Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Freedom to come in and go out at whatever time I want, to live with friends etc. I crave the independence of moving away for uni.

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to move out because I wanted the chance to live somehat, but not completely independently before I move out properly. I didn't want to have to adjust from spending 18+ years at home then suddenly have to do everything by myself. Plus I wouldn't have to do it alone as everyone else in accommodation would most likely be doing the same. I take a while to adapt, so I feel I need some time to get used to it.

To be honest, considering that most would likely have or want to move out at some point, I was really surprised at the number of people in my school who even wanted to stay in the same city they've lived in for years. Especially with the number of people who want to travel etc. I do know quite a few people who are moving into accommodation anyway. That I don't really get, since you'd still be living within commuting distance and could save money. I understand living and going to uni in a completely different city though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I am Kira)
    Lol I'm not controlled at all, I do what I want most of the time
    And if you've never had this luxury before, is it any wonder why we want to move out?

Personally I got sick of sleeping within a strict time slot (and by strict, I mean no later than 9:30 getting up or earlier than 22:00 going to bed. God forgive if you decide to take a nap in the middle of the afternoon, you lazy git), being called 24/7 to do something (then hearing "why does no one help me!?!?! After I've spent a whole day doing nothing else) and being asked dumb af questions like "Why are you in the toilet?"

I can't stand passive aggressive and sensitive people who whine about themselves all the time, but that's all that my house is full of.

ReputationRep:
    At home you have free accomodation, free food, someone to iron your clothes, you don't have to buy cooking utensils and you won't commute back and forth
    if i stayed home it wouldnt be free and my uni is an hour and a half from my house and 10 minutes from my halls so halls is easier.

Lol I'm not controlled at all, I do what I want most of the time
    I'd rather focus on my studies than taking on new responisibities plus I don't want to be a financial burded on my parents
    personally i will never be free to do what i want until i leave. so at 18 it seems sensible to leave the nest and allow myself to be free.

also, not everyone who moves will be funded by their parents. im much more of a burden if i stay here because once i leave my parents have made it clear i won't see a penny.

It's a lot less stress, I don't have to do it all the time unlike when you're independent
    most of us dont mind cos wel hav to do it ourselves eventually. for those of us wiv issues at home or who jus value independence its worth the stress.

finally someones whos logical and realistic
    did u even read the replies bruv plenty of logical answers were given.

basically, whatever reasons u hav to stay don't apply to all. not everyone has the same homelife or cld even find a course close to them.

and for some its jus an experience they need to hav. everyones journey is different. hope this helps put things in perspective.

ReputationRep:
    I want my independence and it's too stressful to live at my parents. Also if I commuted to University, which is 2 hours away, I'd leave the house at 6am and get in at 10pm, so wouldn't really have much of a life.

Living on campus gives me access to societies and clubs and tbh it's cheaper than I was paying at my parents house.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    At home you have free accomodation, free food, someone to iron your clothes, you don't have to buy cooking utensils and you won't commute back and forth
    Well yeah for many reasons be it a long (well university long) commute accommodation could work out cheaper or the course could only be offered a long way away or you might just love the city or it's a really good uni or you just dance moving out and getting the full experience it also allows you to "grow".

ReputationRep:
    A change of scenery!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I left home for uni because I wanted to gain independence, do a subject I actually wanted to study, and because living in my hometown for 18 years drove me close to suicide. My mental health's been a lot better since I left. I left home so I wouldn't kill myself.

ReputationRep:
    I live in a rural area, so there are no universities around! In order for me to attend university I would have to move out, because I don't live in a city!

ReputationRep:
    I live in London, so there were a multitude of good uni's at my disposal. However I really wanted to move out. Even my parent's insisted that I move out and gain independence. There's nothing like being able to do things at your own pace, and not worry about curfews or how drunk you'll appear when you stumble back home.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I didnt like the course at my uni near home, and also wanted to move out so I could learn how to be an adult!

ReputationRep:
    Independence. Of course for the first few weeks I'll regret this when I go to do the washing and make all my clothes shrink, but I'll find a way through it. Mainly because I hate having to abide to my mum's rigorous scheduling, being my own person will be hard but worthwhile (I hope).

ReputationRep:
    I moved away from home for university. Yes it cost me more, but by moving away I got into a better university than I could have done if I'd commuted, I lived closer to the university- first year I lived on campus, second and third years I lived a 15 mins walk away, I enjoyed the social side without having to worry about how I was going to get home and I met people through living in halls.

ReputationRep:
    Both my sons stayed at home rather than moving away. Given the amount of time they actually have to be at uni it saved a fortune. We bought them a car each to travel but they were responsible for all the costs of it ( by no means a new one) we are an ordinary working family and by no means have "money" but we vowed to support them during study. We did not give them cash but certainly did not expect them to contribute financially. They came and went as they pleased, staying over with uni mates and did not miss out, saving a fortune.
    We happen to get on very well and it was lovely not to "lose" them just yet!!!
    Each to their own it worked for us

ReputationRep:
    I did it for new environment and freedom

ReputationRep:
    If I had the option, I'd not move out. I'd prefer to keep my 20K thx. You will be "independent" for the rest of your life. No need to rush.

ReputationRep:
    You get more independence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Most people don't live next to the university they want to go to.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Suburbia gets old after the age 16, I literally have nothing to do being 40+ minutes away from the city. Everyone around me is either an upwardly mobile working couple or a little kid on a scooter.

And yes of course, I just want total independence - not having anyone ask to do things when I've already done them, not having anyone nag or discourage me from going out etc etc

But really, because I'm an expat kid who moved to 4+ different countries in the first have of my life, I'm kind of getting the itch to move somewhere totally new now that I've been in Aberdeen for almost 9-10 years.

So in summation: neighbourhood isn't the best place to be a young adult, independence, expat kid/international school kid itch to move, starting over again afresh with completely new faces

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wanted to go to a decent uni and didn't study hard enough to go to Warwick lol.......

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.