Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    May be readily available would have been a better choice for words.
    Now he tells me! {Starts chewing the forum carpet}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    Now he tells me! {Starts chewing the forum carpet}
    You should know how it is with some people especially within the debate and discussion section, one word in replace of another, despite being not too different, can put a whole different spin to a whole debate by a certain reader.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    You should know how it is with some people especially within the debate and discussion section, one word in replace of another, despite being not too different, can put a whole different spin to a whole debate by a certain reader.
    define what you mean by "word"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    define what you mean by "word"
    I believe he means the definition of a certain word, or even a regional understanding of the word. E.g. ass and ass. Buttocks and Donkey.

ReputationRep:
    I say NO to all of them - human life is too sacred to consider any of the options.

All least I'm consistent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    Personally I am for abortion and Euthanasia but against the death penalty. I don't think that this is hypocritical really. I am for abortion because I think that sometimes parents should have the right to terminate the pregnancy if the foetus is abnormal, I also think that abortion should be available to women who want it for social reasons because if it isn't allowed there are likely to be many unwanted babies with the current rate of unwanted pregnancy and women may have dangerous backstreet abortions. I think that a person that is in serious pain and of sound mind should be able to end their life to stop their suffering however I feel that is should be highly regulated. However I disagree with the death penalty because you are killing a heathly living breathing person in the name of revenge, I think it is hypocritical and brutal.
    I'm going to have to agree with randdom here. Well said. The death penalty is hypocritical. Abortion is perfectly ok and much better than bringing a child into this world if one is ill prepared to look after it. Euthanasia is easily explained by my mother who spent the last 9 months of her life in a hospital bed suffering her third cancer. She desperately wished that euthanasia was legalised in Australia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    I say NO to all of them - human life is too sacred to consider any of the options.

All least I'm consistent
    Consistent yes, but are you really against euthanasia with proper controls to stop blatant murder?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Euthanasia is easily explained by my mother who spent the last 9 months of her life in a hospital bed suffering her third cancer. She desperately wished that euthanasia was legalised in Australia.
    My mum is in the same situation at the moment. She has sever MS and she knows that all she wants has in the future is deterioration. She has often told me that there is a stage in the future where she thinks she will want to die. She gets very depressed about how her life is. I think that it is horrible that she can't decide to legally die when she wants to. I don't understand why people are again euthanasia as a principle.

ReputationRep:
    My mum is in the same situation at the moment. She has sever MS and she knows that all she wants has in the future is deterioration. She has often told me that there is a stage in the future where she thinks she will want to die. She gets very depressed about how her life is. I think that it is horrible that she can't decide to legally die when she wants to. I don't understand why people are again euthanasia as a principle.

i'm assuming you meant against euthanasia and i support your view however i think that it should be a very well monitored process such as psychological assements of the person state of mind when she ask for abortion etc... and also a monitoring body would have to be set up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Consistent yes, but are you really against euthanasia with proper controls to stop blatant murder?
    But the whole point with euthanasia is that murder wouldn't be "blatant". It could often be almost impossible to really tell. I don't know what you mean by proper controls but I don't really see what could be done to ensure the system was not misused. I said no to all three because in my opinion, killing is killing and is never acceptable. Once you start allowing more and more opportunities to kill other human beings, it's a slippery slope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah101)
    But the whole point with euthanasia is that murder wouldn't be "blatant". It could often be almost impossible to really tell. I don't know what you mean by proper controls but I don't really see what could be done to ensure the system was not misused. I said no to all three because in my opinion, killing is killing and is never acceptable. Once you start allowing more and more opportunities to kill other human beings, it's a slippery slope.
    Ah the slippery slope arguement, its not an arguement that can be used really to deserne whether the actions are right or wrong. Whether things escalate for want of a better word is more down to the law makers and the particular wording of the legislation. This factor should not stop us doing things which are morally right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    Ah the slippery slope arguement, its not an arguement that can be used really to deserne whether the actions are right or wrong. Whether things escalate for want of a better word is more down to the law makers and the particular wording of the legislation. This factor should not stop us doing things which are morally right.
    Aside from the fact that I don't think they're morally right, i don't see why we shouldn't let it stop us. In an ideal world we would make the laws and everyone would abide by them and it would be fine. But that won't ever happen and we have to acknowledge that.

