Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is the most horrific thing to happen to you in your life? Watch

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    - Bullying throughout my primary school years
    - Internally bleeding 2-3 litres of blood within a couple of hours from a long standing medical condition I have (treated through surgery)
    - Hearing of a friend of mine who passed away by taking her own life

Life always gets better though, aim to think positively and you'll most certainly pull through the hardship My love goes out to all who have gone through times of suffering, you're all such strong people

ReputationRep:
    Recovering the bodies of 4 dead teenagers killed by an idiot driver.

ReputationRep:
    Deffo primary school bullying. April fools was the worst day every year- someone had to put a "kick me!" sign on my back that left me going home in pain. To this day I'm more annoyed with myself for not realizing it was there and not taking it off Having markers thrown at me, being cornered... to think after losing 40lbs majority of them are messaging me on fb and keep requesting to follow me on IG WOHEYYYY SCREW U

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shipreck)
    When I was a 1.5 years old I pulled a pan of oil off the stove and now I have many scars from it. The two main ones are the one on my back that goes from my left shoulder to the top of the lower back, and the other is the one that wraps my thigh where they did the skin graft. I had to wear a latex suit thing for 18months after it happened so my skin didn't fall off.
    y were u such a dumbass kid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshDawg)
    y were u such a dumbass kid
    A question you should be asking yourself, posting such a stupid comment
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Being betrayed by the only person I've ever truly cared about. Even several years later I'm negatively affected by this; I am incapable of sustaining relationships with people. Although I know that most people wouldn't betray me as brutally as this one person did, I am seemingly incapable of loving someone. It's not simply a matter of not being able to trust people (because I can), but I just cannot feel the same way I could before. Strong positive feelings towards people just don't happen for me any more. It's not a conscious decision at all, because I don't want this to be the case. This has already ruined several short term relationships which would have otherwise been great. I can't properly sum up this situation in a single paragraph, but I've done my best.

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel failing to send any A2 Maths results to UCAS until yesterday! Consequently, my first choice uni can't send out any offers until all of the results have been collated. Hoping to go to Sheffiield University to study Electronic & Electrical Engineering, but still waiting for the offer that I thought I'd get at 8am on Thursday. If I have to press the refresh button on UCAS Track one more time, I think I'll go crazy! Is anyone else out there in the same position? Praying for an unconditional offer today 😩

ReputationRep:
    I would post about domestic abuse and bullying myself but it seems laughably trivial compared to some of the stuff people are saying on here

ReputationRep:
    Got bantered off 2 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    I sat a WJEC exam once. I mean, I also got molested by a sadistic clown who made me try to breed with his pet cow called Betty, but, I mean, a WJEC exam, cmon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidguettafan)
    Mine is the bullying from hell I suffered every day for 5 years

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was relentlessly bullied for 7 years (and still am) it was so severe that I was
    hospitalised due to being kicked in the balls so hard they thought I would never have children again I think I was vomiting blood

I nearly drowned to death in a pool it happened like this I was around 7 and my
    cousin was 10 I didn't know how to swim so I was in the shallow bit of the pool he put me on his shoulders and then jumped into the deep end without telling me
    I was too scared to get off his shoulders because I would drown but I was pushing him down making him drown so I sacrificed myself for him and jumped off his shoulders letting him rise up for breath he then got out the pool thinking I escaped but I was at the bottom of the pool trying to jump to the surface but I couldn't do it Ithen slowly sunk down and just looked up through the water and I felt at peace I
    didn't want to resist anymore and then at the last moment some fat kid grabbed me and then dragged me to the surface I was in shock afterwards so I don't
    remember anything after that

a door handle penetrated my head due to my cousins sister slamming a door
    straight in my face while I was chasing my cousin

my kitten got ran over and its spine broke so it dragged its self to the pavement
    with its 2 front legs and the back ones were just trailing behind it (its entire lower body was paralysed) it died infront of me

my best friend fell onto a knife and it penetrated his heart killing him
    (I was 2 he was 4) R.I.P Brandon

I was at a holiday and some random irish kid picked me up and dropped me on my head (don't know why)

I have also been suffering with insomnia since the age of 12 and I know that I have probably shortened my lifespan
    as I am typing this to you now I have been up for 2 days and only a couple hours of sleep so it makes me depressed
    I crie

ReputationRep:
    I have also been suffering with insomnia since the age of 12 and I have probably shortened my lifespan like literally as I am typing this now I have been up for the past 2 days with only a couple hours of sleep
    so it makes me depressed
    I crie

