Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagician. Funny?)
    Do you want to do history at uni?
    probably not, but that isnt really the point lol, i enjoy history and am good at it so i chose it in order to have an essay subject. also doing 2 languages and then not doing it at uni doesnt look very good when applying for other courses (as ive been told by some ppl including my brother who is at cambridge)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roya)
    probably not, but that isnt really the point lol, i enjoy history and am good at it so i chose it in order to have an essay subject. also doing 2 languages and then not doing it at uni doesnt look very good when applying for other courses (as ive been told by some ppl including my brother who is at cambridge)
    What do you want to do at uni? Your point about it not looking too good is like taking two sciences when applying for something like law. It just shows you are more rounded and the universities want to know that you have a genuine interest in the subject you wish to study as long as you can do that then you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagician. Funny?)
    What do you want to do at uni? Your point about it not looking too good is like taking two sciences when applying for something like law. It just shows you are more rounded and the universities want to know that you have a genuine interest in the subject you wish to study as long as you can do that then you will be fine.

i'm not really sure what i want to do at uni. if i enjoy economics i may do something like that or related to it. if not maybe business studies or a mixed course including a language.

although i really enjoy languages, i don't want to do it at uni because it's more about just learning lit and the culture of the countries whose language you are studying, which doesnt really interest me as i travel enough to find out for myself lol (plus obviously you learn more vocab and the language in some more depth). also, i just enjoy speaking the languages, which watching some french/spanish tv or speaking to ppl in the language can help me learn it in more depth myself lol.

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone for the advice so far

any more advice would be really appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    And I get negged over saying I don't like French?
    Honestly...people these days are too emotional, and I blame daytime T.V.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Hippysnake)
    And I get negged over saying I don't like French?
    Honestly...people these days are too emotional, and I blame daytime T.V.
    Just for the record, it wasn’t me; I simply quoted you with a ‘curious’ smiley, but didn’t –rep you.

ReputationRep:
    If you like both equally, you're equally good at both and you have no intention of studying languages at uni, it really doesn't matter which one you take. You say the culture/literature side doesn't really interest you, but does it interest you more in one language than the other? You will have to study some of that, at least the culture part, at A-level. If the school/college uses different exam boards, see if one suits you more than the other. Are you more likely to spend time in one country than the other? I really wouldn't worry about which is more useful because all languages are, especially since so few Britons can speak anything other than English. Spanish would be more useful overall because it's spoken by more people and also more widely spoken, as well as the fact that not as many people study it, but French would be more useful if you wanted a job that was something to do with eg the EU.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Kellywood is right. And also, the fact that employers often disregard a language in itself unless you can speak it almost fluently. It's just another A-level.
    If you excel at A-level, it might be OK, but it does depend on what you want to achieve.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.