Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you agree to Britain invading Egypt to protect Ancient Egyptian monuments? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seamus123)
    why don't you sign up and go?
    Lol.

Invariably the people that dream up s**t like this aren't volunteering themselves for it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Yes, a testament to the great cruelty of humanity as it was built on the backs and blood of slaves and forced labour :rolleyes: What a marvelous thing to preserve!

You know what I mean, yes, every human has origins in Africa but not every human in the world would be able to trace their origins back to the people of Ancient Egypt. Not every person in the world is a direct ancestor of the people of Ancient Egypt
    Testaments to human cruelty should also be preserved. We should also be reminded of how terrible we can be.

I know what you, I simply disagree that this means they're not part of a wider human heritage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Testaments to human cruelty should also be preserved. We should also be reminded of how terrible we can be.

I know what you, I simply disagree that this means they're not part of a wider human heritage.
    Yeah but the pyramids aren't used like that. Auschwitz is explicitly preserved and visited as a memorial to the cruelty of nazism and racism and how much damage it can do. When was the last time you heard of the Pyramids being used to educate people about the cruelty of slavery? It's just an income generator for the Egyptian government

My ancestors did not build the pyramids and neither did the ancestors of the vast majority of the native british population. Therefore I do not support british blood being spilt in an attempt to preserve these structures, however pretty they may be to look at

ReputationRep:
    Imo it would be more useful and sensible to intervene (if we absolutely had to) to save people there as opposed to artefacts and objects
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Yeah but the pyramids aren't used like that. Auschwitz is explicitly preserved and visited as a memorial to the cruelty of nazism and racism and how much damage it can do. When was the last time you heard of the Pyramids being used to educate people about the cruelty of slavery? It's just an income generator for the Egyptian government

My ancestors did not build the pyramids and neither did the ancestors of the vast majority of the native british population. Therefore I do not support british blood being spilt in an attempt to preserve these structures, however pretty they may be to look at
    I'm just saying you should use the blood spilled argument. After all, they were essentially built by our distant cousins. I don't think the 'nothing to do with me' approach washes.

ReputationRep:
    Should we defend the houses of parliament if ISIS decided to blow them up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dheorl)
    Should we defend the houses of parliament if ISIS decided to blow them up?
    Yes of course obv because

a) It is British cultural heritage and
    b) There would likely be people inside that would need saving

ReputationRep:
    Yes of course obv because

a) It is British cultural heritage and
    b) There would likely be people inside that would need saving
    You could get the people out without having to try to defend it, with likely a lot less loss of blood... So some buildings are more important than human life?

ReputationRep:
    You could get the people out without having to try to defend it, with likely a lot less loss of blood... So some buildings are more important than human life?
    The scenario you are proposing is ridiculous tbh, British security is so good that it will never happen. ISIS only exists now because we are merciful and reluctant to engage in full scale warfare across the middle east. If we really wanted to we could nuke ISIS to hell and back by merely pressing a button

As long as all the people are out I don't care about the houses of parliament. Undoubtedly they are beautiful but chances are if ISIS had got to that stage they would be have been obliterated already by special security

ReputationRep:
    Yes, a testament to the great cruelty of humanity as it was built on the backs and blood of slaves and forced labour :rolleyes: What a marvelous thing to preserve!

You know what I mean, yes, every human has origins in Africa but not every human in the world would be able to trace their origins back to the people of Ancient Egypt. Not every person in the world is a direct ancestor of the people of Ancient Egypt
    The idea that the pyramids were built by slaves is very old-fashioned. Contemporary thinking points to them being essentially public projects built by people essentially on what we would equate to national service.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    The idea that the pyramids were built by slaves is very old-fashioned. Contemporary thinking points to them being essentially public projects built by people essentially on what we would equate to national service.
    Okay, my point about them being the cultural heritage of one group of people still stands.

ReputationRep:
    The scenario you are proposing is ridiculous tbh, British security is so good that it will never happen. ISIS only exists now because we are merciful and reluctant to engage in full scale warfare across the middle east. If we really wanted to we could nuke ISIS to hell and back by merely pressing a button

As long as all the people are out I don't care about the houses of parliament. Undoubtedly they are beautiful but chances are if ISIS had got to that stage they would be have been obliterated already by special security
    ISIS exists because we are not willing to wipe out millions of innocent civilians and level an entire region in the process.

According to you the scenario the OP is proposing is ridiculous because the Egyptian military can look after themselves, but people are still debating it.

So just for clarification, stonehenge, houses of parliament, palace of hollyrood, liver building. None of it, as buildings, would be worth defending; instead as long as people were safe you'd comfortably see it all destroyed?

ReputationRep:
    Okay, my point about them being the cultural heritage of one group of people still stands.
    That - I have no idea about. I would say that a lot of these ancient peoples bear no resemblance or direct connection to their modern counterparts.

Like the your average white British person is so unlikely to be in any way connected to Boudica, just as modern Greek people aren't really descendants of Classical Athenians or Laconians - so these ancient artefacts aren't really the cultural property of modern people, purely on the basis of geography.

ReputationRep:
    ISIS exists because we are not willing to wipe out millions of innocent civilians and level an entire region in the process.

According to you the scenario the OP is proposing is ridiculous because the Egyptian military can look after themselves, but people are still debating it.

So just for clarification, stonehenge, houses of parliament, palace of hollyrood, liver building. None of it, as buildings, would be worth defending; instead as long as people were safe you'd comfortably see it all destroyed?
    Rightfully so aswell, although I can't help but feel as if ISIS deserves to be nuked

Of course I would not be comforttable with these monuments being destroyed, but the difference is that ISIS would be doing the destruction on home territory, it's therefore more likely that our soldiers would be much more nationalistically orientated and willing to defend them. Invading Egypt to rescue their sites of historical interest would likely be taken as insulting and interferring by the Egyptian army and I wouldn't want British soldiers out there either

ReputationRep:
    Yes, bomb them with drones to protect the history and architecture... oh...

ReputationRep:
    Rightfully so aswell, although I can't help but feel as if ISIS deserves to be nuked

Of course I would not be comforttable with these monuments being destroyed, but the difference is that ISIS would be doing the destruction on home territory, it's therefore more likely that our soldiers would be much more nationalistically orientated and willing to defend them. Invading Egypt to rescue their sites of historical interest would likely be taken as insulting and interferring by the Egyptian army and I wouldn't want British soldiers out there either
    So even our monuments you would only be willing to see soldiers defend them if they individually volunteered, rather than this being an order from higher up? Do you think this should therefore be an option for every military action? Soldiers should only have to fight if they feel like it on a case by case basis?

ReputationRep:
    So even our monuments you would only be willing to see soldiers defend them if they individually volunteered, rather than this being an order from higher up? Do you think this should therefore be an option for every military action? Soldiers should only have to fight if they feel like it on a case by case basis?
    Yes and yes, ideally. I don't think anyone should be forced to fight or risk their life against their own will

ReputationRep:
    no more WARS

ReputationRep:

Actually, I don't think the Pyramids were built by slaves. The latest evidence suggests it was Freemen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    Actually, I don't think the Pyramids were built by slaves. The latest evidence suggests it was Freemen.
    Yes thank you Trinculo corrected me on that above

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.