Economics Applicants 2017

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chumaniward)
    results:
    gcse: 11a*
    as:
    AAAA (geography history economics maths)
    B (further maths)

thinking oxford, warwick, bath then choose between durham edinburgh st andrews kings

I want a good uni or nothing - does everyone apply to a uni with a lower grade offer?
    I was in the same position as you last year, all but one of my options were hyper-competitive (A*AA for three of them, and AAA for two of them), if you're confident of meeting the grades then go for it. Remember, you don't need to fill in all 5 options at the start. You can leave one blank and see if you get offers, and then fill in the 5th one accordingly depending on whether or not you need a safe offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supplynddemand99)
    Nice mix . How much o you think oxford, UCL, Warwick care about GCSEs, because I only got 4A*, 7A's and 2 b's
    Oxford generally go for around 6A*s but don't let that deter you. The other two id say your grades wouldn't hinder you at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ze Witcher)
    I haven't done Economics at A-level but I have done maths so was wondering, do they introduce you to the basics of Macro/Micro at Russel Unis? And would they discriminate me in the fact that I didn't do Economics at A-level when comparing me with other students? (Didn't do Economics because my school never offered it)

Also what sort of jobs can it lead to? I was interested in Chartered Accountancy but I might not do A&F as I want a more mathematic/broad financial degree
    No university (that I'm aware of) requires economics, so don't worry about that. Most uni's offer two different micro/macro courses in the first year - one for those who did A Level econ, and one for those who didn't. Uni's will only discriminate against a student who didn't do economics at A Level if is was an option to them, as this would suggest a lack of enthusiasm for the subject.

In terms of what jobs an economics degree can lead to, you're better off googling it as there are so many different sectors you can enter. However, if you're interested in accountancy, but not really interested in economic theory, I'd advise you not to do an economics degree, as you'll end up disliking the pure economic modules. Do A&F instead and pick the more mathematically heavy modules they offer, as you'll actually gain skills that will be directly relevant to your future employment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisP97)
    No university (that I'm aware of) requires economics, so don't worry about that. Most uni's offer two different micro/macro courses in the first year - one for those who did A Level econ, and one for those who didn't. Uni's will only discriminate against a student who didn't do economics at A Level if is was an option to them, as this would suggest a lack of enthusiasm for the subject.

In terms of what jobs an economics degree can lead to, you're better off googling it as there are so many different sectors you can enter. However, if you're interested in accountancy, but not really interested in economic theory, I'd advise you not to do an economics degree, as you'll end up disliking the pure economic modules. Do A&F instead and pick the more mathematically heavy modules they offer, as you'll actually gain skills that will be directly relevant to your future employment.
    Thanks for responding! Is there any material where I can read upon the economic modules to see how they are? I am reading the Undercover Economist at the moment to get an insight and Im thoroughly enjoying it but doubt that it has any strong correlation to what I'd learn at Uni.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for responding! Is there any material where I can read upon the economic modules to see how they are? I am reading the Undercover Economist at the moment to get an insight and Im thoroughly enjoying it but doubt that it has any strong correlation to what I'd learn at Uni.
    The Undercover Economist is more of a small taster than anything; it doesn't really introduce you to any economic theory. That said, if you enjoy what you're reading, you are likely to enjoy studying economics for real. At least, that's what happened with me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tols)
    Oxford generally go for around 6A*s but don't let that deter you. The other two id say your grades wouldn't hinder you at all
    Oxford don't care about your GCSE's (beyond the obvious 'the better your grades, the better you look as an applicant'), they have their own admissions tests and interviews which are far, far more important.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I haven't read the Undercover Economist. In regards to reading up on economic modules, here's a list of warwick's. They usually have a reading list at the bottom (worth using those books to talk about in PS rather than common books like undercover econ.):
    https://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/e...nt/ug/modules/

