Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wickedisgood)
    I'm living away from home so the rail card would likely come in handy, and although I do have some savings in my current account I don't have like he thousands that some people on this site have lol.
    So it's possible I may have to dip into that at some point because I won't have much left after accommodation when it comes to my student loan, but I was wondering whether, if you have the overdraft, does it make more sense to use that first or to use up my savings first and then go into using the overdraft afterwards (if I need to)?
    I would only go into overdraft if I knew I could pay it off before it passed the point of going into unplanned overdraft (i.e. It's no longer interest or fee-free - this is something you should avoid going into at all costs cause the fees and interest build up fast on unplanned overdraft)

You can either pay off your overdraft by using your next instalment of maintenance loan, getting a job to make ends meet (as long as your studies don't suffer as a result - so maybe work during the summer to pay it off) and if you're nearing your maximum planned overdraft, I would I pay part of it off with some of your savings (but I would try to leave this option til last, because having savings after you leave university is something that can put you a step ahead in terms of if you wanted get a car or save enough to rent(or even have a deposit to buy) a place after uni.

Most people in uni don't budget and spend money excessively on pointless things (you need food to survive; you don't need five bottles of different types to survive).

As long as you watch what you spend and make sure you don't go into unplanned overdraft, you'll be fine.

Also if you're from Wales, SFW have a partial cancellation policy of loan debt on your maintenance loan debt. What this means is that if you've taken out maintenance loan, they will take off £1,500 from your debt after your first repayment (which can be as little as £5). So for instance, for me, I'll be living at home, in Wales, so my maintenance loan per year is £3590. In total over four years, I will owe £14,360 and they will automatically take off £1,500 from my debt when I request to take off £5 (making my total debt now £12,860).

This is a pretty nice little thing that happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopefulmedic15)
    I would only go into overdraft if I knew I could pay it off before it passed the point of going into unplanned overdraft (i.e. It's no longer interest or fee-free - this is something you should avoid going into at all costs cause the fees and interest build up fast on unplanned overdraft)

You can either pay off your overdraft by using your next instalment of maintenance loan, getting a job to make ends meet (as long as your studies don't suffer as a result - so maybe work during the summer to pay it off) and if you're nearing your maximum planned overdraft, I would I pay part of it off with some of your savings (but I would try to leave this option til last, because having savings after you leave university is something that can put you a step ahead in terms of if you wanted get a car or save enough to rent(or even have a deposit to buy) a place after uni.

Most people in uni don't budget and spend money excessively on pointless things (you need food to survive; you don't need five bottles of different types to survive).

As long as you watch what you spend and make sure you don't go into unplanned overdraft, you'll be fine.

Also if you're from Wales, SFW have a partial cancellation policy of loan debt on your maintenance loan debt. What this means is that if you've taken out maintenance loan, they will take off £1,500 from your debt after your first repayment (which can be as little as £5). So for instance, for me, I'll be living at home, in Wales, so my maintenance loan per year is £3590. In total over four years, I will owe £14,360 and they will automatically take off £1,500 from my debt when I request to take off £5 (making my total debt now £12,860).

This is a pretty nice little thing that happens.
    You seem to know a lot about student bank accounts. Could u please help me with what an overdraft is and what should I look for in a bank account when finding one ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gal cool)
    You seem to know a lot about student bank accounts. Could u please help me with what an overdraft is and what should I look for in a bank account when finding one ?
    This is a very useful link to everything you would need to know about student accounts and there's also a comparison tool at the bottom of the article!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/stu...t-bank-account

This explains is better than I could

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.