Follow me on my gap year adventure (aka why does my title suck)

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that , he's doing AQA , I'm embarrassed to say he got a E in AS level in the module, don't think any of it sunk in. He's have extra lessons in it now to resit, hope he actually gets it second time round.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mumofson)
    Thanks for that , he's doing AQA , I'm embarrassed to say he got a E in AS level in the module, don't think any of it sunk in. He's have extra lessons in it now to resit, hope he actually gets it second time round.
    ah i see, sorry i cant be of much help then well it is one of the less interesting modules ill say that much

There's not much he can do with the textbook other than just not rush it and learn the content properly, I dont even mean memorize all the methods or anything yet, just make sure he understands how the methods work (at least somewhat) and how to use them. Honestly I've never been a fan of doing past papers with the textbook open but maybe he could try it for the first few he does, itll mean he wont have to focus on memorizing content and can instead put his whole attention into the actual questions.

Also make sure when he starts doing past papers that he actually reviews them after he does them. Does he do a paper and then throw in into the corner of his room never to be looked at again? :laugh: He'll learn much more (and improve his marks much more) if he takes 1.5-2 hours to do and mark his paper, then take a break and come back and sit for another 30 minutes and review the paper. Make sure he sees where he went wrong, if he keeps losing marks on the same question maybe he should redo the chapter in the book.

Hopefully this helps him out Hes more than welcome to ask any questions he has to me if he needs help with something. I'm sure edexcel and AQA are quite similar in content

ReputationRep:
    M.A.T. 2012

Lost my first multiple choice marks today . Paper was actually quite nice, I had quite a smooth run through

Score: 91/100

Q1: 36/40, part G got me I had to just guess and guessed wrong. Need to read the mark scheme and try understand how to actually do it

Q2: 15/15, this was one of the more straightforward Q2s so far imo. Part iv) took some thinking but it wasnt too bad.

Q3: 14/15, just took one mark off for iii) as my method wasn't as nice as the mark schemes and I didnt feel 100% about it, although I got to the answer in the end.

Q5: 11/15, part vi). I got the relationship between consecutive points just fine but somehow messed up the (x8,y8) and (x8k, y8k) part :dontknow: gave myself 2/6 for the last part

Q6: 15/15, this seems a little too straightforward. probably about 10 mins work for 15 marks.

ReputationRep:
    hi did you start coding with Java ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmansouf)
    hi did you start coding with Java ?
    Yea im working through a book called "Head first java" atm. Are you learning how to code as well, or planning to study something computer related at uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanJ42)
    Yea im working through a book called "Head first java" atm. Are you learning how to code as well, or planning to study something computer related at uni?
    i want to study computer science with maths or compsci but also engineering
    I was thinking to do engineering as Meng at OXford or Cambridge due to the unique strucutural as I will be able to get a broad experience in all parts of engineering and then do Masters in compsci like focuing in Algorithms and robotics and stuff
    but i tried to do phyton and was very frustrated with the work and execrises and why it behaves weirdly. When i ask on forums people has different views that contradicts the author but now i am going to start over again

ReputationRep:
    i want to study computer science with maths or compsci but also engineering
    I was thinking to do engineering as Meng at OXford or Cambridge due to the unique strucutural as I will be able to get a broad experience in all parts of engineering and then do Masters in compsci like focuing in Algorithms and robotics and stuff
    but i tried to do phyton and was very frustrated with the work and execrises and why it behaves weirdly. When i ask on forums people has different views that contradicts the author but now i am going to start over again
    ah cool, im applying for maths and computer science. I looked at software engineering and even just computer science but i like maths too much to stop studying it :laugh:

Ah i see, are you applying to universities this year? you should just look at the course structure of everything and see what you like best. That's how I decided to apply to Oxford over Cambridge this year.

Yea I done some Java in AS so I wasn't completely new to it but there seems to be a lot of learning involved. I'm liking this book though because they break it all up for you and teach it bit by bit. If you can find a good book on python Id recommend doing that, if you like that style of learning that is. I quite enjoy learning in itself so I don't tend to get frustrated that I know so little about coding yet. Just enjoy learning it for now and it'll feel super good once you can write programs of your own.

