The Student Room Group

Edexcel geography a level remark as level-urgent help please!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ninapudding
Hey guys, I'm in a similar situation. I found this year's exam really odd - constantly got high As throughout the year and my results was a B, 155 UMS (5 off an A). I've sent both off for a remark since it's only like 2 raw marks I need to push it up for an A.

I'm shocked because I did really well in Unit 2 (something like 90% of all total marks) but apparently I completely flopped Unit 1 with a low B, which doesn't make sense because I felt that although it was a weird exam, I knew all the answers and did a point per mark and extra, including explanation? :s-smilie: I did every Unit 1 past paper so I kind of knew what the examiners were looking for in the lengthier answers too. I even looked up some of the answers afterwards by cross-referencing my textbook and they were correct. So I'm worried it was maybe a case of examiners not being able to read my handwriting or something else completely. Anyway, I'm hoping it can be pushed up to an A.

Has anyone heard of anyone getting their remarks back, and if so, what was the outcome?

Get a photocopy of the script back
Original post by OrdinaryStudent
The remarking system has changed too, which makes it harder for marks to go up.

I wanted to do geography (need AAB), but now my dream is in tatters

Is geography still the old spec? Also what university do you wish to go to?
Cambridge lol. Im going to retake or remark and probably take a gap year., What university do you want to go to?
Original post by geography1294

Cambridge lol. Im going to retake or remark and probably take a gap year., What university do you want to go to?

Damn thats tough lol, Cambridge want like 90% average at AS level not just A's. Are you AS or A2?

I just finished A2 and going to Kings to study Geography :smile:

Damn thats tough lol, Cambridge want like 90% average at AS level not just A's. Are you AS or A2?

What grades did you achieve at the end of A2?
11 raw marks for an a grade all together
3 ums for a b grade.
Is it unlikely for it to go up?

It might be unlikely that the grade will grow up since it is 11 marks. But it depends if you really think you'll be able to make up for that ground, I guess you can only do that if you think back to the exam and think about whether there were places you could've gone wrong or didn't exactly answer questions as you normally would. You might want to get a photocopy first to go through it with your teacher and see if it's actually worth a remark. If I were you, just because I have experience with how risky remarks can be, I would think it safer to just resit either exam.

I really hope that helps, good luck with it.
I'm really disappointed with my grade in edexcel geography too, I was predicted A/B all year and I ended up with a D which I'm pretty upset about :frown:
Original post by imaanmirza
It might be unlikely that the grade will grow up since it is 11 marks. But it depends if you really think you'll be able to make up for that ground, I guess you can only do that if you think back to the exam and think about whether there were places you could've gone wrong or didn't exactly answer questions as you normally would. You might want to get a photocopy first to go through it with your teacher and see if it's actually worth a remark. If I were you, just because I have experience with how risky remarks can be, I would think it safer to just resit either exam.

I really hope that helps, good luck with it.

I was three marks off a B grade overall though. If I dont get that B grade, I cant apply to university this year

That's exactly right. The system has now been changed so that remarking isn't as easy as sending your paper off and getting it reviewed and it perhaps going up or down. They've made it much more difficult to get a remark, one in which examiners can really look through and consider changing marks. It's very disappointing. That's why I'm ordering a photocopy first to see if it's worth it, if not, at least I'll be able to keep my grade and not risk it going down.

I had an A at AS, but got a B at the end of A2 (1 Ums off an A). My teacher left, and our school couldnt find a teacher quickly, so we had a supply until January (from the start of A2) and didnt finish most of the syllabus so I had to self teach full topics.
I was three marks off a B grade overall though. If I dont get that B grade, I cant apply to university this year

That must be very frustrating. I honestly would recommend getting a photocopy first, if you remark it and it falls (knowing that they've made it harder to get remarks now) I'm sure you'll be even more disappointed. By looking at the paper first, it might just help see if you can actually pick up marks in some places where the examiners didn't think you could and vice versa. But you know best, whether you think you deserved the B so it's completely up to you.

I had an A at AS, but got a B at the end of A2 (1 Ums off an A). My teacher left, and our school couldnt find a teacher quickly, so we had a supply until January (from the start of A2) and didnt finish most of the syllabus so I had to self teach full topics.
Thats really good! What grades did you achieve in your other subjcts?
Original post by jayokay
I'm really disappointed with my grade in edexcel geography too, I was predicted A/B all year and I ended up with a D which I'm pretty upset about :frown:

Remark?
Reply 52
I'm getting unit 3 and 4 remarked, do you guys know roughly how long it will take?
Original post by Raisa97
I'm getting unit 3 and 4 remarked, do you guys know roughly how long it will take?

what grades did you get on them?
Original post by Raisa97

If it's Edexcel 1-4 days generally. Bit longer for OCR, much longer if it's AQA.
Reply 55
doko
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Raisa97

Did your remark come back?
Reply 57
Any updates?

Quick Reply

Latest