Computing 2017 Applicants

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TiernanW)
    They don't ask for your UMS.

Great GCSE results by the way!
    Ahhh okay that's great I was getting slightly worried there. Seems like Cambridge is the only uni that does ask.

Thanks a lot! Hopefully I can do as well in A2

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

I just realized that there is no thread for the 2017 Computing applicants, but there is for the 2016 ones.

You don't have to do this bit, but the other thread had it:
    Course: MEng Computing (Games, Vision and Interaction)
    Subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Software Systems Development @ A2 + Biology @ AS
    Grades: AAAAA @ AS + 1A* 8A 1B @ GCSE + Dist* BTEC Level 2 IT. (Apparently GCSEs aren't really used in the decision making process though)
    Predicted Grades: Don't know yet, but my goal is 4A* regardless.

So anyone concerns or important points?
    How did you decide on Games, VIsion and interaction?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Someboady)
    How did you decide on Games, VIsion and interaction?
    Simply because I love that area a lot. The first two years of the course are supposed to the be roughly the same no matter what stream you do, so apparently you can switch within those two years.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I'm a 2017 applicant. How weird. Ok.

Course: MEng Mathematics and Computer Science (Or BSc, not sure)
    Subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science
    Grades:
    Maths: A
    Computer Science: A
    Further Maths: B
    Physics: B
    Predicted Grades: I imagine they'll be AAAA.
    My college doesn't predict A* grades, so that makes my life easier.

Reckon I have a chance with AABB? I ****ed up this year, got ADUU in my January mocks and still didn't get my arse into gear until after Easter.

I'm not even sure I'll go to uni this year, I might end up doing AFM and some stuff in a third year so I can apply with my A2s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonzrmetal)
    Oh, I'm a 2017 applicant. How weird. Ok.

Course: MEng Mathematics and Computer Science (Or BSc, not sure)
    Subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science
    Grades:
    Maths: A
    Computer Science: A
    Further Maths: B
    Physics: B
    Predicted Grades: I imagine they'll be AAAA.
    My college doesn't predict A* grades, so that makes my life easier.

Reckon I have a chance with AABB? I ****ed up this year, got ADUU in my January mocks and still didn't get my arse into gear until after Easter.

I'm not even sure I'll go to uni this year, I might end up doing AFM and some stuff in a third year so I can apply with my A2s.
    You have to be predicted at least A*AA, as that is the minimum offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kawaii289)
    Do the offers include a STEP exam?

ReputationRep:
    We send people to Oxbridge each year without predicting any A* grades, so..... The college does explain why it doesn't predict A* grades in their reference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArafatQ)
    Do the offers include a STEP exam?
    From reading other people's offers, yes there is step involved. (nearly all the time)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonzrmetal)
    We send people to Oxbridge each year without predicting any A* grades, so..... The college does explain why it doesn't predict A* grades in their reference.
    I see, well that would probably be an exception. You would probably be asked for specific module grades or the ums.

ReputationRep:
    From reading other people's offers, yes there is step involved. (nearly all the time)
    Ah wow, I had no clue! Do you know which of the STEP exams are taken and what the typical grade requirements are?

ReputationRep:
    In regards to step..

for straight computing, some people get AEA, others get Step 1 and some get neither.
    JMC stretches to step 2 and 3 I believe. Again there has been JMC's without step offers too.

ReputationRep:
    I see, well that would probably be an exception. You would probably be asked for specific module grades or the ums.
    UMS would be unfortunate, that was nothing to write home about. I'll have to see if anyone's applied to Imperial before and what happened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rabadon)
    In regards to step..

for straight computing, some people get AEA, others get Step 1 and some get neither.
    JMC stretches to step 2 and 3 I believe. Again there has been JMC's without step offers too.
    That's so strange... I wonder what the criteria is for choosing who to give a STEP offer to?

