Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

A-level Reforms are unfair IMO. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Someboady)
    Self Entitled? Buddy this is supposed to be a fair system... If other people have a better chance of getting into a good university then fk the system.

Yeah well that is NOT my point. my point is EVERYONE should do AS-Reforms then. Why should some do it and some not?
    Especially for the last part, this reply deserves a rep. Unfortunately I can't rep OP again :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I've never thought of it in this way before. I have always thought it was unfair in the sense that our year group are at a disadvantage compared to the years above us; their old spec papers were all of similar style so it was easier for them to practice and prepare for their exams. We are also at a disadvantage compared to the years below us; they will be able to use our new spec exam papers as a guide to how their exam will be so they will be more prepared. Our year group had no relevant practice papers at all (the specimen papers hardly count).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessyjellytot14)
    Wow, I've never thought of it in this way before. I have always thought it was unfair in the sense that our year group are at a disadvantage compared to the years above us; their old spec papers were all of similar style so it was easier for them to practice and prepare for their exams. We are also at a disadvantage compared to the years below us; they will be able to use our new spec exam papers as a guide to how their exam will be so they will be more prepared. Our year group had no relevant practice papers at all (the specimen papers hardly count).
    Yeah the specimen papers weren't even representative of any of the exams!
    More annoyingly was that private schools are much more likely to not do AS levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jitesh)
    Yeah the specimen papers weren't even representative of any of the exams!
    More annoyingly was that private schools are much more likely to not do AS levels.
    This is another point I want to make is that..
    Mock exams are sometimes not representative of the new AS syllabus. Not only this but they can be accessible online quite easily hence making "cheating" easier thus allowing for higher predicted grades increasing the probability of the person getting a University offer, and somewhere on the other side of the UK, a kid who didn't cheat because he practically couldn't since he was taking the externally assessed exam and got predicted a B grade... thus he does not receive an offer.
    I don't think that's fair. You might say.. hey that's the college's fault.. but think of the bigger picture here. This is someones future that's been ruined. And cheating DOES happen.. I know at other schools everyone has to retake their Chemistry mock exams because the papers were accessible online and some decided to cheat.

And one more thing is that under funded schools ... i.e. state comprehensive schools not Academies or grammar schools or private schools... do take AS levels simply because they cannot afford to assess exams internally. Again... Is this fair?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Just trying to raise awareness. Did you teach in preparation for Mocks or for the AS-level exams?
    Well my subject hasn't gone linear yet so the AS exams still count. However the college policy for linear subjects last year was to keep standalone AS exams. Most staff members were against this. This year due to staff demand they have scrapped ASs and will be doing "rigorous mocks". Mocks are never gonna have the same pressure as a real AS exam though. Don't get me wrong, I'm not for the AS thing either. The whole reform sucks. It was fine with AS counting towards a full alevel. It meant that university predictions were easier for teachers and it is also an easier structure to teach, content wise.*

You'll find most teachers are against it, but there's a few who are for it because it makes them harder.*

ReputationRep:
    And one more thing is that under funded schools ... i.e. state comprehensive schools not Academies or grammar schools or private schools... do take AS levels simply because they cannot afford to assess exams internally. Again... Is this fair?
    I'm not sure about that last point.. why can't they afford to do exams internally? Financially or as in they need to kick people out who will get bad grades next year and ruin their stats? But it is clear state schools are more likely to have done AS exams. And they were probably more likely to have forced students to do General Studies or Critical Thinking (both terrible courses!)... to look better on league tables and get additional funding!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.