Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What makes medics so greedy? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Afsanax)
    for getting the highest grades in the country (you need a's and a* in gcse and A*AA at a levels 6 years+ at uni, you'd think the pay would be better than 20k a year lol

Doctors get A*'s and A's at GCSE, you also need A*AA at a levels to get into medical school. Think about all that hard work. That being said, you have to actually have to get an offer for a medical school first, which is highly competitive. I've heard that for every one place theres 60 applicants for the best uni's. All that hard work doesn't finish there, you then do around 4-6 years studying at uni. Then if you want to be a consultant, you need to study EVEN longer. And then, after ALL THAT, do you finally start working but only earn 22k a year LOL no wonder they're complaining. They have a considerably low starting pay considering how long it takes to become a doctor.
    Eh? Think you got the process mixed up here. Drs start on 22k and work up to consultant, not the other way round.

ReputationRep:
    This is how people behave when they get rejected from med school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    could have sworn most gps get 60-90k (~100k in london), likewise consultants. but if your on about those in 1st 3 years of gp training than more or less ballpark figure.

If you want an easy job with £50/hour be an optometrist.
    why on google is the average optometrist salary so low?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by RomeoSantos)
    why on google is the average optometrist salary so low?
    did you check uk or us. also nhs or private (specsavers, vision express, asda, tesco, boots)?. in terms of nhs salary, their pay isnt that great. locum optometrists for private companies however I know for a fact get paid up to £40-50/hour and can easily bring home £300-350/day. (I know this because I have friends who are optmoetrists and also know store managers for boots and asdas in the UK and they divulge this info).

Spoiler:
    Show
    that being said, community pharmacists in some parts of the country earn shocking (bad) wages (£10-14/ hour ) and a lot of community pharmacists have to work much longer hours with no/extremely limited lunch breaks and have to generally deal with more patients on a daily basis (doctors complain about 60 patients a day, try trying to counsel / check up on up to 300 patients a day whilst trying to act as a shopkeeper and managing staff and accounts more or less simulatenously)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 41b)
    medics would become unemployed if their patients were cured. their job is to keep people sick enough to need their services and products frequently and not be cured

as you would expect such a profession would attract the worst people in society

I know a hell of a lot of doctors and 95% of them are soulless money grubbers or outright sociopaths. 95% of the medics on this forum would fit that description

There are still some good doctors but mainstream medicine is a killing field
    *Replace medics and doctors with pharmaceutical companies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 41b)
    Medics go in to treat the sick, not cure them. Like welfare: give a man fish for a year and when you stop he'll starve to death; teach him how to fish and he'll live forever.

Give a man a treatment and he'll feel better and come back to you for more treatment later, because you never cured what was wrong with him (by design) and now he's hooked on your drugs that cause cascading side effects that need more drugs to treat; teach a man how to feed himself properly, and take natural herbs, and supplement with minerals, and eat organic food, and he'll never need to go to the doctor in the first place.

The logic is really simple: if everyone was healthy tomorrow, all non-emergency doctors would become unemployed. Whether it seems too cruel to be true to you or not is kind of irrelevant; doctors benefit by keeping people sick and dependent, and the people who go into such jobs are likely to be bad people.

Ps. Lol at the 16 year old trying to argue. Come back when you can vote.
    I suggest you avoid all doctors then. Stay at home, don't go out....I bet you will never get sick then since its their fault? Also, all these newborns born ill...I bet doctors break into pregnant women houses and infect them with viruses and stuff so they can have more work?
    Damn, 2 years in med school and we still *only* learn how to cure people. I guess something must be wrong with Nottingham for not teaching us on how to spread diseases. Almost as if the very first skill you learn wasn't how to wash your hands properly so you avoid spreading bacteria and viruses.

ReputationRep:
    LOL 5 days strike WTF

GREEDY DOCTORS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4EX)
    LOL 5 days strike WTF

GREEDY DOCTORS
    Feel like I'm reading the Daily Mail comments section. Stay mad.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.