Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are Indians so intelligent? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Because they manage their time properly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by champ_mc99)
    Their parents come from India and are stuck in unskilled labour. They want their children to succeed for the fear they'll struggle too.
    This isn't exclusive to Indians though.

ReputationRep:
    Education is a big thing in India for some reason. I guess they just think they have more to prove seen as their country is usually considered a third world country

ReputationRep:
    Indians are they only group of people who still follow a traditional reality based religion instead of an ideological SJW type religion (Christianity/Buddhism/Islam).

This trains our brains from an early age to think through a prism of "What is" rather than "What ought to be."

This gives us many advantages, but one of the key disadvantages seems to be that the common Indian loses that edge in creativity that Christians may, for example, have to some extent more.

That is, when you have to justify something as self contradictory as Christianity to yourself, you must think pretty creatively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScienceFantatic)
    What if you don't like the suitors or find someone else?

Also are you a Muslim? If so, are you allowed to date?
    Please don't think all Indian are like that. My parents never pressured me, they just had a can do attitude I guess, never say never etc. Yet they aren't strict and aren't planning an arranged marriage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4EX)
    But at school, they know ALL the facts. Like even the ones that aren't in the syllabus. And they're always getting 100 UMS marks in everything. Im sure they are really really good at exams. But I think they lack creativity and social skills.
    In India, applying for universities is so tough that sometimes you won't get a place if your average % is less than 99.5%...
    Yep, it goes down to the decimal. This is bound to happen though. It's come to the point where literally everyone I know is doing medicine or engineering; bound to cause over subscription and extreme competition. Most students can't afford to get less than 100 UMS marks (in all their papers), and even then a place at a good uni isn't secured for them. I guess now they're just used to these circumstances and work accordingly, wherever they may be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4EX)
    It is because they're always revising?
    I know.
    Particularly the Apaches

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4EX)
    It is because they're always revising?
    We get pushed hard. In India, kids have to work a lot harder from a much younger age, there's so much competition there it's crazy.

Doctors and engineers are basically the best thing ever too for a lot of Indian families and to get into those careers you need good grades. Those are also well paying careers, and I know from first hand that Indian parents a lot of the time want their kids to do the safest options. You're surrounded by the extremely rich and extremely poor all the time in India so it's understandable.

The nagging can get annoying, but I love how much my parents care about my education ( even though I'm not pursuing the sciences)

A lot of Indian families are more chill too, there's a spectrum

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.