Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

GB beaten 1bn population country (China) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Tbf, 65 countries with populations under a billion also beat a country with the population of a billion (India).

Just because a country's big does not mean they'll spend a lot of money to be good at olympic sport.
    Fyp but the ultimate truth is there appears to be no end in sight to the benefits of our Brexit vote.

Back in the BIG LEAGUES BABY

ReputationRep:
    China has more medals. Just less gold

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Tbf, 65 countries with populations under a billion also beat a country with the population of a billion (India).

Just because a country's big does not mean they'll be good at sport.
    Indians can do any sports but only if they are willing to let go of cricket (which is not going to happen in this century I guess). But we do have the potential to excel in any sports!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drandy76)
    China place a lot of emphasis on Olympic athletes though, I believe they even line up exit jobs for them upon retiring. ( I may be confusing them with Russia)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sports is at the core of every Chinese school. If you don't pass sports at High school you don't get to go to top colleges or universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Workangel_24)
    Indians can do any sports but only if they are willing to let go of cricket (which is not going to happen in this century I guess). But we do have the potential to excel in any sports!
    Disagree slightly.

I don't mean to be offending, but you are a poor nation. When people say "oh well they have over a billion people" - how many of those grow up in absolute poverty, how many in relative poverty? How many of those 1 billion really are able to get the kind of growth in their childhood that develops the body of an athlete? That enjoy the training facilities of a sport suited to his or her physiology? That get coached by good coaches? That have the support of their family and later state to not work but train?

Even if you looked elsewhere from cricket, it would be a long time before you started being anywhere near successful as you population size might warrant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    Disagree slightly.

I don't mean to be offending, but you are a poor nation. When people say "oh well they have over a billion people" - how many of those grow up in absolute poverty, how many in relative poverty? How many of those 1 billion really are able to get the kind of growth in their childhood that develops the body of an athlete? That enjoy the training facilities of a sport suited to his or her physiology? That get coached by good coaches? That have the support of their family and later state to not work but train?

Even if you looked elsewhere from cricket, it would be a long time before you started being anywhere near successful as you population size might warrant.
    Reasons why India is a poor country

http://www.mapsofindia.com/my-india/...-a-poor-nation

If you have time read why India is a developing country...

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/52512636.cms

Billionaires in India...

http://www.forbes.com/india-billiona...t/#tab:overall

We are not a really poor country like Sudan or Malawi because we do have billionaires but the wealth is distributed unequally.

Literacy rate is also another indicator of economic development...

http://www.indiaonlinepages.com/popu...-in-india.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Workangel_24)
    Reasons why India is a poor country

http://www.mapsofindia.com/my-india/...-a-poor-nation
    What is the relevance of this to sport?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    What is the relevance of this to sport?
    I just wanted to say that we are not a really poor country as many foreigners think. Every country has poor people and rich people. There are homeless people here in Britain, there are homeless people in India and in US and so on. Now in terms of sport, our no 1 sport is Cricket and will always remain in our hearts. There are lots of young people who are dreaming of making their entry into Olympics but the truth is that our Government puts more emphasis on Education and sport comes last. That's why there are lots of Indian doctors, engineers, pharmacists and so on. Indian parents are focused on getting their children a place on a medical school or an engineering college so there's no place for sport in their life. But there are some rich Indians who can afford the training, equipment, medical help and nutritional supplements like Abhinav Bhindra - Olympic Shooting Champion. Now if you look at China it's the complete opposite of what India is. They spent millions on sports no actually more like billions to train their young future Olympians. That's because sports has been a part of their school curriculum from a young age. If you look at the BBC programme: Are our kids tough enough - Chinese school, you can see that they place equal amount of weighting on both academic and sports activities. We don't have any benefits system in India or China that's why everyone has to work hard to get a job. But here in the UK it's the opposite! Yet there are also poor people in China as well. I hope you get my point and sorry for being too long

London 2012 - we won 6 medals (2 silver and 4 bronze) and this time 2 ( 1 silver and 1 bronze) and we're happy with that!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.