Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    psychology as long as i get the ABB offer! :-( i really cant wait now, i only live about 45 mins out of manchester but its such a great city that i didnt wanna go anywhere else!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenna999)
    Just out of interest, when are people moving in? The Saturday 18th or Sunday 19th? Or even the Thursday if your halls let you in then? It's a bit tricky, cos if you decide to go for the saturday but everyone else in your flat is moving in on the Sunday, you'll be lonely. And if you decide to move in on the sunday but everyone else moved in the day before, everyone will know each other and you wont....
    Regards moving in I can only tell you my experience. I was in Richmond Park last year and I arrived on the Sunday. 3 people arrived on the Saturday and went out that night, but those of us who arrived on Sunday felt far from left out and after one evening together any slight division there may have been between early arrivers and late arrivers was forgotten.

Saying all that, just don't arrive late...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenna999)
    Hi all
    How was France elamka? Where did you go? It wouldn't be the end of the world if you had to move in on Sunday would it? Quite a lot of people do, I think.

Not long now.... 6 and a half weeks, in fact! Aaaargh!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Helloooo, having a day off. Thought i would get up at 11 and then just do nothing. The reality is that i got up at 7 and by lunchtime didn't know what to do with myself. Got so bored!! So started painting the staircase. It used to be white and now its kind of plum colour. My bf is probably going to kill me when he gets home so if you don't hear from me again you know what happened.
    France was great, bought lots of **** and lots of wine, like 90 bottles!!
    And also got a textbook last night. Only 426 pages. Tried to read it but it was impossible. Why on earth would anybody want to study sociology?! Waste of time!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Thought I'd join your conversation if that's okay! I'm going to Manchester in September too to study politics and modern history. I'm in Whitworth Park Halls but I think I'm going up on the Friday :eek: Apparantly there's a big rugby match on the Friday and my dad wants to go to it as his team is playing. Damn. And so his poor little daughter is going to have to sit all alone drowning in her sorrows for a night!
    I figure though Whitworth park is so big someone else will surely move in on the Friday. Also it's good because it gives me a chance to get myself sorted so by the time everyone else arrives I can just chill and get to know them.
    So are most of you guys gap year students then?
    I've just got back from 7 months in Ghana doing voluntary work. Have been desperately searching for a job but no luck. Looks like I'll be starting uni already in debt... Eek.
    Love Katrina

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La_la_la)
    Hi,
    Thought I'd join your conversation if that's okay! I'm going to Manchester in September too to study politics and modern history. I'm in Whitworth Park Halls but I think I'm going up on the Friday :eek: Apparantly there's a big rugby match on the Friday and my dad wants to go to it as his team is playing. Damn. And so his poor little daughter is going to have to sit all alone drowning in her sorrows for a night!
    I figure though Whitworth park is so big someone else will surely move in on the Friday. Also it's good because it gives me a chance to get myself sorted so by the time everyone else arrives I can just chill and get to know them.
    I've just got back from 7 months in Ghana doing voluntary work. Have been desperately searching for a job but no luck. Looks like I'll be starting uni already in debt... Eek.
    Love Katrina

Hey! Yeah I've been on a gap year, I've worked the whole year though. Not saved that much!

With 1100 students in Whitworth Park you surely wont be alone, but the flats are self contained so if there's no-one in your flat then you might have to go knocking on some doors! Have fun!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Love Katrina
    I'm sure you've checked but are you allowed to move in on the Friday? At Richmond Park last year, I think we couldn't move in before the Saturday.

Yea there'll be people around. Just head to the onsite bar which is huge... I'm sure there'll be some people there. Fingers crossed you've got a refurbished block!

Ed

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Thorncliffe house and I'd guess it's not refurbished as there's no ethernet connection. Does that mean it'll be a dump? Lol.
    As for moving in on Friday I'm sure thats what it said in the hankbook... but I'll check... thanx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    I'm sure you've checked but are you allowed to move in on the Friday? At Richmond Park last year, I think we couldn't move in before the Saturday.

Ed
    Sooooooo glad you said that... it's a little confusing so I'll prob phone to check but my general Whitworth park info says you can move in on Friday unless your in Garstang House whereas my contract for Thorncliffe doesn't start until the 18th which is the Saturday!!!!!!!!
    Looks like my dad will have to miss his rugby! Hehehe.

