Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why does any religion exist in this day and age? Watch

ReputationRep:
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0714103828.htm
    Find this article really interesting. Don't really know if this adds anything to this debate but thought I'd just leave it here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dozyrosie)
    Every now and then one hears wise words, then someone comes up with this kind of crap. How many people were killed today because of religion? There are no advantages in a system that gives an excuse to kill.
    You also have to remember how many people have been given meaning by having a religion. Overall, it encourages people to be respectful towards one another. Don't be mislead by the media who only report bad incidents involving religion, as there are tons of good incidents involving religion which go unnoticed. Yes, some of the laws are outdated and I'm not saying religion is perfect but the advantages still outweigh the disadvantages.

ReputationRep:
    because some people are determined not to think about what ideas they were raised with and conditioned to never question - in other words, some people are incredibly reluctant to actually use their brains for very important and complicated (sometimes very emotional) issues. this makes them unable to realise their true level of intelligence when it comes to certain philosophical questions, because they are internally forced to accept the ideas of their religion or theological notions of truth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'absurde)
    :toofunny:

You're so ignorant, it's hilarious. I guess religious folk will do anything to keep up the fairy tale. :rolleyes:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    He wasnt a Christian or belonging to a religion, that much you are right about. He certainly did believe in God though and that wiki post is rather lazy.

Some Einstein comments on God:

I’m not an atheist, and I don’t think I can call myself a pantheist. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangement of the books but doesn’t know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God. We see the universe marvelously arranged and obeying certain laws but only dimly understand these laws. Our limited minds grasp the mysterious force that moves the constellations.

“Einstein always protested against being regarded as an atheist. In a conversation with Prince Hubertus of Lowenstein, for example, he declared, ‘What really makes me angry is that they [people who say there is no God] quote me for support of their views.’ Einstein renounced atheism because he never considered his denial of a personal God as a denial of God.”9

Certain it is that a conviction, akin to religious feeling, of the rationality or intelligibility of the world lies behind all scientific work of a higher order…. This firm belief, a belief bound up with deep feeling, in a superior mind that reveals itself in the world of experience, represents my conception of God.14

My religiosity consists of a humble admiration of the infinitely superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble minds. That deeply emotional conviction of the presence of a superior reasoning power, which is revealed in the incomprehensible universe, forms my idea of God.16

Einstein was no pantheist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HurtfulHarold)
    You also have to remember how many people have been given meaning by having a religion. Overall, it encourages people to be respectful towards one another. Don't be mislead by the media who only report bad incidents involving religion, as there are tons of good incidents involving religion which go unnoticed. Yes, some of the laws are outdated and I'm not saying religion is perfect but the advantages still outweigh the disadvantages.
    No they don't. Because of religion we have had repressive laws against personal freedom. Religion has given us nothing but hatred, slavery was accepted just because the Christian Bible supported it, religions are ripe with misogyny, and of course the killings that have been used in the name of religion.
    All these people who you claim have been given meaning would get a better meaning if they picked up a science book, rather than a book of tribal hatred.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dozyrosie)
    No they don't. Because of religion we have had repressive laws against personal freedom. Religion has given us nothing but hatred, slavery was accepted just because the Christian Bible supported it, religions are ripe with misogyny, and of course the killings that have been used in the name of religion.
    All these people who you claim have been given meaning would get a better meaning if they picked up a science book, rather than a book of tribal hatred.
    It's a possibility and it will have it's advantages but both you and I know it won't be happening any time soon. I agree that there are quesionable parts of religion that make me wonder why anyone follows it, but I like to look at it as a whole. Most people completely disregard the questionable sections of the holy books: they don't take it every word for word anyways. For the moment, at least, we need to work on battling relihiois hatred and helping extremists find the right way, as religion won't disappear any time soon

ReputationRep:
    I used to be a Christian myself. If you read Hebrews 10:26 in the Bible, it's what put the nail in the coffin for this religion and all other religions as it contradicts what 'God' has 'promised'.
    "If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left."

This means that if you deliberately 'sin', you will be in 'eternal judgement forever in hell.' Funnily enough, it says that if I know more of the Bible for example, and if I deliberately break these rules with deliberation, I supposedly get the same 'judgement.'

I began to lose my faith in religion as everything failed to come together. I knew that I had to take responsibility for my own actions and that my actions alone don't need to be controlled by a 'God'. I left religion behind for good.

I'd rather see people contribute to society to the best of their ability e.g. becoming doctors, engineers etc. than seeing them read off a book and earning money off of it e.g. priests. Life is more than just reading off a book, dream of anything you want to be that is lawful, just anything but becoming a priest! I don't want people to use 'evidence' off of a fictional book either, evidence should be solid and concrete!

Churches don't pay tax either in the UK or in the US, which is a mystery to me considering that some priests are making money off of exploitation. Some of their proceedings do go to charities, which is good, but some people in church etc. are convinced to giving these people money. There is an overwhelming amount of public support from England's 38 million Christians in which some of them donate to churches, which is why churches are still being maintained and why people still continue to blindly believe that there's a 'God'. In fact, the Church of England earns 40 million more than McDonalds! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...fee-chain.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loginrunner)
    It's dumb for you to think Science has managed to prove that there is no God.
    Equally, scientists haven't been able to prove the existence of God either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HurtfulHarold)
    It's a possibility and it will have it's advantages but both you and I know it won't be happening any time soon. I agree that there are quesionable parts of religion that make me wonder why anyone follows it, but I like to look at it as a whole. Most people completely disregard the questionable sections of the holy books: they don't take it every word for word anyways. For the moment, at least, we need to work on battling relihiois hatred and helping extremists find the right way, as religion won't disappear any time soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    I'm kinda tired tbh so I'll watch his vid tomorrow (if I remember to)

ReputationRep:
    Why the **** do all these atheists think their smart? I'm not religious, but I'm pretty sure most people just believe in what their told, the news says gold isn't real, so you guys think you've got some new, original opinion that no gods exist. In North Korea they are told the leader is the best, so thats what they think.

Its equally stupid to say there is a god and there is no god.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 5, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.