Nursing Applicants 2017

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I agree about the pressure on places, I can't see space for many more nursing students here in the South west either.
    I think the 'extra places' that the conservatives promised was just an excuse to take away the bursaries and make nurses pay their own tuition. I bet a nurses salary will not go up either despite this increased student debt. It's esentially a pay cut for nurses!

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Southbank Uni doing Adult Nursing, they have told us that the main constraint over number of students that they can accept is the availability of places within the hospitals for the students placements. If there are only 100 placements at the hospital then the university can only take on 100 students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smile88egc)
    Now that nursing bursaries have been cut to increase the number of uni places, do you think that it will be less competative for places this year?
    Had anyone you know been put off applying by the fact you will have to pay tuition fees now as soon as you graduate?
    I'm still debating whether we're better off, in my point of view. Sure we get more money to help us out during our studies but I'm not sure whether it's better off long term. My plan is to work in the NHS which as we all know isn't in the best place at the moment in terms of staff and pay. I know we don't have to pay off the student loan as it gets wiped but and even then it's a small percentage of our wages being used to pay it off but I still think removal of the bursary is just as financially unstable as the bursary.
    That's only my view anyway, I could only wish that I was more optimistic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't get wiped until 30 years after you graduate, that's a very long time to be paying for your university education!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyseden)
    I spoke to my psych teacher about it yesterday, and she did say that work experience really would help my application. She said even working in care homes would be enough experience - more specifically dementia and learning disability for me as these link into mental health (not sure what branch you're doing). I suppose every little helps!
    I got a place for January 2017 with no experience at all!!! I am a mum and worked as a TA! So if you really want it you will prove it at the interview.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone,

Sent off my application on 11/10/2016 and have had three acknowledgement emails as of yet! Good Luck to everyone!

Branch: Adult Nursing
    Level: Undergraduate
    Uni(s) applying to: Nottingham, Sheffield Hallam, Northampton, Leeds and Anglia Ruskin (Peterborough)
    Previous experience: Have done three weeks work placement in a community hospital, 18 months in a residential home with the majority of individuals with dementia, two weeks on another ward in a different hospital and I work in a local GP's.

Fingers crossed I guess though, does anyone know roughly how long it takes to hear anything back? First year applying

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! I'm a first year nursing student now, last year I was in your position since I applied around the same time last year. Be warned that especially with nursing universities are quick to send out acknowledgements but when it comes to interviews I never heard back from anywhere until mid January and the last one I heard about an interview was the end of march (!) so they do like to take their time! Don't be disheartened though, they will get back to you eventually haha! Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Branch: Adult
    Level: Undergraduate
    Uni(s) applying to: Cardiff (March and September entry), Southampton (Adult & Child Dual Field), Edinburgh & Manchester
    Previous experience: Have completed my first year of Pharmacy and decided I wanted more patient contact than I would be getting in my career! Had work experience in A&E for two weeks and have just started work as a care assistant in a care home. Also volunteering with St John's and at my local hospital I'm definitely keeping busy this year!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    Branch - Adult
    Level - Undergraduate
    Uni - Uni of South Wales
    Experience - Worked as a health care assistant for a few months, I have already completed a degree so have experience with the work load and worked at the Uni for a few months too dealing with individuals from a diverse rang of backgrounds.

Good luck to everyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BA1995)
    Hi!
    Branch - Adult
    Level - Undergraduate
    Uni - Uni of South Wales
    Experience - Worked as a health care assistant for a few months, I have already completed a degree so have experience with the work load and worked at the Uni for a few months too dealing with individuals from a diverse rang of backgrounds.

Good luck to everyone!
    I've found the studying a lot harder then when I did my first degree. I know that each Uni is different, but we have c18 hours of lectures per week, about c8 hours of pre and post lecture reading, and for those who haven't studied biology before we have to prepare for a weekly biology test to get us up to A level standard in one year. On top of that we have our written assignments and presentations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah Green;[url="tel:68189140")
    68189140[/url]]I've found the studying a lot harder then when I did my first degree. I know that each Uni is different, but we have c18 hours of lectures per week, about c8 hours of pre and post lecture reading, and for those who haven't studied biology before we have to prepare for a weekly biology test to get us up to A level standard in one year. On top of that we have our written assignments and presentations.
    I'm definitely prepared for a heavier work load! 3 of my friends are newly qualified so I've been asking them loads about the course and what to expect!

ReputationRep:
    Hi all.
    Ive applied for 2017 entry to Adult Nursing at Keele, BCU, Staffs, Manchester and Wolverhampton. Had an interview invite within 4 hours from Wolves and acknowledgement from Uni of Manchester but wasnt expecting anything for weeks.
    Anyone else had interview invites yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barkergirl)
    Hi all.
    Ive applied for 2017 entry to Adult Nursing at Keele, BCU, Staffs, Manchester and Wolverhampton. Had an interview invite within 4 hours from Wolves and acknowledgement from Uni of Manchester but wasnt expecting anything for weeks.
    Anyone else had interview invites yet?
    I put application in about 6 weeks ago and iv applied to uni of manchester but no acknowledgement :/
    Only response i have had is an acknowledgement from york

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnboi1985)
    I put application in about 6 weeks ago and iv applied to uni of manchester but no acknowledgement :/
    Only response i have had is an acknowledgement from york
    Oh right. I just assumed it was an automatic response from Manchester. Perhaps they weren't doing that when u applied. I imagine it's cos they're busier.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya!!
    Branch: Adult
    Level: I'm currently studying A-Levels in Biology and Applied Science, and I have 2 A-Levels already in Spanish and Psychology.
    Uni(s) applying to: Surrey, Oxford Brookes, Manchester, Portsmouth, Hertfordshire
    Previous experience: 2 years weekly volunteering on a post-natal ward, and a week volunteering in a school for children with severe and profound disabilities.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya

Branch: Mental Health
    Current level: conditional offer @ BCU starting Jan 2017
    Previous experience: Worked with adults and children with learning disabilities, worked in a mental health hospital in acute, eating disorder and complex care

Cant wait for the challenge!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello to all my fellow applicants!

Branch: Child (Notts, KCL and Soton) and Adult (York and Sheffield)
    Level: PGDip, going straight into it after I graduate from my BA (Hons) in History & Archaeology
    Previous experience: volunteer in a hospice, private tutor to children with special educational needs and currently registered in the Bank as a HCAS (as well as receiving training to work in maternity wards)

ReputationRep:
    Received an interview for Northampton Uni at 6:45 this morning!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Recieved an interview for teesside later this month, and a request for an academic reference from manchester

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Wake up and smell the...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.