ReputationRep:
    Sooooooo glad you said that... it's a little confusing so I'll prob phone to check but my general Whitworth park info says you can move in on Friday unless your in Garstang House whereas my contract for Thorncliffe doesn't start until the 18th which is the Saturday!!!!!!!!
    Looks like my dad will have to miss his rugby! Hehehe.
    Glad to be of help! Garstang was minging last year, it was one of the blocks that hadn't been refurbished. I'd presume it would have been done this summer though!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Thorncliffe house and I'd guess it's not refurbished as there's no ethernet connection. Does that mean it'll be a dump? Lol.
    As for moving in on Friday I'm sure thats what it said in the hankbook... but I'll check... thanx
    Well... all I know it Garstang last year was one of the few blocks that hadn't been refurbished. I believe the only modifications made during the refurb are in the bedrooms - eg they get nicer furniture and a new carpet, bed etc. The rest of the flat stays the same. Whilst I wouldn't have called Garstang a dump, I was always relieved to be going back to Richmond Park.

One bad things about the old Garstang... the beds were very very very narrow.

ReputationRep:
    Garstang has been refurbished and thats why people there can't move in until the Sunday in case the rooms aren't ready.
    I wish I knew more about Throncliffe house. Knowing my luck it's prob the only house that hasn't been refurbished!! We will see! Not long now... I'm getting quite excited/afraid!
    It doesn't help that (dare I admit it) I haven't actually visited Manchester!! Eek. I visited loads of uni's the first time I applied and none of them seemed the right one then I've been in Ghana for 7 months so missed all the open days this year. I also had to make my descision from Ghana and just went with my gut feeling! It's so unlike me to be so... mmm.... not sure what the word would be... stupid.. perhaps?!! Lol.
    Oh well I've only heard good things about Manchester and as people keep saying.. you'll be happy where ever you end up!
    x

ReputationRep:
    Garstang has been refurbished and thats why people there can't move in until the Sunday in case the rooms aren't ready.
    I wish I knew more about Throncliffe house. Knowing my luck it's prob the only house that hasn't been refurbished!! We will see! Not long now... I'm getting quite excited/afraid!
    It doesn't help that (dare I admit it) I haven't actually visited Manchester!! Eek. I visited loads of uni's the first time I applied and none of them seemed the right one then I've been in Ghana for 7 months so missed all the open days this year. I also had to make my descision from Ghana and just went with my gut feeling! It's so unlike me to be so... mmm.... not sure what the word would be... stupid.. perhaps?!! Lol.
    Oh well I've only heard good things about Manchester and as people keep saying.. you'll be happy where ever you end up!
    x
    Don't worry. I really can't see how someone couldn't enjoy Manchester unless they just dislike people. The city rocks. And the university is everything I wanted from a university.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya everyone, I thought I would butt in your conversation since I'll be going to Manchester (hopefully) in September also. I'll be on the IBFE course aswell.

All you people with unconditional's are getting me really jealous here - I'm dying to know where I'm gonna be staying!! All the residences I applied for were (I think) in Fallowfield. I was worried about having to get a bus to lectures everyday becoming a bit of a pain aswell, especially when there's accomodation within easy walking distance. But after questioning tons of other students living in Fallowfield - including UKL"s very own Tednol (thanks again for that!!) they reassured me that the bus service is great.

I've never been away from home before, I don't think I'll get dead homesick or anything, I'm more worried that I'll die of starvation (right now I can't even boil an egg!) since two of the three halls I applied for were self catered - it seemed like a good idea at the time! I was supposed to get practising throughout the summer but never mind - pot noodles and beans on toast here I come!

Tednol, how long after results was it that you found out you were gonna be at Richmond Park? I got a letter from the uni saying they would let me know before something like the 10th of Sep and I was just wondering whether I can expect to hear something earlier, like nearer results time (providing I get the results, of course!)

Oh and Elamka what A levels did you study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstenb)
    psychology as long as i get the ABB offer! :-( i really cant wait now, i only live about 45 mins out of manchester but its such a great city that i didnt wanna go anywhere else!

you are really lucky you got a place in manchester for a psychology course.
    Im dieing right now for a place there. Dont want to go to stupid Man Met.

ReputationRep:
    Don't go then. No one is forcing you. Take a year out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stan G)
    Don't go then. No one is forcing you. Take a year out.

But I really dont wnat to waste the year, Ive been looking for a job all summer and havent found one. So I doubt Im gonna find one, also I havent got any money to travel, and I have no idea how to volunteer and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Then knuckle down and get on with it at Manchester Met. You make it sound like spending a year in Alcatraz.

ReputationRep:
    Then knuckle down and get on with it at Manchester Met. You make it sound like spending a year in Alcatraz.

Well I did ask In a previous thraed, if Man Met was any good, and everyone that replied had no postive reply about it. That has really put me off it.

ReputationRep:
    Well I've been there a year and I've enjoyed it. You get out of it what you put in in my experience.

ReputationRep:
    Well I've been there a year and I've enjoyed it. You get out of it what you put in in my experience.

Thanks for that Adam, ure the first who has said that. If you dont mind me asking, what course are you doing there? Do they teach it well?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.