Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by remiremi)
    One of the same labour leaders that says we need to "sit around the negotiating table with ISIS" to sort out a peace deal

Labour and the rest of these leftists are deluded
    Yes, and he's the Labour candidate* who I do not support.

Personally I think the rightists are deluded as well.

ReputationRep:
    She wasn't even wearing a burka/burkini/niqab, she wore leggings, a top and a headscarf whilst her kids played at the beach. Well done for France, be exactly like the people you hate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelstresss)
    Yes, and he's the Labour candidate* who I do not support.

Personally I think the rightists are deluded as well.
    Not quite as deluded by the Islamist loving anti-Semites that plague the labour party

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/684...mitism-inquiry

Sure you can say it's just a few "bad apples" but I want these "bad apples" and politicians that rub alongside them nowhere near my liberal democracy, and thank god the public seems to agree with all things pointing to a tory landslide next election.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    'When I invented the burkini in early 2004, it was to give women freedom, not to take it away. '

I created the burkini to give women freedom, not to take it away - the guardian
    https://apple.news/AnMfV0wNzTkG_m1DG7J_SeQ
    I'm pretty confident she invented that thing to make money and now she's all over the media using free advertising space
    If France valued secularism so much, why is the burkini the only form of religious clothing banned while others are permitted?
    Because other religions aren't backward enough to invent a religious swimsuit.

ReputationRep:
    The title made it sound like the fuzz were forcing them to strip naked! There's nothing wrong with what they did here though, you live in France, you follow French customs. No negotiations and no compromises.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    The title made it sound like the fuzz were forcing them to strip naked! There's nothing wrong with what they did here though, you live in France, you follow French customs. No negotiations and no compromises.
    True. My issue here is I thought the burkini itself was banned. The woman was wearing a headscarf, a top (tunic) and leggings, do they now ban clothing that isn't revealing enough or am I missing something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodgypirate)
    :toofunny:

If any of the female members of your family or mine went over to a Muslim country (any of them), they would HAVE to cover up. But they would do that out of respect, wouldn't they - so as not to offend.

However, when Muslims in France are asked to not wear religious attire, they choose not to respect it.

Absurd.
    Were a tolerant country where people can dress how they want. Saudi Arabia is not tolerant country. That's the difference. We're not going to stoop to their level and force people to wear certain clothes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Were a tolerant country where people can dress how they want. Saudi Arabia is not tolerant country. That's the difference. We're not going to stoop to their level and force people to wear certain clothes.
    It's not just Saudi Arabia lol... it's the vast majority of Islamic countries.

Islam is the most intolerant thing around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodgypirate)
    It's not just Saudi Arabia lol... it's the vast majority of Islamic countries.

Islam is the most intolerant thing around.
    Ok, let em rephrase it then.
    Muslim countries aren't tolerant. We are tolerant. An intolerant country forces people to dress in a certain way. Since we are not intolerant, surely we should allow people to dress how they want?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    I'm pretty confident she invented that thing to make money and now she's all over the media using free advertising space

Because other religions aren't backward enough to invent a religious swimsuit.
    You are no position to claim to know her motives, so your opinion is quite frankly irrelevant.

So it's not about secularism then, and the burkini is not only worn by Muslim women.

ReputationRep:
    You are no position to claim to know her motives, so your opinion is quite frankly irrelevant.
    I'm still allowed to give my opinion. Claiming that one's opinion is irrelevant is weak debating.

The goal of every businessman (or businesswoman) is to make profit. She isn't at the head of a charity.

So it's not about secularism then, and the burkini is not only worn by Muslim women.
    Considering that Islam is the only religion for which a specific swimsuit can be associated, it is logical that a ban on religious clothing on the beach or swimming pool only affects Muslims.

Do you have anything to support the claim that non Muslim women also wear a burkini?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IYGB)
    Well done to the French.
    It seems they are Europeans with balls
    Or perhaps, their increasing needless aggression towards innocent Muslims is the reason WHY they have had the most attacks on their land and people in Europe.

How the **** does banning what is effectively a wetsuit with a scarf having "balls"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    Or perhaps, their increasing needless aggression towards innocent Muslims is the reason WHY they have had the most attacks on their land and people in Europe.

How the **** does banning what is effectively a wetsuit with a scarf having "balls"?
    That is no justification for terror attacks

ReputationRep:
    Lol, France fighting the War on Terror by forcing a woman laying on a beach to take off her top because humiliating people who are going about their day will help to prevent further terrorist attacks.

She's wearing Western attire - a tunic and leggings and by being on a beach among other French people is therefore likely to be better integrated than the kind of people who actually pose a real threat.

Yet it seems that merely dressing in a modest way could mean you're a terrorist. I guess women have to prance around in skimpy bikinis to prove that they don't have links to ISIL.
    Meanwhile, these images will be circulating across ISIL-affilitated social media networks - presented in a way to further reinforce the narrative that the West hates Muslims (including those that are trying to integrate) which in turn will inspire more Islamic extremists.

And when another attack happens, France will harp on about its values while everyone stands in "solidarity".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RivalPlayer)
    She's wearing Western attire - a tunic and leggings and by being on a beach among other French people is likely better integrated than the kind of people who actually pose a real threat.
    By the look on their face, I think that the other people on the beach denounced her to the police.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    That is no justification for terror attacks
    No it isn't. Because there is no justification for terror attacks. But that doesn't mean that France banning the burkini won't be used as further ammonition by Islamic terrorists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    By the look on their face, I think that the other people on the beach denounced her to the police.
    Yeah, looking at the pictures, it really does look like the other people 'fessed her up to the police. But she's still on the beach among other Westerners despite the prevailing sentiment. She could easily lock herself away and be around her own people. I mean would a Muslim woman with extremist views really be sleeping/relaxing on a beach among so many scantily clad people in a country like France?

France has a problem with integration. The last thing they should be doing is marginalizing Muslims who are putting themselves in situations where they are among people who aren't like them. That's how integration begins and it should be encouraged. Ok, she's modestly dressed when everyone else isn't, but really what's the big deal - she's not wearing a burqa or face-veil. She's wearing typical Western clothes. In terms of clothing there is no barrier to integration.Pulling Muslim women up and humiliating them in front of everyone else for not wearing revealing outfits on the beach is ridiculous. It's a regressive move.

ReputationRep:
    LIES LIES LIES. THE POLICE ASKED HER TO SHOW THEM WHAT SHE WAS WEARING
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/france-wa...163512426.html

ReputationRep:
    Would you follow the laws of Saudi Arabia when it comes to covering up? My guess is no.

Their country, their law. I see no problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheIr0nDuke)
    Would you follow the laws of Saudi Arabia when it comes to covering up? My guess is no.

Their country, their law. I see no problem.
    Just because it's against the law, it doesn't mean it's right.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.