English applicants 2017

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dorababy1995)
    Hi all,

A mature EU student here! I'm very happy to have found this thread!

I'm applying to Cambridge, Durham, UCL and Exeter.
    Hey
    What country u applying from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhaenys10)
    Hey
    What country u applying from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello from a neighbouring country! By the way, it's Hungary. I see we have choices in common!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlemix012)
    Wow you sound so smart! I made this thread because there weren't any like it on the whole of TSR haha

Nah, I'm a Cambridge re-applicant!

I've always wanted to study English, so if I do get into any of these unis it'll be a dream come true! By the way, this thread is a great idea because it gives us English majors more opportunity to "meet" future course mates in advance. The main uni threads are usually dominated by maths/science applicants, which doesn't mean we're not out there as well!

literaturista

ziggyystardust

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who has already sent in the UCAS application?

ReputationRep:
    Yes😂ox or cambridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I'm a Cambridge re-applicant!

I've always wanted to study English, so if I do get into any of these unis it'll be a dream come true! By the way, this thread is a great idea because it gives us English majors more opportunity to "meet" future course mates in advance. The main uni threads are usually dominated by maths/science applicants, which doesn't mean we're out there as well!

literaturista

ziggyystardust t
    Yeah I know there's a lot of people on this site that do maths and science haha

ReputationRep:
    And here's me only halfway through my personal statement

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know there's a lot of people on this site that do maths and science haha

Sorry - I meant to write "which doesn't mean we're not out there as well"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhaenys10)
    Yes😂ox or cambridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As I said, Cambridge and 3 other unis. What are your choices btw?

ReputationRep:
    And here's me only halfway through my personal statement

Don't worry - I'm re-applying for a reason (and not just because I got rejected by Cambridge). Last time I applied on February 29th [the 4 "mature" Cambridge colleges accept applications until March 1st]. By the time I got all my decisions - 4 offers and a rejection from Cambridge (this was in May!), all the deadlines for scholarship/bursary applications at my 4 other choices had passed so I had to withdraw my whole application. Oh, and guess when I finally managed to finish my personal statement? On the day I sent in my application!

All I needed to do now was edit my statement, ask for a new reference and send in my application (I started filling in the UCAS form as soon as "apply 2017" became available).

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry - I'm re-applying for a reason (and not just because I got rejected by Cambridge). Last time I applied on February 29th [the 4 "mature" Cambridge colleges accept applications until March 1st]. By the time I got all my decisions - 4 offers and a rejection from Cambridge (this was in May!), all the deadlines for scholarship/bursary applications at my 4 other choices had passed so I had to withdraw my whole application. Oh, and guess when I finally managed to finish my personal statement? On the day I sent in my application!

All I needed to do now was edit my statement, ask for a new reference and send in my application (I started filling in the UCAS form as soon as "apply 2017" became available).
    I'm still struggling on deciding where I want to go haha

ReputationRep:
    I'm still struggling on deciding where I want to go haha

Where are you thinking of applying?

ReputationRep:
    Where are you thinking of applying?
    Well I'm thinking of Newcastle, Leeds, Southampton, Essex and Aston! But there's a load others too such as Bedfordshire as a back up choice because they want 80 points which is two B's

ReputationRep:
    Sent mine in today!

ReputationRep:
    I don't really belong here because I'm doing Linguistics, not English Language, but hello guys and good luck with applications! So happy to see a ton of people interested in Lang and Linguistics eek! Just sent off the application to Cambridge, York, UCL, Edinburgh, and Newcastle... I'm so nervous but excited

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue2337)
    I don't really belong here because I'm doing Linguistics, not English Language, but hello guys and good luck with applications! So happy to see a ton of people interested in Lang and Linguistics eek! Just sent off the application to Cambridge, York, UCL, Edinburgh, and Newcastle... I'm so nervous but excited

Although I did consider linguistics, I've applied for English literature, my true passion, which doesn't mean I don't love linguistics too!

ReputationRep:
    Well you do belong because I may do just linguistics! Plus it's technically English, make yourself welcome here

ReputationRep:
    Although I did consider linguistics, I've applied for English literature, my true passion, which doesn't mean I don't love linguistics too!
    Well you do belong because I may do just linguistics! Plus it's technically English, make yourself welcome here
    You guys are so welcoming, thank you! Well I'll stick around here, you'll be sick of me and all my questions soon!!

ReputationRep:
    You guys are so welcoming, thank you! Well I'll stick around here, you'll be sick of me and all my questions soon!!
    I started this thread so I'll have more questions than you hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brxvebird)
    Absolutely! I'll send it over now.
    Could you pm me the email as well?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.