Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FailedMyMocks)
    Maths W/Finance or Computer Sci..

cool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p29)
    cool
    Anyway, Stay on top of your chemistry. It was the hardest A level I did and I even took Further Maths...

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FailedMyMocks)
    Anyway, Stay on top of your chemistry. It was the hardest A level I did and I even took Further Maths...

Good Luck!
    im taking further maths aswell, fml

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p29)
    im taking further maths aswell, fml
    Woo!
    • :clap2:

ReputationRep:
    This is all about moles, molar mass and mass of element. Something like that lool, just revise that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1010marina)
    Kind of, but backwards:

All the mass numbers on the periodic table are in relation to carbon 12. They're all relative numbers, which means, they're unitless - if carbon 12 weighs 12 x (x could be grams, kilograms, etc.) then your hydrogen atom will weigh only 1 x. It's a relationship.

Avogadros number makes calculations using this fact easier. We measure in grams so we need a way of finding out how much 'stuff' is in a gram.
    By relation do you mean ratios?

ReputationRep:
    A mole is literally a unit of measurement, like a kilogram or a metre.

One mole of any element compound or substance always has a specific number of those particles. That specific number is a constant known as avogadros constant. 6.022 x 10 23

A mole can have a different mass dependent on the element. Since relative atomic mass is the average weighted mass of a substance relative to 1/12 of the mass of carbon-12, a mole of carbon 12 weighs exactly 12 g and so we can deduce that the mass of a mole of a substance is round about the same number of grams as its relative molecular mass.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.