Considering that you're not studying A Level economics, it may be worth your while buying a cheap undergrad pure econ textbook to get a feel for what you'd be learning. Don't bother spending lots on it as you'll end up having to buy a new one if you do economics at uni; the one below is the one I have, only 1p used! It doesn't assume any previous knowledge of economics.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Economics-D...usch+economics

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I haven't read the Undercover Economist. In regards to reading up on economic modules, here's a list of warwick's. They usually have a reading list at the bottom (worth using those books to talk about in PS rather than common books like undercover econ.):
    https://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/e...nt/ug/modules/

Considering that you're not studying A Level economics, it may be worth your while buying a cheap undergrad pure econ textbook to get a feel for what you'd be learning. Don't bother spending lots on it as you'll end up having to buy a new one if you do economics at uni; the one below is the one I have, only 1p used! It doesn't assume any previous knowledge of economics.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Economics-D...usch+economics
    Thank you for the huge list! I have a fair bit of reading to do

ReputationRep:
    JRKinder
    Hey I see your taking a gap year! Are you using the same personal statement as last year and how much are you adding for gap year plans ect.

ReputationRep:
    AS results: A (Math), A (Economics), B (Business Studies)
    Prospective Universities: UCL/Bath, Exeter, Loughborough, Surrey, and Kent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AM66)
    JRKinder
    Hey I see your taking a gap year! Are you using the same personal statement as last year and how much are you adding for gap year plans ect.
    No I've completely rewritten my personal statement since I think it's primarily the reason why I didn't get the offers I wanted last year and have more things to add anyway. I've just written in my gap year plans to the various relevant sections of my PS, so work plans in the work experience bit, extra maths in the maths section etc (but I identified I was doing a gap year a bit earlier on so it makes sense).

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys so i sent off my application today does it matter only having one insurance choice of Newcastle at AAB in the 5 options with the other 4 AAA or above, My targets for A2 are AAA after achieving AAA in the subjects im carrying on at AS, surely Newcastle wil give me an offer so i dont need to worry about adding another potential insurance

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs: 6A*, 4A, 1C
    AS levels: AAAA (Maths, Economics, Geography, History - which I've now dropped)
    Predicted A2: should be 3A* I think
    Course: Economics
    Universities: Warwick, Nottingham, York, Leeds, Manchester

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I went through the 2016 economics application process, so feel free to ask me any questions. I ultimately applied to LSE, Warwick, Birmingham, UCL, & Nottingham. I received offers from the latter 2 (withdrew application from Birmingham).
    Hi, mind if I ask whether Nottingham gave you an offer of A*AA or AAA please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joddcfc)
    Hi, mind if I ask whether Nottingham gave you an offer of A*AA or AAA please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I already had A* in maths so offer was AA

ReputationRep:
    I already had A* in maths so offer was AA
    Ah okay, cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supplynddemand99)
    AS Results: AAAA (Chemistry, Physics, Maths and economics)
    unis: Warwick, UCL, Bath (don't know about the other 2)
    Btw, should I drop an A2 Subject (either chem or physics) and do further maths as, and should I do an EPQ?
    Thanks in Advance

You could do AEA maths

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs: 6A*, 4A, 1B and distinction in additional maths
    As levels: Economics-A, Maths-A & Physics- B (95% average for Maths & 93% average for Econ)
    Predicted A levels: Economics- A*, Maths- A* & Further Maths- A & A/A*EPQ
    Universities: Warwick, Oxford, Bath, Exeter & Bristol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferrari fan)
    GCSEs: 6A*, 4A, 1B and distinction in additional maths
    As levels: Economics-A, Maths-A & Physics- B (95% average for Maths & 93% average for Econ)
    Predicted A levels: Economics- A*, Maths- A* & Further Maths- A & A/A*EPQ
    Universities: Warwick, Oxford, Bath, Exeter & Bristol
    Solid results, which college within Oxford are you going for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElGenioEstúpido)
    Solid results, which college within Oxford are you going for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks! At the moment I am thinking Exeter college.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.