The Student Room Group

Help! I think I am going crazy or the world is crazy.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by AlbertXY
It is also true that in this scenario that neither observers can know which one of them is red-shifting.
Relative to each other they both are expanding their length apart.

The simple situation is this, you start at 0 in the present with me, you expand your length of space between us, time, motion and events remain synchronous.

Both would see the other person to be redshifting.
Reply 41
Original post by Kyx
Both would see the other person to be redshifting.

Yes , that is what I said. Relatively neither observer knows who is moving and both observers , observe the doppler of each other, a double simultaneous doppler affect.
Reply 42
Yes , that is what I said. Relatively neither observer knows who is moving and both observers , observe the doppler of each other, a double simultaneous doppler affect.

Yes.
Reply 43
Original post by Kyx
Yes.

There is only one problem, if the wavelength of light is being ''stretched'' and becomes a longer wavelength, then this obviously suggests the light between M1 and M2 is already compressed and a shorter wavelength to begin with, so to me something sounds amiss with that?
Reply 44
There is only one problem, if the wavelength of light is being ''stretched'' and becomes a longer wavelength, then this obviously suggests the light between M1 and M2 is already compressed and a shorter wavelength to begin with, so to me something sounds amiss with that?

The fact that you are moving away from the source of light (or the source is moving away from you) means that each part of the wave is sent from a position slightly further away than the last. This makes the wave appear stretched.
Reply 45
Original post by Kyx
The fact that you are moving away from the source of light (or the source is moving away from you) means that each part of the wave is sent from a position slightly further away than the last. This makes the wave appear stretched.

I understand that but you have not understood my point. Light travels through free space , it is ''gin-clear'' in appearance, when this wave(s)/frequency are compressed between 400nm -700nm they become the visible spectrum, Red being about 700nm the longer wavelength and 400nm being blue a shorter wavelength, so regardless of increased distance, something is telling me that red-shift 400nm is the stretching of 700nm blue, so when I consider the ''gin-clear'' , (the spectrum beyond vision, invisible light) is a longer length than red?

In short the white light is compressing to show red?
Reply 46
I understand that but you have not understood my point. Light travels through free space , it is ''gin-clear'' in appearance, when this wave(s)/frequency are compressed between 400nm -700nm they become the visible spectrum, Red being about 700nm the longer wavelength and 400nm being blue a shorter wavelength, so regardless of increased distance, something is telling me that red-shift 400nm is the stretching of 700nm blue, so when I consider the ''gin-clear'' , (the spectrum beyond vision, invisible light) is a longer length than red?

In short the white light is compressing to show red?

The 400nm blue is stretched into 700nm red
Reply 47
Original post by Kyx
The 400nm blue is stretched into 700nm red

Only when the Sun goes down and the angle is changed. That may confuse you but think why the sky is really blue?

Rayleigh scattering I know, but blue is compression, the permeability of the earths electromagnetic field compressing the wave to blue. When the angle changes and the compression becomes stretched we see a red sky my friend.

Imagine light permeating through free space to be like a stretched piece of elastic, but when the tip of the elastic encounters permeability, this causes the elastic to ''sag''.

added- in the m1 and m2 scenario we should only observe ''clear''..

I think light is attracted to things and only exists between two bodies. Quanta tunnelling.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 48
permeate.jpg
Reply 49
Gravitational pressure between bodies m1 and m2 and the permeability of the ionise layer causing radiation pressure (compression) and a blue sky
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest