Why do girls always do better than boys at GCSEs?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Girls are more academic generally I'd say, across the board. They have always been traditionally given the tasks which require more brai power as opposed to more physical tasks throughout the ages, so it's just evolved from that, add in peer pressure, distraction from the opposite sex etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColossalAtom)
    Source?
    Common knowledge that more males are born than females.

(Original post by Twinpeaks)
    Common knowledge that more males are born than females.
    I guess I'm too dumb to be here, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexFam)
    Education favours effeminate teaching methods. Boys learn more hands-on and physically, girls learn more through direct communication. (this is only one factor of many).
    Evidence that men learn more with more hands on methods?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColossalAtom)
    I guess I'm too dumb to be here, sorry!
    Dw, the difference of actual living humans is much smaller than that. 50/50 for living humans is more correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dheorl)
    Dw, the difference of actual living humans is much smaller than that. 50/50 for living humans is more correct.
    What do you mean by "living humans"?

I don't really get you. Yeah the difference is small, but it does exist. The sex ratio is commonly referred as 105:100.

http://www.livescience.com/33491-mal...sex-ratio.html

ReputationRep:
    Evidence that men learn more with more hands on methods?
    I redact my previous claim. More research has changed my mind on the differences between female and male learning methods. Females seem to prefer uni-modal learning and males prefer more diversity in their methods of learning.
    EDIT: I just re-read and noticed the sample size was tiny in the aforementioned study. I'm not really too invested so it's whatever.

It seems it's much more individual than just male vs female learning methods.

ReputationRep:

I don't really get you. Yeah the difference is small, but it does exist. The sex ratio is commonly referred as 105:100.

The sex ratio at birth is often referenced as anything from 105 - 107 (although the accuracy of this is often questioned) but if you account for the entire world population, the difference is much smaller, with a ratio more along the lines of 101-102:100, less than 1% difference.

I have to admit I don't fully know the reasons for this. If its that birth rates favouring males is a modern thing, or if simply more males die in infancy.

ReputationRep:

105:100 isn't 5% more women. It's 2.4% more.

ReputationRep:
    105:100 isn't 5% more women. It's 2.4% more.
    When did I say that it's 5% more women? It was another poster who said that.

ReputationRep:
    I redact my previous claim. More research has changed my mind on the differences between female and male learning methods. Females seem to prefer uni-modal learning and males prefer more diversity in their methods of learning.

It seems it's much more individual than just male vs female learning methods.
    As a psychology graduate, I agree with your final statement. It's never that simple.

ReputationRep:
    When did I say that it's 5% more women? It was another poster who said that.
    Oh yep.

ReputationRep:
    The sex ratio at birth is often referenced as anything from 105 - 107 (although the accuracy of this is often questioned) but if you account for the entire world population, the difference is much smaller, with a ratio more along the lines of 101-102:100, less than 1% difference.

I have to admit I don't fully know the reasons for this. If its that birth rates favouring males is a modern thing, or if simply more males die in infancy.
    Well when you look at the entire population across all lifespans, it makes sense that that statistic will be drowned out by other factors. For example, females tend to have a longer life expectancy on average.

ReputationRep:
    Well when you look at the entire population across all lifespans, it makes sense that that statistic will be drowned out by other factors. For example, females tend to have a longer life expectancy on average.
    I'd be curious to know at what age it balances out. Is it purely because of more older (70+) women living longer, or does it start to swing at a lower age, for instance around 30, due to more men dying in combat/work/general life than women, or is there a difference of infant mortality between the sexes. I guess it's a combination of at least two of the above, just not sure what the prominent factor is.

Most prevalent to this conversation is does this actually have any effect on balance of genders in British schools. IIRC in Britain there are actually overall more women than men.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be curious to know at what age it balances out. Is it purely because of more older (70+) women living longer, or does it start to swing at a lower age, for instance around 30, due to more men dying in combat/work/general life than women, or is there a difference of infant mortality between the sexes. I guess it's a combination of at least two of the above, just not sure what the prominent factor is.

Most prevalent to this conversation is does this actually have any effect on balance of genders in British schools. IIRC in Britain there are actually overall more women than men.
    All valid points, I'd be curious to know as well

Obviously the difference will differ considerably in developed countries where men are more likely to work in more physical, higher risk jobs. But then equally in such countries, there's a greater risk of female mortality during child labour. Swing and roundabouts.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Does your body insecurities make you avoid PE or exercise?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.