Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    agreed, although you still have to pass your first year! i'm missing uni already, working at tesco doesn't exactly compensate for the full student experience!
    I worked in the first yearI but some effort in, I just tried to get 60% for everything as it involves effort but nothing to tedious. In my the second year I worked harder and got mainly late 60's to late 70's in my assignments. As a result I should not only have a good contribution to my degree but also get a decent supervisor as my course tutor thinks I can get a first.

There is a little element of having to impress you course tutor as he is the one that will be marking your final degree and they are only human. This dosn't mean you can bribe them.

Next year I am going to work my arse off, not have that much fun, I can have fun when I am earning money and have my own bachelor pad. I will still go out just not as often.

ReputationRep:
    I think my plan is the best.

You people need to start thinking about your lives. You will NEVER be 18/19/20/21 again, if you wanna spend the whole 3/4 years of your degree in your room writing essays or programming websites then fine, but I dont.

And I disagree with saying that there are many cheapers ways of having fun..at University Ill be living with 10000 other people, all my age, within a few km's of each other. Where else do you get that?

And 60k is total *******s.

1200 per year?(or term is it)
    x 3 = 3600 in fees

£50 for rent, £150 for "living" absolutely approximately of course..
    =4500

total 8k, 4 months of the year you can do fulltime work and pay half of that off. Thats 15k(max) after your degree, and thats if you literally go out and get hammered every night..

ReputationRep:
    practice your secret handshakes, buy a smoking jacket and learn how to 'pass the port' correctly.
    I should really get practicing then lol! So basically the rules are, go mad in first year, calm down a bit in second, study more in third and study like hell with no social life for the fourth. All the while avoiding societies that are after you for your money.

Its madnes I tell you absolute madness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thenarbisbanned)
    I think my plan is the best.

You people need to start thinking about your lives. You will NEVER be 18/19/20/21 again, if you wanna spend the whole 3/4 years of your degree in your room writing essays or programming websites then fine, but I dont.

And I disagree with saying that there are many cheapers ways of having fun..at University Ill be living with 10000 other people, all my age, within a few km's of each other. Where else do you get that?

And 60k is total *******s.

1200 per year?(or term is it)
    x 3 = 3600 in fees

£50 for rent, £150 for "living" absolutely approximately of course..
    =4500

total 8k, 4 months of the year you can do fulltime work and pay half of that off. Thats 15k(max) after your degree, and thats if you literally go out and get hammered every night..
    indeed. i'll worry about the debt afterwards

my accommodation is gonna be £72 p/w if i egt in tho

ReputationRep:
    thenarbisbanned I think my plan is the best.

You need to consider why you are going to university, if you want fun with 18 year olds go be a club 18-30 rep. honestly, some people...

ReputationRep:
    ha, most societies are after your membership more than anything, so join one, you can always leave it if its not for you.

if you don't do well in your first year then you'll not have the foundation for the rest, its all realitive though, i found the first year hard but when i was in the fourth year i wished i was in the first year, its like if you went back to to your GCSE's now.

Just have fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj_uk)
    I should really get practicing then lol! So basically the rules are, go mad in first year, calm down a bit in second, study more in third and study like hell with no social life for the fourth. All the while avoiding societies that are afer you for your money.
    I wouldn't go mad in you first year as you have to pass it like timeofyourlife said. However you only need 40% to pass. In some universities you have unoffical sets (like my course does) all the people that did badly in the first year all have the worse lecturers this year. I don't think that is common though.

I would allow about 35-40 hours a week (depending on the course) during the first year including lectures. The rest is your own time so its still a lot of free time.

If you need work part time this means you have much less time for fun though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj_uk)
    I should really get practicing then lol! So basically the rules are, go mad in first year, calm down a bit in second, study more in third and study like hell with no social life for the fourth. All the while avoiding societies that are after you for your money.

Its madnes I tell you absolute madness.
    i think you've got it pretty much sussed. BTW, don't do any work in the first term, concentrate more on going out and making friends!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by worried_mess)
    You need to consider why you are going to university, if you want fun with 18 year olds go be a club 18-30 rep. honestly, some people...
    You are persistent, lol! I take it you are one, have been one or going to be one. One of them have to be right lol! How exactly do you go around becoming a club 18-30 rep. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    You join the socitiies at freshers fair. Be warned they are like vultures as they want your money, only join societies that you feel will benefit you.
    :eek: You have to pay. I'm not happy about this

ReputationRep:
    i think you've got it pretty much sussed. BTW, don't do any work in the first term, concentrate more on going out and making friends!
    Although if you have assignments then you have to complete them

I think I spent around 35 hours a week in my first year on university work at the most. I did also have a part time job though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thenarbisbanned)
    You will NEVER be 18/19/20/21 again..
    that's quite depressing, although a good point nevertheless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    :eek: You have to pay. I'm not happy about this
    Its only a few quid, although I think Salford's shock radio are now charging £15, they justify becuase of the cost of having a commercial broadcasting licence.

ReputationRep:
    If you need work part time this means you have much less time for fun though.
    There's always a downside to everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by worried_mess)
    Why Im going to University? Ive already said, to have fun and get a degree which is better than having no degree as far as job prospects are concerned.
    Why would I want to be a rep in a place thats full of retarded disease ridden townies? Im gonna do that AFTER my degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj_uk)
    How exactly do you go around becoming a club 18-30 rep. :confused:
    BSc Tart Studies and the act of Sexual Naivety (Joint Honours)

ReputationRep:
    Where do you do that degree?? sign me up!

ReputationRep:
    Its only a few quid, although I think Salford's shock radio are now charging £15, they justify becuase of the cost of having a commercial broadcasting licence.
    Thats alrite then. They way you were talking sounded like they were gonna rob my bank account.

ReputationRep:
    Although if you have assignments then you have to complete them

I think I spent around 35 hours a week in my first year on university work at the most. I did also have a part time job though.
    35 hours?? we were in lectures when you were safely tucked up in bed

ReputationRep:
    that's quite depressing, although a good point nevertheless
    Everyones life on this forum is about work, how much money theyre gonna get when they graduate etc...life is about having a good time..and these are the best years of our lives

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.