Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Was like 40% girls in my class. Though i think overall there were like 3x as many boys doing FM.

ReputationRep:
    In my Further Maths class of three, one was a girl. In the year above I think there was one out of five. However in the year below there are two out of three.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamic_Vicz)
    I'm curious about this. When I started AS Further Maths last september there were 8 students in the class. All but 2 of the students were boys. This september 5 students will be continuing A Level Further Maths of which none are girls. Peeps I genuinely have this question in mind : Do (enough) girls do Further Maths? Haven't seen any on TSR!
    Yes. We do FM too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    My FM class had only 5 of us and were all boys. The year below us has 5 people as well, one of which is a girl. So really, don't expect females to think so much as far as maths goes.
    You think you're being funny?

ReputationRep:
    I took further maths and there's only 3 of us out of 18 who are girls. There's also only myself and 2 other girls in my physics class compared to 20ish guys...
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shuu00)
    You think you're being funny?
    Don't be so triggered and learn to take a joke.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be so triggered and learn to take a joke.
    I don't consider sexist remarks to be 'jokes'. You have pretty *****y humour
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Wait wait... are you saying you didn't like my joke???? Huh/???? CAN'T BE!! OH NO! A PERSON WHO DOESN'T LIKE A SPECIFIC TYPE OF HUMOUR!!!! HOW CAN I TELL JOKES IF EVERY SINGLE PERSON DOESN'T LIKE THEM?!?! GOD FORBID MY HUMOUR NOT SATISFYING EVERYONE'S HUMOUR TASTE ARGHHHHH :woo::woo::woo::woo:

*explodes*

ReputationRep:
    ur a joke
    Spoiler:
    Show
    just banter..

ReputationRep:
    Wait wait... are you saying you didn't like my joke???? Huh/???? CAN'T BE!! OH NO! A PERSON WHO DOESN'T LIKE A SPECIFIC TYPE OF HUMOUR!!!! HOW CAN I TELL JOKES IF EVERY SINGLE PERSON DOESN'T LIKE THEM?!?! GOD FORBID MY HUMOUR NOT SATISFYING EVERYONE'S HUMOUR TASTE ARGHHHHH :woo::woo::woo::woo:

*explodes*
    Sure, humour is subjective; certain things probably shouldn't be 'joked' about though. You (and most people) probably wouldn't make a racist joke, so why a sexist one?

ReputationRep:
    I go to a boys school and there's a girl that does further maths. That's not even a joke.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Sure, humour is subjective; certain things probably shouldn't be 'joked' about though. You (and most people) probably wouldn't make a racist joke, so why a sexist one?
    But I do make racist jokes when the time is right, though. Giving that privilege only to sexism would be more ironic than iron itself. I'm not even from here and I joke about foreigners coming here and stealing jobs, so technically I am going against everyone and even myself equally. Nobody is special.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah there are some gyaldem but mostly mandem

ReputationRep:
    But *I do make racist jokes* when the time is right, though. Giving that privilege only to sexism would be more ironic than iron itself. I'm not even from here and I joke about foreigners coming here and stealing jobs, so technically I am going against everyone and even myself equally. Nobody is special.
    Being foreign yourself doesn't justify your racism.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    *Well aren't you lovely*
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Being foreign yourself doesn't justify your racism.
    Doesn't it? Alright then, I make jokes about white people too. There.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't it? Alright then, I make jokes about white people too. There.
    And that makes it any better because?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    And that makes it any better because?
    Because rather than joking about something specific, I joke about the entire family that the joke arises from. Fairness. Is this really that hard to understand? You must be a blast at parties.

Anyway, you're derailing the thread.

ReputationRep:
    shuu00
    RDKGames

Ladies, this is the Maths forum. Where intelligent people like myself congregate to help solve interesting maths problems. If you'd like to argue please take it outside.

ReputationRep:
    I think you have a misunderstanding of jokes.
    Jokes cannot be racist or sexist. Jokes that you perceive as racist or sexist are almost exclusively making fun of racism or sexism; they partly derive their humour from the shock value of racism or sexism, which only works because most people find such positions abhorrent. The maker can be, though you have little way of knowing, bigoted themselves, but the joke itself? Nope. Jokes are jokes. They are intended to elicit a response. They make no moral or political statement. Let me give you an example:

"How many cops does it take to change a lightbulb?"
    "None, they just beat the room because it's black."

This makes light of the fact that black people are often disproportionately targeted by police. But is the joke itself "racist"? Of course not. If anything, it is anti-racist.

Those who derive the most humour from prejudicial sentiments are most likely to be least prejudiced, because they recognise the absurdity of said prejudices to the greatest extent, hence their finding humour in it. It is utterly facile, anti-intellectual, and, ultimately, moronic, to proclaim that the pedlars of supposedly prejudiced jokes are themselves prejudiced.

ReputationRep:
    ALL my friends who are female do further maths AND science.

Loads of girls do further maths where I live? Where the hell are you living?!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.