Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Maybe

He was a project manager/construction type person weren't you?

I remember your thread about a possible career change? Or am I thinking of someone else?
    Chartered Surveyor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)

Take that dull old profession of "Quantity Surveying" for instance. Immediate employment guaranteed. Start at $27-$30k a year (not bad for a 21/22 year old!) + perks. And best of all? The only competition is the employers falling over themselves to offer you a job.
    A lot of Geography grads go into surveying of some kind

But academic degrees are still the best way to get into a lot of careers.

ReputationRep:
    What are you doing with yourself now Howard?
    New job! As from next Monday I will be Project's Commercial Manager for the International Speedway Corportation based in Daytona Beach Florida.

Should be exciting and see me jetting around the US from facility to facility with a massive budget to look after!

ReputationRep:
    A lot of Geography grads go into surveying of some kind

But academic degrees are still the best way to get into a lot of careers.
    I know the head of Maplin's Human Resources is a Salford Geography graudate. He is only in his mid 20's too.

That particular geography course was one of the weakest links and was since dropped I think. There is nothing wrong with geography, people who diss it are jsut showing ignorance.

Its probably not the easiest subject either.

ReputationRep:
    New job! As from next Monday I will be Project's Commercial Manager for the International Speedway Corportation based in Daytona Beach Florida.

Should be exciting and see me jetting around the US from facility to facility with a massive budget to look after!
    That sounds like a bloody good job! Well paid too :cool:

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like a bloody good job! Well paid too :cool:
    A significant cut on the last one I'm afraid. But, the US job market absolutely stinks right now so I was very fortunate to get this position indeed.

But, it should be a terrific job and won't do my resume any harm!

ReputationRep:
    And stop talking of Siany as if she were a four year old. If she wants to study Geography she's unlikely to be put off by the comments of someone she doesn't know on an internet forum. If she is as fragile as you suggest I doubt she'll make it through Freshers week anyway.
    Yes, i can make my own decisions. But who said i am 'fragile'??

ReputationRep:
    How about "none of the above" and instead try doing a degree that has an outside chance of giving you paid employment at the end of your studies?
    Whatever happened to the idea of going to university because of your passion for the subject?

ReputationRep:
    The graduate market is changing. Years ago any graduate would be inundated with offers of employment from blue chip companies, local government, the civil service, etc. Why? Because there were so few of them of course.

The situation today is different. Armies of graduates are churned out of college every year; there are more graduates than there are graduate jobs.
    This is very very true. Add to the armies of graduates a huge influx of overseas students - particularly Europeans, who are incredibly talented, can speak 4 languages fluently, and have an ambition and drive that most students here lack.

But Howard, realise that not everyone's after a high flying career. I would not recommend Geography to anyone who's after a top blue chip offer - you'll have work so hard to stand out from the crowd. But SianY, if you get a 2.1 in Geography from a top 20 uni you'll have no problem getting a job; it just won't be a 'top' one.
    (Original post by Mishael)
    Whatever happened to the idea of going to university because of your passion for the subject?
    As Howard says, there used to be a time when you could study whatever took your fancy, and if you were at a decent uni and hit a 2.1 have a good job lined up at the end of it. But now with competition fiercer than ever, there's the assumption that your degree choice directly relates to what you want to go into. Every single day this month I've had someone say [usually in hardcore Indian accent] "So why are you studying Geography if you want to be an investment banker?"...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Every single day this month I've had someone say [usually in hardcore Indian accent] "So why are you studying Geography if you want to be an investment banker?"...
    What annoys me is the fact the other subjects like history and English literature don't get slated as much as geography but what good are they for 'top jobs?' If someone at sixth form says they want to do history they get positive comments but if someone asks what i want to do and i say geography, they're like "Oh, why? You can't do much with a geography degree can you? What do you want to do afterwards."

After uni i am planning on either going into teaching (as it's something i've always wanted to do) or doing something like town planning.

What would you say are the top 15 universities for geography Jools?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    What annoys me is the fact the other subjects like history and English literature don't get slated as much as geography but what good are they for 'top jobs?' If someone at sixth form says they want to do history they get positive comments but if someone asks what i want to do and i say geography, they're like "Oh, why? You can't do much with a geography degree can you? What do you want to do afterwards."
    I know. It's just the way things are. Basically it's because they carry some prestige, having been studies by academics for centuries, whereas Geography as a discipline is relatively new. It gets stick at uni as a lot of people ended Geog in Y9 so they think it's about colouring in maps. And Americans stopped doing it in Kindergarten before it branches off into it's direct disciplines - sociology, economics, biology, etc. So they think your final exam is going to be naming all the capital cities in the world. Idiots.
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    After uni i am planning on either going into teaching (as it's something i've always wanted to do) or doing something like town planning.
    Why didn't you say so?! It would have avoided the hassle of considering studying Economics etc. If that's what you want to go into then just do Geography. (Geog & Education will be a lot more workload). Then if you want to become a teacher just do the PGCE qualification afterwards. And for town planning you're sorted. Get some work experience during your uni years at your borough council / local education authority and you'll soon figure out which one takes your fancy.
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    What would you say are the top 15 universities for geography Jools?
    Cambridge. Durham. UCL. Oxford. Southampton. Nottingham. Bristol. Sheffield. Edinburgh. St Andrews. Lancaster. KCL. Aberystwyth. Exeter. Reading.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 19, 2004

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.