ReputationRep:
    Salmonella :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidguettafan)
    That's terrible . If you don't mind me asking, what happened to cause his death?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This content is potentially distressing
    He committed suicide. He was a chronic alcoholic who suffered from serious bouts of depression as well. He just couldn't stay sober for longer than six months at a time. We had all travelled over to his mother's house for a few days. While there he started drinking. She hated alcohol. Lost her husband to it. Anyway I don't drive and a brother of his had to take time off his job as a police officer in County Donegal, to drive over to his mum's house in County Mayo and drive us all back to where we lived in County Down. My son's dad was about to get in the car to e driven home, and he decided to top up his bottle of Aftershock and pour two bottles full into one large container so he would have more to drink in the car on the long journey home. Well his 80 year old mother just completely lost it with him. "You've been nothing but trouble your whole life, more than the rest of your brothers and sisters put together. I don't want you to ever step foot inside this house again. We'll come and visit you once in a while but you are never to come here again". I could see how hurt he looked. He lived for going back to his home county a few times a year and seeing his old school friends. He sat quietly in the car, while our son had gone back into the house for a last minute widdle before the long journey, and he said, "I'm going home to hang myself". I didn't even answer. I had heard it all before and so had everyone else. He would phone either me or one of his brothers or a friend up at 4 in the morning telling us he had taken a load of pills and drink, knowing full well we would all then run around like headless chickens organising a bed for him in the local detox place. Only for him often to discharge himself two days later and go straight back on the drink. The amount of times I would get a worried phone call off his mother concerned that she hadn't heard from him for a few days and would I go down and check he was OK? Often after he had drunkenly hit or kicked me ,and yet I was expected, because I was the only one who lived near him [about 5 miles away] it was supposed to e my responsibility ever single time to telephone the local detox clinic, book him a bed in there, then contact his GP and get a letter and prescription off him to give to the detox place, and pack his belongings he would need while he was going to be in there. Over and over again I had it for years. And yes, I massively resented it, while his siblings were all too busy leading their successful lives as teachers, doctors, estate agents, policemen, etc. Anyway, this last time I saw him with his sister, who had driven down from Dublin to come and visit him, I saw him about 2 days earlier. He was pretty much in the not giving a **** anybody was there mood. We tried to persuade him to agree to go into detox but he was having none of it. Now his family could have intervened and had him sectioned. But no-one did. Two days later his mother is back on the phone tome worried about him.I had to pass his street anyway in the taxi [I don't drive] as I was taking our son, who was then 10,swimming. I told our son ,Sean, to wait in the taxi for a few minutes while I went in to check his father was OK. I let myself in, stomach in knots like I always had, never knowing what I was going to find. He lived in a bungalow. I saw him lying face down on his stomach ,with his face to one side, and I thought he was asleep, as that was how he always slept.So, and I remember it so well, I started giving off to him, I said, "Oh there you are. Will you bloody well delete all your messages stored on your 1571 so people can leave new messages for you?" Normally her would stir, stretch and look at me. Only this time he didn't move. I walked in closer to him. Still no reaction. I thought he looked a funny colour. I touched his upper arm .It was as stiff as a board. I then touched his hand and it was ice cold. Then I knew he was dead. Called the police and an ambulance.The ambulance woman, bless her ,she was only doing her job, but she said to me, Would you like to go back in the bedroom and try and feel for a pulse? I told her I was not going back in that room and he was as stiff as a board,so he was beyond help.The policeman who came out actually had dealt with him before during some drunken escapade in his street, and remembered him. He said, "Do you want to telephone his mother ?" [His next of kin]. I said I am not telling that old woman her eldest child is dead over the phone. So his local force must have liased with the police in the Republic and a police woman or man was sent round to his mother's house to break the news to her. I never even twigged at the time. But the first thing the policeman asked me when he went in to the house was "Did he leave a note?" And then I realised it was suicide. And then looking around the living room I noticed all the power sockets in the room had all been switched off. It was as if he knew he wasn't going to need them anymore. His death certificate said, "Alcohol and Drug Toxicity", Which I suppose is a nice way of putting it.There was a post mortem all the same. As is traditional in Ireland, he was Waked in his coffin in his mother's sitting room. Buried in his beloved Mayo next to his father. That was in July 2007. I've only been back to the area once since, to stay with his relatives. Sitting in that living room with his mother, having a cup of tea freaked me out, thinking about the coffin that had been in there, with the open casket, and his very heavily made up face, and a section of the skin on his chin that had come away, and the funeral director had to do a quick patch up job of it and glue his skin back on. Our son and his cousins took it all in their stride. They all went up to the coffin together, and were discussing how funny he looked with make up on and the funny way they had styled his hair. It helped to demystify the whole death thing I guess. I suppose when my son's 90 year old grandmother finally pops her clogs I will have to show my face and attend the funeral. With the Wake first, in the same sitting room as before. [Sorry if this has been too long and too depressing]. Lisa.

My most horrific moment was almost being hit by a bus.

It really felt like death was upon me.

I really need to watch where i am going and stop at the traffic lights

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    When a close friend of mine attempted suicide and was in hospital for awhile.

It terrified and saddened me to my very core.
    :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    x
    Ahh sad See what a few nasty actions and words can do to people, especially people with mental health issues?

ReputationRep:
    Losing my godmum
    Best friend killed herself
    And I saw a puppy being run over when I was little. I couldn't stop crying.

ReputationRep:
    I ate an ant once

seems I can't really compare to everyone here :3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny the Geezer)
    Ahh sad See what a few nasty actions and words can do to people, especially people with mental health issues?
    This content is potentially distressing
    Yep. His mother apparently has been a vicious ***** her whole life to her 7 children, according to her only daughter. But all her children love her and visit her regularly. Her many many friends think she is wonderful [Such a good Catholic,you see].Her husband died early [not bloody surprised as she more or less nagged him to death],leaving her to look after the children and run the pub her and her husband had bought a few years earlier. I know it must have been tough but you don't take it out on your kids. My son's dad used to be battered by her for the slightest thing, usually for not getting an A grade in something. As a few of them were. He told me he was still wetting the bed at 13. Hardly surprising he hit the bottle. As I said I don't go down there. She is just turned 90. I phone her up every week and see how she is and we chat for ten minutes or so. She has said some nasty things to me too, over the years. Always apologises later. But the damage is done by then. She is a devout Catholic; blesses herself every single time she passes a Catholic church either by car or on foot. Rosary Beads out every day. Sean's dad had it out with her a few times about her religiousness and the hyprocrisy compared to the way they were all treated. She's fully aware she went over the top with them all. Don't get me wrong they were well fed, well clothed and well educated. But to this day she refuses to acknowledge she was in any way responsible for her son killing himself. Maybe she knows deep down ,I don't know. But from what she's said to me, she feels not a shred of guilt whatsoever. Lisa.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.