Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do bilinguals think in their weaker language? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maracatinca)
    It depends, but mostly in the first year of school I think (6-7 years old), even though some may start earlier and some later. In my case though, I was exposed far earlier than that; I had a couple books in English and, like most of my generation which I'd say is generally good with English, got to watch cartoons that were mainly in this language. Anyway, since most of the media has increasingly contained English throughout the years, it's fair to say I've been in touch with it almost daily for years on end. So in short, it's been more of an organic process for me than a direct result of formal education (even though that certainly helped as well)
    So then is your Romanian or English stronger?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by momoneyme89)
    What is your mother tongue? Can you think in any other languages?
    I used to be able to think in a third language, (well actually I was fluent in a second before I even started learning English, which is technically only my third, but by now my most comfortable) but I have almost wholly forgotten that.

What does it matter what my mother tongue is, lol?

ReputationRep:
    So then is your Romanian or English stronger?
    Well Romanian is still my native language and I use it everyday in various contexts, so I'd say it's stronger, but the margin is not that big.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    I used to be able to think in a third language, (well actually I was fluent in a second before I even started learning English, which is technically only my third, but by now my most comfortable) but I have almost wholly forgotten that.

What does it matter what my mother tongue is, lol?
    Dunno, just so I don't have to call it "mother tongue" lol.

So you can think in 2 languages?

ReputationRep:
    Well Romanian is still my native language and I use it everyday in various contexts, so I'd say it's stronger, but the margin is not that big.
    Can you think in Romanian?

ReputationRep:
    Can you think in Romanian?
    Lol obviously, it's what I suggested even in my first post here, but I'm sorry if I wasn't clear

ReputationRep:
    Lol obviously, it's what I suggested even in my first post here, but I'm sorry if I wasn't clear
    And I'm guessing you can think in English as well, given how perfect you write in English. Can you think in any other languages?

ReputationRep:
    And I'm guessing you can think in English as well, given how perfect you write in English. Can you think in any other languages?
    When I was preparing for my language exam in German I found myself thinking in it sometimes, though it happens far less often nowadays. I also watch a lot of Korean shows and help translate some, so after a couple hours of translating/watching I also find myself having some thoughts in Korean. Now I don't know how healthy that is, but I don't mind it :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    I can, but I have to force myself to, as in consciously force my native language in my head otherwise english will dominate.

ReputationRep:
    I think in whatever language I'm speaking in, since sentence formation differs in each. Makes no difference in how good I am in them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InadequateJusticex)
    I can, but I have to force myself to, as in consciously force my native language in my head otherwise english will dominate.
    what is your native language?

ReputationRep:
    what is your native language?
    Tagalog

ReputationRep:
    Tagalog
    Can you think in Tagalog?

ReputationRep:
    I try to, but it's not always easy.

ReputationRep:
    Can you think in Tagalog?
    Yeah, but it's not a language I use daily (nor weekly) so I can't think in it as fast as I can in English ha

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but it's not a language I use daily (nor weekly) so I can't think in it as fast as I can in English ha
    So you can think in Tagalog and English, no other languages, right?

ReputationRep:
    I am trilingual and I don't think in German anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saran23)
    I am trilingual and I don't think in German anymore.
    What languages can you think in?

ReputationRep:
    I can speak English and Armenian (English is stronger) and I will pretty much always think in English. I can think in Armenian but it rarely just happens naturally if I'm not actively trying to do it. In terms of actually speaking, the conversations in my house are a weird mixture of saying something in one language and then replying with another and occasionally replacing a word with the other language version mid-sentence.

ReputationRep:
    What languages can you think in?
    English and Tamil.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.