Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

We are Successful OXBRIDGE Re-applicants!!! AMA Watch

• Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by NeverLucky)
    In your second year of Cambridge (first year of actual ChemEng) you have 'Enabling Topics' which you are required to do. For students that have gone down the Engineering route, they are required to go to lectures on various topics in Chemistry such as kinetics and inorganic chemistry.

Source: http://www.ceb.cam.ac.uk/undergradua...secontents.pdf
    Ok, you'd need to check with an actual ChemEngineer (or your DoS...), soz. But my guess is I doubt they assume any chemistry knowledge per se.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Ok, you'd need to check with an actual ChemEngineer (or your DoS...), soz. But my guess is I doubt they assume any chemistry knowledge per se.
    Hmm pretty much every uni that does Chemical Engineering requires Chemistry and Maths. I'll find it a bit strange if Chemistry isn't a requirement tbh tho I suppose it won't take that long to learn everything from scratch.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Hmm pretty much every uni that does Chemical Engineering requires Chemistry and Maths. I'll find it a bit strange if Chemistry isn't a requirement tbh tho I suppose it won't take that long to learn everything from scratch.
    Manchester (the home of ChemEng) and Loughborough don't either.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Chemistry is required for ChemEng (either route) http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...al-engineering. Not required for Engineering (but may be advantageous).
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Peterhouse Admissions)
    Chemistry is required for ChemEng (either route) http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...al-engineering. Not required for Engineering (but may be advantageous).
    Ah! Thanks

NeverLucky - see above!

And, more relevantly, Ayman!

ReputationRep:
    Ah! Thanks

NeverLucky - see above!
    Thank you, I thought I read somewhere that Chemistry was required for ChemEng at Cambridge haha
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Thank you, I thought I read somewhere that Chemistry was required for ChemEng at Cambridge haha
    And do you have it? (I presume not from your question... )

ReputationRep:
    And do you have it? (I presume not from your question... )
    Huh which question? One of my A*s was in Chemistry
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Huh which question? One of my A*s was in Chemistry
    Oh flip. I thought you were the OP asking about remedial chemistry... my bad. I've amended my tag now.

This post kicked it all off!
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...6&postcount=35

ReputationRep:
    Oh flip. I thought you were the OP asking about remedial chemistry... my bad. I've amended my tag now.

This post kicked it all off!
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...6&postcount=35
    Oh yes, I don't think he's applying for ChemEng - only NatSci/Engineering and so without Chemistry A-Level, he won't be able to do Part IA Chemistry in NatSci at all.

ReputationRep:
    Ah! Thanks

NeverLucky - see above!

And, more relevantly, Ayman!
    Thank you! I was curious whether the pain A-level Chemistry put me through was worth it. :lol:

Checking https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ty_engineering for acceptances with A-level Chemistry. 248 offered A-levels, of which 159 have Chemistry. So, 36% of A-level acceptances didn't take Chemistry
    I was looking for a stat like this! In my country, you're pretty much told you can't be an engineer without chemistry in high school.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Ayman!)
    Thank you! I was curious whether the pain A-level Chemistry put me through was worth it. :lol:

I was looking for a stat like this! In my country, you're pretty much told you can't be an engineer without chemistry in high school.
    So you already have Chemistry A-level too! Gah!

ReputationRep:
    Do you think its worth applying if you just achieved the requirements?? As in if the offer for the course is A*A*A and I currently have A*A*AA at A level. Most people who seem to be reapplying have 3-4 A*'s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the-anonymous-me)
    Do you think its worth applying if you just achieved the requirements?? As in if the offer for the course is A*A*A and I currently have A*A*AA at A level. Most people who seem to be reapplying have 3-4 A*'s
    Hi as you mentioned most successful offer holders (for science degrees) achieve 3A* on average. So i would say you wont be as competitive as them. Im a reapplicant and had 3A*(I basically did only 3 tho).
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by the-anonymous-me)
    According to the CAT in his thread, post a-level applicants *can* be successful if they "just" achieved the typical offer but it is less common. It will really depend on the detail of your application (UMS, etc) and interviews, etc.

If you don't mind applying with the possibility of being unsuccessful then you have nothing to lose...

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know the success rate for Medicine reapplicants (mature and non-mature)???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    I did Olympiad Maths and another A level in my gap year

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hello, we meet again. I am the guy who took the STEP last year lol.

How did you get 4 interview scores? Isnt it just 1 interview for Maths?

Was it becaues there was 4 professors at your interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LionLeo)
    Hello, we meet again. I am the guy who took the STEP last year lol.

How did you get 4 interview scores? Isnt it just 1 interview for Maths?

Was it becaues there was 4 professors at your interview?
    2 interviewers at each of the two interviews, each give a score.

Aleo interview style varies from college to college and course to course, not just course to course. Some colleges have 3 interviews for maths, others have 1, some have tests, others don't. Don't generalise one college to all colleges for one course; so the question 'isn't it just one interview for maths?' isn't valid till you specify the college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    2 interviewers at each of the two interviews, each give a score.

Aleo interview style varies from college to college and course to course, not just course to course. Some colleges have 3 interviews for maths, others have 1, some have tests, others don't. Don't generalise one college to all colleges for one course.
    Then does the colleges who just have one interview only have 2 interview scores or is the number of interviewers doubled?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LionLeo)
    Then does the colleges who just have one interview only have 2 interview scores or is the number of interviewers doubled?
    Most of the colleges use two interviewers per interview only (for maths), so they only have two interview scores. Why on earth would they double the number of interviewers...?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.