Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beeconcerned)
    Worked out that i will have £17 a week in my first two terms because of the way my loan comes in (last term i have £97 which is annoying)Dont have any saved up and parents arent rich enough to help me out hardly at all. Obviously have applied for jobs and waiting to hear back on that but for now i have just £17.So basically, how do i do this without dying and maybe still have money for booze??? seriously freaking out right now.
    17 a week is not hard imo if you stick to food and supermarket brands (btw, alcohol/sweets/etc does not qualify as food ). Some TSRians on here have survived on 10 a week or even on £5 a week :0. With 17 a week, you can afford to eat and stay healthy but you will be drinking only water.

ReputationRep:
    Really like the ideas on here - especially the breakfast of oats, honey and banana. A good lunch, or tea is omelet buy 15 eggs at aldi for $1.25 - good value and will really fill you - buy frozen veggies - like peas to add to omelet or use any left over veg (if you have any) - buy parmesan cheese - again from aldi $2.30 - seems expensive but lasts and lasts and adds quite a bit of flavour to omelet without using a lot. Although you wouldn't do it all the time - you can add any left overs to the omelet like potatoes - dry fried, or onions, mushrooms, peppers, Two eggs, peas and a bit of cheese will give you a good shot of protein.

Def go to shops when they are reducing things - Tescos seem to reduce all day but big reductions come around 6:30 - 7pm, don't be afraid to hang around and wait. search 'frugal queen cornwall' - she does really good recipes for very frugal food.

ReputationRep:
    Also - let us know how you are getting along - best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoingToBurst)
    This means that you don't have to eat a whole loaf of bread yourself within the space of a couple of days, and the leftovers won't go off.

Maybe I want to eat a whole loaf of bread in a couple of hours.. oops, i mean days..

ReputationRep:
    Erm, if you've worked out that you'll have £97 a week in the last term then why not sign up for a student bank account with a large overdraft such as nationwide where you can get £1000 0% overdraft from the get go.

That way (with some careful budgeting) you'll be able to juggle your finances so you spend slightly more in the first 2 terms and slightly less in the last two terms.

Just make sure that before your student account is switched to a normal current account you've paid off your overdraft otherwise you'll end up with the money as debt with an outrageous amount of interest to pay.

ReputationRep:
    Walk everywhere you can, as public transport can really add up

Shop at markets and at supermarkets for their basics range - if you go in the evening you can get some great reduction too

Cook in bulk and use your freezer

Bulk meals up with other cheap ingredients - for example, I make a pizza last three meals by bulking up with mushrooms and spinach on the side (both of which are very cheap at markets)

Drink cheap - it doesn't taste great, but I use the super cheap cider you can get at supermarkets for £2 for 2l, which comes to 10 units which is the perfect amount of alcohol for one prinks session! I know a lot of people who prink on vodka and wine, but when you're paying £4+ for prinks every time you go out it can really add up

Get the coach when you travel home - this one is key. Megabus and National Express offer some great great prices. This year I visited my boyfriend in Liverpol eight times, and from Newcastle the coach only cost around £12 each way (although it took about six hours), and went home to Bradford around five times and only paid around £5 each way. It usually takes around twice as long as the train, but usually less than half the price - undoubedtly worth it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yungaheartz)
    go to the discount section in shops everyday, you know the food that is close to its sell-by date so they seriously lower the price to like 30-40p, maximum a pound

I've done that many times in the past, its amazing what you can find there. they have everything from frozen meals and sandwiches to huge desserts and bottles of coke. people just avoid it out of snobbery or fear that they might become ill just because its not fresh
    but the food has always been fresh for me
    It's the best, I love the reduced sections! I used to work at Tesco til 9pm, and when I finished I would go straight to the reduced section....by 9pm everything was reduced by 90-95%. I would get things for 25p that had originally cost a fiver, it was amazing

ReputationRep:
    you have it easy, i can't afford accommodation on my loan

ReputationRep:
    It's completely possible to live on £17 a week and eat well, just be prepared for the fact you won't be eating out unless it's on the pound menu at McDonald's and you'll need to cook in bulk and freeze meals. You're also probably better off doing a once month big shop to give you more money overall to work with.

