Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Only 4 weeks left!!!!! :-)))))) Cant wait to go So glad the stress of waiting for results is over and now i can actually start looking forward to goin not stressing over whether i've got in or not

WE'RE GOING TO LEEDS ;-)))))))))))))))))))))))))))

ReputationRep:
    I didn't quite get the grades, so I rang up and 'begged' for a place, and the guy on the other end of the phone goes 'oh, well i've got you down as an unconditional offer anyway, so we were going to accept you whatever grades you got'

GET IN!!!

hehe, I'm planning on doing Engineering materials technology. haven't actually found anyone else who's doing that degree.

I'm hoping to stay at Clarence Dock, it looked really nice when I visited there before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George-W-Duck)
    Got back in touch yet Misbah? thats an outrage, you think something so important could be done ightly
    Nah, I don't think there will be any point as I missed out on the grades anyway

ReputationRep:
    Hey all!

my friend recommended this site. tis a cool idea to get people connected before we arrive at uni!!

i'm gonna be studying Arabic, i cant wait!! are any of u guys here plannin to do that too? or do u know ne1 who is? i'll be having a year abroad too which sounds pretty exciting......but i gotta get used to living away from home in this country first :eek: lol!

well thats all for now folks :cool:

Masalama

ReputationRep:
    alrite ppl, i just about got in for microbiology BCC, so ill cya all there does anyone know when we find out where we're gona be stayin.

ReputationRep:
    hi yeah another person off to to the school of biochemistry and microbiology.
    wow, we could be lab partners. im off to do medical microbiology, but people who do microbiology and medical microbiology go to the same lectures etc...

have you been sent all that stuff about the course yet, what extra 20 credits are you going to do? i was thinking of doing basic physiology?!

where did you put down to live?

ReputationRep:
    ohh i think we find out where gona stay after the 26th, and should get a contract to sign before sept 11th!

ReputationRep:
    wow guys this is all so exciting!!!!!!! Is there anybody out there doing anatomy and physiology?????????

Is anybody else scared about the money situation??? I'm soooo broke I'm gonna have to get a job as soon as I get there!!! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stardanse)
    wow, we could be lab partners. im off to do medical microbiology, but people who do microbiology and medical microbiology go to the same lectures etc...

have you been sent all that stuff about the course yet, what extra 20 credits are you going to do? i was thinking of doing basic physiology?!

I was looking at the electives options today and also thought it was 20 credits but its actually 30 to 40 you have to do.

I might do a couple of computer things as all coursework and very useful for future jobs etc.

ReputationRep:

Pharmacology is highly recommended for you micro students, I know thats what a couple of my friends did, but don't choose it because its expected, do something you find interesting. I did law electives with my maths course and loved it, and my house mate did archeology with her Micro degree. Electives were the best bit of uni!

ReputationRep:
    have any of you been sent the pre arrival pack? it supposed to be sent the week commencing the 23rd, which was mon- does that give list of electives you can do?

30-40credits?! im gona be so busy, the stuff they sent me bout the course said that i wud be doing 20hrs of work a week and then they expect me to do another 15-20 hrs extra on my own! i dont mind that so much, as the course looks really intresting. but thats a hell of a lot of hours. now im expected to do more work!

i thought id been getting more time and having a lot more fun, but it seems to me i wont have much time for that! :confused:

im off to natwest to get the biggest overdraft as i can £1250, as im gona be a really poor student too.

is anyone else scared that their course is going to be really hard?

ReputationRep:
    I'm more worried that i wont enjoy the course and then ill be stuck in the same boat again but it should go well hopefully!

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting natwest overdraft too as im also poor. As for electives check out www.leeds.ac.uk/electives for a list of the ones availible.

ReputationRep:
    Whats an elective :/ ?

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure this area is for the majority 1st year students. However, is anyone doing postgrad? More precisely a masters in International & European Law

is anyone else scared that their course is going to be really hard?
    Degree courses, lectures, coursework etc. are quiet easy-going. Its the exams that are solid! lol

Don't worry about the course just yet, give it a month then start thinking about it! the majority of you must of spent hours filling out UCAS forms and visiting universities! So you can't of made that much of a bad decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penwong)
    Whats an elective :/ ?
    Electives are basically modules you can take from other departments. Most courses leave spaces in the time table for them (arts subjects have more choice then sciences) You can pick just about anything you want so long as you have the relevant pre-requisets (sp>?!) and they fit into your timetable. Most first year electives don't have any pre-requesits, but a lot of 2nd/3rd year modules require you to take an introductory module first.

Micro students - I think you only get 10 credits worth of electives through out your whole three years, your course is very structured and you don't get much choice in what you do, however there is quite a lot of variety within the course (Micro, biochem, genetics, virology etc)

Most Arts/ joint honours students get about 40 credits of electives, in fact joint honours is a lot like Alevel, you can easily end up studying three subjects! You can choose not to do electives and pick modules from your own department.

Maths students are highly recommended to do 120 credits of maths in first year, although it is possible to move things about and do 20 credits of electives. The department won't let you do more than 20 credits on the maths course, but mathematical studies students can do 40.

Hope thats cleared some things up. One more thing, if you have your heart set on a particular elective thats likely to be very popular, make sure you get there very early for registration and have a back up choice because popular choices fill up fast. (which is how I ended up doing a module on ENvironmental Law (town planning and nature conservation) and getting one of my best marks!!!)

ReputationRep:
    in the info i got sent about choosing an extra 20 credits, it also said to be there early, but what time is early? as it didnt actually give an idea of what time in the morning?!

ReputationRep:
    hey stardanse, thats proper crazy ur goin to the same place, so where you from n that. i applied to go bodington, n really wana get in there, so supose ill seeya in a month then m8

ReputationRep:
    in the info i got sent about choosing an extra 20 credits, it also said to be there early, but what time is early? as it didnt actually give an idea of what time in the morning?!
    9 o'clock. I went in that early the last two years and was in and out within 20 minutes. Its amazing how many people are too lazy to get up that early, but its really worth it. I know people who've gone in the afternoon and taken over an hour

ReputationRep:
    I had a book sent through this morning about meetings I have to go to. I'm doing a joint honours in anatomy and physiology and it said I have to go to a 'joint honours' meeting as well as the individual subjects. I've found the meeting for the physiology but anatomy isn't on the list!!!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 6, 2005
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.