Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should I be eating excess or less calories than my requirement watch

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by TheStudentPower2)
    For reasons such as..?

Highly respected researchers such as Lyle McDonald, Eric Helms, and Alan Aragon have all supported higher levels of protein, particularly in the caloric deficits.
    You've not read much of Alan Aragorn or the others claiming that. There's a few papers out there detailing all the evidence that the maximum for athletes (i.e. people who dedicate there lives to sport) show no better performance after 0.8g/lb, Alan (idk about the others) pulled the recommendation of 1g/lb as his recommendation for no reason what so ever.

It stands to reason you don't need as much protein as a professional athelete, hence what I wrote is what is recommended for your standard person lifting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr T 999)
    The Student power 2?? :hmmmm2: Did you get banned or something lol :teehee:

Why would your protein in your body be used first? What about fat stored in your body won't that be used instead to give your body energy.

Your a powerlifeter I'm not our goals and dietary requirements are different. You obviously want mass and size and I'm just looking to get lean and cut.
    I cited a study and got banned for "advertising". I kept this one as a backup, and there's something up with the hotmail accounts on TSR right now.

Fat stores are excess energy stored for when your body enters a hypocaloric state. When you ingest protein, some of it will be siphoned off to be converted to glucose to supply the cells in your body. Because fat is used to create hormones, it will be used for that before it is used as a calorie source. Remember that training is not the only caloric demand placed on your body. You need a baseline of calories just to keep things running, and as you get steadily lower, these start to shut down. Some female figure competitors can have their periods stop, or even become infertile, because they lack the energy to keep the menstrual cycle going.

Actually, there are plenty of powerlifters that do bodybuilding as well. The middleweight classes tend to be made up of pretty shredded guys, who diet just so they can fit in their weight class. Brad Loomis and Eric Helms are two good examples of cross-sport athletes. The goals may be different, but the process is still the same.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    :facepalm: The amount of protein needed is dependent on the person tbh and their goals. Some require more some require less. In fact eating loads of protein Is a good way of losing weight. Since protein takes alot longer for the body to breakdown compared with other foods. This keeps you fuller for longer and your less likely to over eat and put on weight. :yes:
    Not massively between people. If you exercises a lot, then of course you need a bit more than a person who is sedentary. However a minimum of 0.5g/kg per person is kind of a minimum. Protein is indeed satiating, however we're talking in already reasonably satiating amounts of protein. Whilst keto is a thing, that's outside of the scope of what we're discussing here.

(Original post by TheStudentPower2)
    Of course your body will be able to put on muscle without carbs, they're completely unrelated to muscle-protein synthesis. In a hypercaloric state, muscle gain is accelerated due to higher levels of insulin and less uptake of protein for energy.

The problem is that it's not the optimal approach to take. You might be making gains, but they're likely attenuated due to higher protein uptake for energy in a hypocaloric state. Your protein is being used for energy because you lack other sources. If you go on a low-carb diet, you need to increase fat to compensate.

I currently hold seven Scottish powerlifting records, and I've represented Scotland at the BDFPA Four Nations Championships. I don't see why that makes a difference though, science is applicable regardless of who says it or how much they lift.
    Yeah, forgive me for calling you out. Any evidence of this? Cause I find it quite unreal how many record holders TSR seems to attract :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Who said you'll be starving yourself lol. If you wanna lose weight you consume less calories, if you want mass than consume more simple.
    Eating under 2000 calories when you're 5'11, 12 stone and 18 years old is basically starving though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I am Kira)
    I'm 18, 5'11(I think) and 12 stone
    I'm going gym 5 times a week, llifting weights working on upper body and legs
    Should I be eating excess calories on top of my daily requirement or less calories
    I'm trying to lose body fat and gain muscle, not looking into bluking up just increased strength
    Hi,

This purely depends on how much weight you want to lose

When I use to cut towards a show I dropped my calories around 200kcal below my daily requirement.

Also I increased my protein and fats and dropped my carbs.

So I will say try those things and make sure you monitor it using fitness pall so you can refer back to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I am Kira)
    I'm 18, 5'11(I think) and 12 stone
    I'm going gym 5 times a week, llifting weights working on upper body and legs
    Should I be eating excess calories on top of my daily requirement or less calories
    I'm trying to lose body fat and gain muscle, not looking into bluking up just increased strength
    Hi,

This purely depends on how much weight you want to lose

When I use to cut towards a show I dropped my calories around 200kcal below my daily requirement.

Also I increased my protein and fats and dropped my carbs.

So I will say try those things and make sure you monitor it using fitness pall so you can refer back to it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 12, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.