Thank you for your help

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

Course: Mathematics and Computer Science (BEng)

Subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing

Grades: A*A*Aa respectively. Also 1 in STEP 1 and 3 in STEP 2

Predicted Grades: Doing AFM this year, hopefully an A* but i doubt ill get an official prediction

Kind of worried about my STEP 2 grade, will that hurt me slightly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArafatQ)
    That's so strange... I wonder what the criteria is for choosing who to give a STEP offer to?

Thank you for your help
    Idk, it's too hard to work out I think there's a lot of factors.

For what it's worth, I didn't get STEP (straight computing).

AS: AAAA
    A2 predicted A*A*A*

Not really too relevant though, i'm sure reference, ps, interview etc are all taken into account so I wouldn't try and guess what your offer will be, just try your best

ReputationRep:
    Idk, it's too hard to work out I think there's a lot of factors.

For what it's worth, I didn't get STEP (straight computing).

AS: AAAA
    A2 predicted A*A*A*

Not really too relevant though, i'm sure reference, ps, interview etc are all taken into account so I wouldn't try and guess what your offer will be, just try your best
    Thank you for your advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecsstudent)
    Hi everyone, got accepted into Imperial computing and starting there in october so if anyone has any questions about applying, interviews etc. feel free to ask I personally messed up my interview quite badly and missed my offer but somehow got in so don't get too worried if things don't go as expected
    Another question for you.

I know you may not know the answer to this, but do you think it would adversely affect my application if I did Further Maths privately again and didn't have a predicted grade for it?

I originally wanted to drop Biology, and move into the FM class at my school so I would be doing Maths, FM, Physics and Software Systems for A2. I was really torn about whether to keep Biology up, but after correspondence with an admissions tutor, I want to keep all 5 on. He basically said that if I was doing the 4, I would be compared to others doing 4 and Imperial see Software Systems as quite applied (which it is), so I would be slightly disadvantaged, all else being equal, to someone taking Chemistry or something like that. If I continue with 5, Further Maths would be a private entry, and thus I don't think I would have a predicted grade (unless teacher's can still input on it), so I'm wondering if this would have a bad effect on the application.

ReputationRep:

I know you may not know the answer to this, but do you think it would adversely affect my application if I did Further Maths privately again and didn't have a predicted grade for it?

I originally wanted to drop Biology, and move into the FM class at my school so I would be doing Maths, FM, Physics and Software Systems for A2. I was really torn about whether to keep Biology up, but after correspondence with an admissions tutor, I want to keep all 5 on. He basically said that if I was doing the 4, I would be compared to others doing 4 and Imperial see Software Systems as quite applied (which it is), so I would be slightly disadvantaged, all else being equal, to someone taking Chemistry or something like that. If I continue with 5, Further Maths would be a private entry, and thus I don't think I would have a predicted grade (unless teacher's can still input on it), so I'm wondering if this would have a bad effect on the application.
    As far as I know, for as long as you are doing FM there is no disadvantage at all. Maybe your teacher can write something about how you are doing in it in the UCAS reference or you can talk about it in the personal statement. What they will mainly care about is what you will get in FM at the end, once you sit for the exams, so I don't think they would put someone at a disadvantage for not being able to provide a predicted grade (there's a lot of people that self study A levels and they don't have predicted grades either I'm guessing). I'm not an admissions tutor though so maybe it would also be a good idea to email the admissions department about it.

ReputationRep:

I only did 3 and was fine. But you need to do FM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecsstudent)
    As far as I know, for as long as you are doing FM there is no disadvantage at all. Maybe your teacher can write something about how you are doing in it in the UCAS reference or you can talk about it in the personal statement. What they will mainly care about is what you will get in FM at the end, once you sit for the exams, so I don't think they would put someone at a disadvantage for not being able to provide a predicted grade (there's a lot of people that self study A levels and they don't have predicted grades either I'm guessing). I'm not an admissions tutor though so maybe it would also be a good idea to email the admissions department about it.
    I only did 3 and was fine. But you need to do FM.
    Thanks guys for the advice! I just want to make my application as strong as possible, and I have belief that I can still do well with 5 so I might as well.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.