ReputationRep:
    ah cool, im applying for maths and computer science. I looked at software engineering and even just computer science but i like maths too much to stop studying it :laugh:

Ah i see, are you applying to universities this year? you should just look at the course structure of everything and see what you like best. That's how I decided to apply to Oxford over Cambridge this year.

Yea I done some Java in AS so I wasn't completely new to it but there seems to be a lot of learning involved. I'm liking this book though because they break it all up for you and teach it bit by bit. If you can find a good book on python Id recommend doing that, if you like that style of learning that is. I quite enjoy learning in itself so I don't tend to get frustrated that I know so little about coding yet. Just enjoy learning it for now and it'll feel super good once you can write programs of your own.
    yh thank no i have to redo my alevel

i enjoy learning but i kind of feel like i do not progress if i do not do all the exercises
    Am i wrong?
    Do you complete all the exercises?

ReputationRep:
    yh thank no i have to redo my alevel

i enjoy learning but i kind of feel like i do not progress if i do not do all the exercises
    Am i wrong?
    Do you complete all the exercises?
    what are you doing for alevel?

i see what you mean, yea exercises are good to ensure you actually understand the content

In the java book or during my alevels? with Java I do most of them (unless its a word-search or something) although only get about 60% right, but then I learn from solutions which is good. For alevel I did at most half of the questions as they got repetitive, I done enough to make sure I knew what i was doing but didnt do them just for the sake of it. Imo thats a waste of time

ReputationRep:
    what are you doing for alevel?

i see what you mean, yea exercises are good to ensure you actually understand the content

In the java book or during my alevels? with Java I do most of them (unless its a word-search or something) although only get about 60% right, but then I learn from solutions which is good. For alevel I did at most half of the questions as they got repetitive, I done enough to make sure I knew what i was doing but didnt do them just for the sake of it. Imo thats a waste of time
    i did a levels but im redoing them to do stem alevels Maths, further maths and Physics alevel
    did you do computer science a-level?
    does computer science a-level give you a good ground in programming?

ReputationRep:
    i did a levels but im redoing them to do stem alevels Maths, further maths and Physics alevel
    did you do computer science a-level?
    does computer science a-level give you a good ground in programming?
    ah i done those three aswell, a nice choice

I done computing AS but I dropped it because it was very mickey-mouse imo, we barely done anything and didnt really get taught anything.

I learnt some of the basics in Java but not really a good grounding, just kind of an introduction to it. I've learnt more Java since the start of summer than I learnt in AS i think, but I still dont know much.

Computing at alevel isnt needed for Uni computer science or any related courses, its usually just maths they look for.

ReputationRep:
    ah i done those three aswell, a nice choice

I done computing AS but I dropped it because it was very mickey-mouse imo, we barely done anything and didnt really get taught anything.

I learnt some of the basics in Java but not really a good grounding, just kind of an introduction to it. I've learnt more Java since the start of summer than I learnt in AS i think, but I still dont know much.

Computing at alevel isnt needed for Uni computer science or any related courses, its usually just maths they look for.
    thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    S4 June 2009

Score: 69/75.

Pretty happy with this I thought it went much worse. Lost marks in the 1/2 mark writings questions as well as a silly mistake with finding probability with a discrete distribution. I don't really care much about getting perfect scores in AFM so high 60s or better (ie 90ums+) is fine.

ReputationRep:
    20/10/2016

I have been extremely lazy about updating this, whoops.

So I got a job working in a shop, at long last :elefant:. I started last Monday.

Since my last update I have done an S4 past paper, a good chuck of Java work, some keyboard and MAT papers up to 2013 (although I still need to mark the 2013 one).

This week I will be working in the shop more, Ill try get MAT 2015 done, ill do more java and keyboard work and also head up to Queens Belfast for the Halloween parties towards the end of the week and that will pretty much see October come to an end.

ReputationRep:
    I have been so lazy with this, whoops.

So done the MAT on wednesday past. I thought it went average, made some really silly mistakes (probably 10 marks worth of them) but I still think ill get around high 60s/low 70s which is less than I wanted but oh well :dontknow:. Might get an interview but since Im a gap year student I might not, even if I get an interview chances seem slim for an offer unless I really impress

Got a job though which is good, it at least gives me something to do need to start D2 soon.

Done quite a lot of Java but not so much keyboard.

Not much to do now but wait to hear back from Oxford at the end of November

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.