ReputationRep:
    Aside from the fact that I don't think they're morally right, i don't see why we shouldn't let it stop us. In an ideal world we would make the laws and everyone would abide by them and it would be fine. But that won't ever happen and we have to acknowledge that.
    why do you think they are morally wrong? (outside of religoius reasons)

ReputationRep:
    why do you think they are morally wrong? (outside of religoius reasons)
    I'm not religious. I believe we don't have the right to take away another life, as simple as that. In my opinion killing is killing and is always wrong.

The problems I have with the death penalty are that I think it's hypocritical to do the same thing to someone as what they have often themselves just been condemned for, and that there will always be a chance the convict is innocent.

Abortion I find the worst, I know it depends on at which point you see life as starting but I see it as conception. Killing a foetus is to me no better than killing a baby. I find it unbelievably cruel and selfish to kill another human just because they're not arriving at a particulaly convenient time.

Euthanasia is the most difficult to condemn, because the person is able to say they want to die. I just think that it is incredibly hard on the people that knew the ill person to know that they wanted to go rather than spend their remaining time with them. I know this is where I'll get people saying they'd completely understand if that's what their parent/partner/friend wanted. But i wouldn't feel that way. I also think it is unfair on the person asked to commit the euthanasia, and there's also the constant not knowing whether they might have got better or a cure might have been found (in some cases).

I know that the last one is not so much about morals as my own feelings and opinion, but bear in mind that the original question was whether they should be legal, which was why I answered how I did in the poll.

ReputationRep:
    Euthanasia is the most difficult to condemn, because the person is able to say they want to die. I just think that it is incredibly hard on the people that knew the ill person to know that they wanted to go rather than spend their remaining time with them. I know this is where I'll get people saying they'd completely understand if that's what their parent/partner/friend wanted. But i wouldn't feel that way. I also think it is unfair on the person asked to commit the euthanasia, and there's also the constant not knowing whether they might have got better or a cure might have been found (in some cases).
    I understand where you are coming from but I think that even with how you feel there would be a point where you may consider euthanasia. When you have to see the person you love in so much pain. See them gradually deteriorate knowing that all there is in the future is death. You start to understand why they want to die. And however much your heart is telling you to keep them with you to tell them that you don't want them to die any earlier than they need to, you also know the pain that they will have to suffer if they continue to live. And it is then that you start to realise that euthanasia may be the anwer in some cases.

In reponse to you other post nobody who didn't want to carry out the euthanasia should have to.

ReputationRep:
    I understand where you are coming from but I think that even with how you feel there would be a point where you may consider euthanasia. When you have to see the person you love in so much pain. See them gradually deteriorate knowing that all there is in the future is death. You start to understand why they want to die. And however much your heart is telling you to keep them with you to tell them that you don't want them to die any earlier than they need to, you also know the pain that they will have to suffer if they continue to live. And it is then that you start to realise that euthanasia may be the anwer in some cases.

In reponse to you other post nobody who didn't want to carry out the euthanasia should have to.
    It must be an incredibly difficult situation to be in, I think that of the three it's by far the least black-and-white. As I said, my arguments against euthanasia are more from my own opinions of how I would feel rather than a moral standpoint and that makes it more difficult to justify why I am against it. It's just that I can't stop myself thinking killing is killing, whatever name you give it and whatever reason it is for and I will always believe taking another human life to be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    It must be an incredibly difficult situation to be in, I think that of the three it's by far the least black-and-white. As I said, my arguments against euthanasia are more from my own opinions of how I would feel rather than a moral standpoint and that makes it more difficult to justify why I am against it. It's just that I can't stop myself thinking killing is killing, whatever name you give it and whatever reason it is for and I will always believe taking another human life to be wrong.
    The key question that has to be asked with regards to abortion is why do you think that the egg immediately after fertilisation is a human? I do not think it is a human and that means that its termination isn't murder.

ReputationRep:
    The key question that has to be asked with regards to abortion is why do you think that the egg immediately after fertilisation is a human? I do not think it is a human and that means that its termination isn't murder.
    Because it has all the basic make-up of a human being, and if nature were allowed to run its course it would become a baby, child, adult etc. When do you think a human becomes a human?

ReputationRep:
    Because it has all the basic make-up of a human being, and if nature were allowed to run its course it would become a baby, child, adult etc. When do you think a human becomes a human?
    After fertilisation there must be some point where we could be able to sample its DNA and would be conclusive as to belong to humans?

ReputationRep:
    After fertilisation there must be some point where we could be able to sample its DNA and would be conclusive as to belong to humans?
    it doesn't matter from the point of conception onwards we know it has the full complement of chromosomes and genetically is human except maybe in the case of that woman who gave birth to a frog but that was because she went swimming in a river

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.