Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are you for the death penalty in cases of certain guilt? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DicksOut4Haram)
    Lol only because they get about 20 appeals and the lawyers need to be paid each time

How much do you think it costs to drag someone outside, kneel them down in the snow then shoot them in the back of the head?
    Are you willing to accept liability for whenever someone has been killed for a crime that they didn't commit.

It's all fine and well to call for heads to roll, but since it is virtually impossible to have a system with the death penalty in which no innocent people will die, who will take responsibility when they do? And that also means that it may very well happen to you.

Restricting someone's freedom of movement in the interest of public safety cannot compare to taking a life. If they are innocent, at least they have a chance of getting out and being compensated in some form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WBZ144)
    Are you willing to accept liability for whenever someone has been killed for a crime that they didn't commit.

It's all fine and well to call for heads to roll, but since it is virtually impossible to have a system with the death penalty in which no innocent people will die, who will take responsibility when they do? And that also means that it may very well happen to you.

Restricting someone's freedom of movement in the interest of public safety cannot compare to taking a life. If they are innocent, at least they have a chance of getting out and being compensated in some form.
    The thread is asking a theoretical question, in the case of certain guilt. In reality I oppose the death penalty because there is no such thing as certainty, but in this theoretical instance I support it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    That's too kind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Having all their freedoms, choices and privileges taken away, just so they can work for no pay for the benefit of the society their crime harmed? I see nothing kind about that.

ReputationRep:
    Lol only because they get about 20 appeals and the lawyers need to be paid each time

How much do you think it costs to drag someone outside, kneel them down in the snow then shoot them in the back of the head?
    Well economically probably not very much aside from the cost of transporting the unlucky winners to somewhere that snows and the cost of our western allies looking upon as a barbaric country, devoid of human rights (also factor in the cost of revoking our current human rights law).

If you're so keen to live in a country that shows such little regard for human rights then perhaps try Saudi Arabia or Syria, I hear Aleppo is lovely this time of year.

The thread is asking a theoretical question, in the case of certain guilt. In reality I oppose the death penalty because there is no such thing as certainty, but in this theoretical instance I support it.
    Why ask a theoretical question that's impossible? If I started threads asking questions like 'if you could walk on water would run to New York or São Paulo first?' people would think it was an idiotic post.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes definitely.

Yet we are happy to lock people in cages to show killing is wrong. :rolleyes:
    Well supposedly they are locked in cages to protect them hurting anyone else whilst we try and stop them doing it again (not that we necessarily do a very good job at that). Got a better idea as to how to protect the public from crazy people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dheorl)
    Well supposedly they are locked in cages to protect them hurting anyone else whilst we try and stop them doing it again (not that we necessarily do a very good job at that). Got a better idea as to how to protect the public from crazy people?
    The majority of criminals aren't crazy, calling them crazy is essentially giving them an excuse

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underscore__)
    The majority of criminals aren't crazy, calling them crazy is essentially giving them an excuse

Well done, you missed the entire point of the post just to nitpick.

To me anyone who kills someone must be a bit crazy. It's not an excuse, it's just a fact. Unless in self defence or the defence of others no mentally stable person should ever want to kill someone.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Prison is supposed to show criminals that what they have done was wrong. Killing them will not teach them anything.

Moreover, we punish them for doing wrong but we do wrong if we kill them, right?

ReputationRep:
    Having all their freedoms, choices and privileges taken away, just so they can work for no pay for the benefit of the society their crime harmed? I see nothing kind about that.
    They shouldn't even be given that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They shouldn't even be given that.
    Why? Even if you are certain they are guilty, killing them is just a further loss to society. It's completely illogical.

ReputationRep:
    Well done, you missed the entire point of the post just to nitpick.

To me anyone who kills someone must be a bit crazy. It's not an excuse, it's just a fact. Unless in self defence or the defence of others no mentally stable person should ever want to kill someone.
    Well medical professionals disagree with you, most murders are found mentally healthy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No. The death penalty is the easy way out. For example Peter sutcliffe (Yorkshire ripper) wishes he'd been given the death penalty. Put then in an A grade prison where they face the wrath of other prisoners, have cramped rooms, allowed visitors once a month or so and have to be up at the early hours of the morning every single day for life

ReputationRep:
    Well medical professionals disagree with you, most murders are found mentally healthy
    In a medical sense, sure. In a functioning normally in society sense, the fact they'd willingly kill someone is enough evidence to the contrary.

ReputationRep:
    In a medical sense, sure. In a functioning normally in society sense, the fact they'd willingly kill someone is enough evidence to the contrary.
    But what you're saying makes no sense. 'Crazy' relates to a medical concept, if someone isn't medically 'crazy' then they aren't crazy. It's funny how people can say only a crazy person would kill another person yet this thread is full of people advocating the killing of other people

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    But what you're saying makes no sense. 'Crazy' relates to a medical concept, if someone isn't medically 'crazy' then they aren't crazy. It's funny how people can say only a crazy person would kill another person yet this thread is full of people advocating the killing of other people
    And I would equally deem them crazy if they mean it. Crazy here is being used in a casual sense. Like I say, I'm confused as to why you would ignore the entire point of a post just to nitpick about semantics. Hey ho, I guess that's the internet for you.

ReputationRep:
    And I would equally deem them crazy if they mean it. Crazy here is being used in a casual sense. Like I say, I'm confused as to why you would ignore the entire point of a post just to nitpick about semantics. Hey ho, I guess that's the internet for you.
    I had nothing to say about the main point, I just don't like when people call criminals crazy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why? Even if you are certain they are guilty, killing them is just a further loss to society. It's completely illogical.
    Maybe it's a good loss.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I had nothing to say about the main point, I just don't like when people call criminals crazy
    Meh, you'll have to just dislike me then, because to me anyone who kills someone is some kind of crazy. I don't care whether you want to attach a medical definition to it, or find a different word, but they aren't suitable to be part of society, and I'll continue calling that crazy.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it's a good loss.
    I don't believe there is such a thing as a good loss, but hey ho, if you can see it would be a loss to society yet still think it's the right thing to do I guess our opinions are just going to differ.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No. It's simply that the psychopathy and disorders they have are not considered as mental illnesses in America

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.