preforming college and did the new syllabus which i took a2 bio as chem and as physics and recieved A*AA. I havent done ukcat yet but will unis espically kings in particular accept my application?

ReputationRep:
    Wait if sociology has reformed and phycology has then surely you would have less exams and not 13!! They just test less of the AS content. Well it's like that for the sciences not too sure for humanities. But they woudnt be crazy enough to make us do that many exams. So you're essentially just retaking two exams - the law ones which have not gone linear yet.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.