The Student Room Group

**** them year 10's for pushing the grade boundaries high!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 2016_GCSE
Well they can do it at Year 11 like most students. They should be waiting until there year gets to do the exams rather than jumping the gun and pushing grade boundaries up in Year 10 for Year 11's....

You're again pushing the blame from the teachers to the students. I see no problem with early entry provided the students are prepared. In the end: the teachers entered them in early and the students likely had no say. It's unfair that you're trying to blame them. I seriously don't see a problem with the boundaries, they're always aligned to the top 5-6%, and it's likely no different this year. Thus, if that year is particularly easy, they'll be higher. Although I don't really think that it was that much easier than previous years, looking at the paper, the boundaries seem to suggest otherwise. I suggest you calm down and stop dwelling on what's already done, and cannot be changed.
It might not count towards a student's grade but it could be contributed to grade boundaries.

Because they didn't count, I doubt that schools entered students. I highly doubt that schools had a grudge against GCSE students and they rounded up all of the clever y10s and made them sit the pointless exam.

And fair play to those y10s, if possible, who went on early entry: they obviously deserved the grade they achieved and the grade boundaries are still pretty fair as you can lose like 30 marks over 2 papers.
(edited 7 years ago)
If you were in their position, would you not revise for your gcse exams just so that the people in the year above can achieve top grades easier?
Reply 43
I don't think substantially more swotty year 10s will have sat GCSEs this year than before, such as to shift grade boundaries up. You don't have any evidence OP. I don't wanna be rude OP, but it sorta seems like you're just making excuses cos you think you ****ed up.
Reply 44
Every year, year 10 students are entered early for exams and if my school are anything to go by, students have been entered early for less exams than last year ( previously the year 10s sat English Lang, maths and re but this year we only sat r.e early in order to concentrate on the new specs for maths and English)
Due to the new specification next year for exams some schools were putting year 10's in early for certain subjects to try and secure them a grade on the old specification but in turn exam boards respond to this by putting up grade boundaries to try and stop them passing for the last year of the old specification!

Completely untrue.
If a Year 10 student has taken Maths GCSE then this result will not count in next year's league table/results - why would any school risk drawing Ofsted's attention to them by doing this???
Well this year is very different. Last year of a old spec.
Changes next year make uncertainty's in teaching.

To be honest it is only maths tgat has seen any real increase
Reply 47
Original post by Muttley79
Completely untrue.
If a Year 10 student has taken Maths GCSE then this result will not count in next year's league table/results - why would any school risk drawing Ofsted's attention to them by doing this???

They only put in high achieving students A / A*
Reply 48
"When setting grade boundaries, exam boards consider:

students’ work (their marked exam papers and any controlled assessment or coursework tasks)

reports from senior exam officials about how well the units worked in practice

examples of typical performance expected of students at certain grades (including grade descriptors)

statistics (including predictions of how well the students being considered are expected to do and teachers’ estimated grades for their students)

archived exam papers at the grade boundaries from previous exam series’"

[x]

Second from the bottom. If teachers are putting in high achieving year 10 students then the expectations become higher. So when they do better... it actually has no effect on the grade boundaries.

Which is actually some pretty complicated stuff by the looks of it (there's a very long explanation on the site)
It's worth a damn shot, High grade year 10's unbalance things for Year 11 border line students making things harder for this group mostly.

It's not the Year 10's fault if they're smart enough to do it a year early. If you were good enough to get the grade you were hoping for, you wouldn't need to worry about the boundaries. Last years paper was a lot harder than any other paper and so the boundaries were really low. This year the paper was a lot easier. If it's a lot easier why would they keep the grade boundaries as low as last year?
Reply 50
That's good that grade boundaries are higher. I'm sure in the past you could get something like 50/200 for a C. Even 70 this year for a C is stupidly low.
You get what you work for
They only put in high achieving students A / A*

They won't this year as these results will be invalid for the school! The DfE has made it clear the results won't count in performance tables - a school won't want all its bright students to have no maths results next year.
Education is a political game. Regardless of ANYTHING, if the government does not want anyone to succeed in a particular subject or just generally wishes to reduce the number of people attaining a high status, it will do so by raising the grade boundaries. Entering a bunch of year tens for various examinations has no such effect.
Reply 54
LOL I literally don't understand how people can complain without even knowing their results. For all you know you may have gotten an A* in every GCSE.... You don't even understand how absolutely ridiculous you sound complaining about results you haven't even gotten yet...
Reply 55
Original post by _gcx
You're again pushing the blame from the teachers to the students. I see no problem with early entry provided the students are prepared. In the end: the teachers entered them in early and the students likely had no say. It's unfair that you're trying to blame them. I seriously don't see a problem with the boundaries, they're always aligned to the top 5-6%, and it's likely no different this year. Thus, if that year is particularly easy, they'll be higher. Although I don't really think that it was that much easier than previous years, looking at the paper, the boundaries seem to suggest otherwise. I suggest you calm down and stop dwelling on what's already done, and cannot be changed.

Fully agree with @_gcx and @umar39, what a ridiculous rant made that is executed poorly.

Quick Reply

Latest