Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by integral_neo)
    Are you really 57 years old?
    Yep.
    That entry in my profile in accurate.
    Some more info.
    I have a degree in Computer Science - pass degree - from Newcastle Polytechnic. I also have a degree in maths - 1st class honours - from the OU.
    I started doing the masters, in maths, a few years ago but took a break in the 2nd year. I'm currently thinking about whether or not I should return to the masters course, or just give up completely.

if he is then he shouldn't be allowed to take part in maths competition in maths thread i think coz its unfair with others.. he is doing maths degree and most of the poeple in maths have only done A2, so if he is to be allowed to take part then age/experience should count in the final mark... i am gonna tel this to mik1a as well
    I like doing maths and I like helping people out with problems.
    Let's see what mik1a decides.

ReputationRep:
    Are you really 57 years old?
    Wow man... That's a good bit over twice my age

I can suddenly feel youthful again (at 27!)!

ReputationRep:
    if he is then he shouldn't be allowed to take part in maths competition in maths thread i think coz its unfair with others.. he is doing maths degree and most of the poeple in maths have only done A2, so if he is to be allowed to take part then age/experience should count in the final mark... i am gonna tel this to mik1a as well
    Mik1a didn't specify an age limit I don't think. Just because he is older doesn't mean he should be discriminated against. It's not like we don't need the wiser people around here

We should count ourselves lucky to be in the midst of such a mathematical talent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    Mik1a didn't specify an age limit I don't think. Just because he is older doesn't mean he should be discriminated against. It's not like we don't need the wiser people around here

We should count ourselves lucky to be in the midst of such a mathematical talent.

I never said that he should be banned from doing the test all im saying is that age/experience should appear in the final mark i mean mik1a should tak ageexperience into account when producing the final mark (i.e. it should reflect this)

I think Fermat would agree with this this is just to be more encouraging towards young mathematicians. Its no big surprise if Fermat can do all questions right but if a A-level or GCSE student gets them right then he should be givem more credit, if u know wot i mean. these questions for a maths degree holder (Fermat) are so easy whereas its going to be a big achievement for alevel/GCSE student to do these questions.

And i am glad that we have people of such mathematical experience and ability on this forum like Fermat, its great but my point is independent of this.

ReputationRep:
    Hi integral_neo,
    I think I understand what you mean. That entrants in the competition should have some kind of handicap? Or something like that? To keep contestants on a fairly even basis? I can agree with that, up to a point. My disagreement mainly being about implementation. I'm not too sure how you would take mathematical ability into account! Past exam marks? Predicted scores? Anyway, that may very well be mik1a's problem to decide about. Still haven't heard anything from him.
    Oh btw, I know it's billed as a maths competitoin, but I don't think there's any prize to be won, or any award to be competed for. Just the privilege of having your efforts entered on a scoreboard.

I think Fermat would agree with this this is just to be more encouraging towards young mathematicians. .....
    This is something that I think should be encouraged in the UKL maths society. A lot of the questions can be quite hard, and quite a few of the members are limited in their mathematical experience - in fact members don't need to have any! My point being that I think it would be better if there was a division among questions posted - to be tackled depending on maths experience.
    As I said some of those questions can be quite hard. And the lesser equippped members can't do them. And when easier questions appear, the big boys get in first and post the answers
    But then this is a problem for chrisbphd.

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.