You'll probably need to shop from the basic range for most things including hygiene/cleaning products.. But tbh the basic range isn't that bad. Pasta and rice tastes the same and sometimes the sauces taste better. However buying basic spices and tinned tomatoes you could probably make a few portions of Chilli for £5.. Same with curry and spag bol. Chicken soup only costs about £5 and you can usually feed about 7 people from it.

I really wouldn't think about drinking alcohol on your budget unless your willing to drink cider or store brand alcohol and even then I doubt you'll manage it every week.

And as most people have said, hit the reduced section around dinner time in supermarkets. I usually pick up the reduced chicken wings and a small baguette and get an enjoyable meal for no more than 80p.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Batch cook and freeze what you don't eat.

ReputationRep:
    Lots of carbs with little bits of protein - baked potatoes/cheap cheese, weetabix, rice and beans, pasta/scraps of bacon, etc, plus cheapest fruit juice. DONT buy any ready prepared or processed anything, even off the discount shelf. Go to Lidl or Aldi not Sainsburys. Use market stalls. Make sandwiches for Uni lunch dont buy them. Drink the cheapest cider possible. Read everything on this website about budget eating https://cookingonabootstrap.com/

ReputationRep:
    Worked out that i will have £17 a week in my first two terms because of the way my loan comes in (last term i have £97 which is annoying)Dont have any saved up and parents arent rich enough to help me out hardly at all. Obviously have applied for jobs and waiting to hear back on that but for now i have just £17.So basically, how do i do this without dying and maybe still have money for booze??? seriously freaking out right now.
    i spend about £60 a week on food alone lol

ReputationRep:
    But seriously try doing some tutoring, you can quite easily make £15 an hour as a private tutor! I've been doing it through uni for the last 2 years, allows me to splash out on lunches at uni

ReputationRep:
    For once I'm thankful my parents are poor as I'll have like £70 per week yay

But in all seriousness you need to plan !! Tesco's sell a box of 24 weetabix for like £1.50 so that's like a months breakfast sorted, and fresh fruit and veg is so cheap like 7p for a carrot so I'm sure you'll survive as long as you stick to the staples like pasta, potatoes, rice and for protein you should get something like fish fingers or cheap chicken nuggets to feel you up !

If you're desperate for cash and can't get a job perhaps consider selling some of your things on eBay, or tutor GCSE maths for easy cash.

Also many unis will pay students to act as ambassors for their open days so sign up for that for extra cash and I'm sure you'll soon be living off more than £17 a week !

ReputationRep:
    Get a student bank account. It has an overdraft of between £500-£1000. That should be enough to cover you in the first couple of weeks until the rest Of your loan comes through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by langlitz)
    But seriously try doing some tutoring, you can quite easily make £15 an hour as a private tutor! I've been doing it through uni for the last 2 years, allows me to splash out on lunches at uni
    What subjects do you tutor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoingToBurst)
    Breakfast

A 1.5kg bag of oats costs £1.50 in sainsburys. That is enough for 50 breakfasts (at 30g of oats each). I used to always use almond milk in my oats, but I ran out recently and was too lazy to go to the shop so I just used water and discovered it tastes exactly the same, so don't bother with milk for your oats. A 340g jar of honey in sainsburys is £1.40.
    Possibly one of the best forum posts I've ever read.

ReputationRep:
    damn. maybe you should sell some crap on ebay or if ur a girl u can do some webcam shows teehee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Convex)
    I can live off £5 a week confortable.

As long as you have a source of water (tap), 2kg of rice (£3), and sauce (£2), then you're fine. You can't even eat that much rice anyway.
    Cmon this isn't Uganda, that's an incredibly poor diet. Having no money will be the least of your worries if you live like that for too long

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Convex)
    I can live off £5 a week confortable.

As long as you have a source of water (tap), 2kg of rice (£3), and sauce (£2), then you're fine. You can't even eat that much rice anyway.
    This is a terrible diet

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.